Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Fiesta Powershift Problems

Traquare

Hi again,

As many of you may know, I waited 4 months for my beloved 2013 Fiesta Powershift Titanium X to be built, and was finally delivered on 19th July 2013.

About 2 months after, I started to notice a grinding/rattle noise whenever the car changed gear at low speed. And started to make the car judder when pulling away. (Which I assumed was down to tyres needing to be inflated, but turns out I was very wrong) I know you can always hear SOME noise from an auto and this one is a dual clutch so I figured it was just down to that, so I ignored it.

Over the winter however, it has got much much MUCH worse, and I took it into Benfield Ford. Not once, but 3 times. Got fobbed off with "...just needed a software update..." Didn't make a difference, and just when I was at the brink of just ignoring the noise and the juddering and struggling to change gear, I went to Oxford (300 miles from my home in North Yorkshire) and it got so bad that it was making the noise constantly.

To cut a long story short, RAC put me in a Premier Inn for the night, RAC bloke comes out in morning and takes it for a spin - it made a horrific scraping noise (to which he said "Well blow me down.....).

He followed me half way home and then we met in service station and told me I could attempt to drive it home as he thought it would most likely be safe (but to pull over and call them back if need be) or he could recover me home. I chose to try drive it home, which I did do.

Then once I was back I took it into Ford and this time I DEMANDED the HEAD of the service department comes out with me for a drive until it made the noise...... Not a sound for 20 minutes (though plenty of juddering and struggling to change from 1st to 3rd), and at this point I'm practically BEGGING the car to make the noise! But nothing.....until right when we're pulling back into Benfield, when she let's loose "Grrrrrriiinndddd.....and the service manager's face goes pale. He knew there was something VERY seriously wrong with that gearbox....

That was 3 weeks ago...

I've been given the most horrific Peugeot 308 hire car (I know beggars can't be choosers, but this thing is the epitome of crap french build quality -or lack of- and it point blank refuses to reverse) and my Fiesta is STILL parked in exactly the same space at Benfield that she has done for 3 weeks.

Apparently they are replacing the 'Clutch Assembly?!?!' (Not entirely sure what that is)

I rang up earlier to find out if there was any update and got told the EXACT same thing I was told this time last week... "We've got all your parts, we're just waiting for some sealant. Could be a few days, could be a few weeks.."

- Now, is it me, or is that pretty disgraceful that:

A: My brand new car needs repairs so severe that they need 'sealant?'

&

B: That I'm being made to wait all this time for some sealant that apparently could even be out of production, rendering this whole ordeal to continue for several weeks, if not months from now.

Apparently, this is a very common fault with the PowerShift gearbox on all Ford Automatic Models, but more commonly with Fiesta & Focus.

So my question is, do any of you, or have any of you had the same problem with an Automatic (Powershift) gearbox??? How long did it take to be solved??

Many thanks, apologies for the long winded rant!

Tracey

• Like 1

Hi

I have a powerschift ecoboort no probs at all at the moment the car has now 2600KM on it

The powershift works flawless

Phone them up and explain that your contemplating rejecting the car. Watch them pull their finger out! Just make sure you speak to the right person though, usually the aftersales manager (why are there so many managers at dealers?)

You state the car juddering etc at low speed and changing gear. Is this a certain gear sequence, like 1st to 2nd only?

Phone them up and explain that your contemplating rejecting the car. Watch them pull their finger out! Just make sure you speak to the right person though, usually the aftersales manager (why are there so many managers at dealers?)

You state the car juddering etc at low speed and changing gear. Is this a certain gear sequence, like 1st to 2nd only?

Hi thanks, but it's in the Ford garage now being fixed. I totally agree with what you're saying, however it's a Motability car, so is leased. Which makes it a lot more difficult to reject it, as Motability own the car now. x

Sorry was using my phone.

The car is back in Ford now and I've been given a brand new Focus Estate Hire Car that was fresh off the transporter that day... (this is a relevant point).

I'm now on the second day of driving it, and low and behold - Grinding noise!! Identical to mine but worse!

Could not believe my ears!!!!!

A friend has told me that the 'Getrag' dual clutch Transmission - Powershift as it's known on the market, is dropping to bits worldwide!!!

I have a feeling that, even when my car get's a brand new Powershift gearbox installed, or I get a new Fiesta with Powershift, the exact same thing is going to happen to that!!

Totally at a loss now!!

Might break all the common advice, and get a Citreon!!!!!

Devastated as I love my Fifi the Fiesta!!!! :(

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there

i am now on 6000 KM no probs so farr

i have the same juddering in my 13 plate 1.6 fiesta . sometimes it judders some times its OK.had it in my previous car (a vw polo new shape.),i have had my car back to wigan ford a couple of times judder clears for a bit then its back again,

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

car booked in for the 22nd october over car juddering when pulling off,this time though i have got ford uk involved.will keep posted.

Hmm I was to Quick mine is going next week for a compleet New transmision and clutch
The old is going back for investigation to germany

• 2 weeks later...

quick update car is in gordons of wigan,dropped off wednesday night 22nd oct. they have found a problem when they have plugged in to there computer,as of yet thought i have been informed they have sent data off to engineers at ford uk,and gordons of wigan are waiting for conformation to carry on with opening gearbox,i=at least i have a courtesy car.

once i hear anything else i will let report back.

this week they replace the clutch and gearbox for a new one so wait and see.

got phone call today they are replacing the clutch.hopefully get it back tomorrow.bad news though i only have 15000 miles on the clock and need a new clutch.

Has it been ok since the clutch change?

I dont knop yet I pick up the car in the afternoon

UPDATE. received phone call today to go and pick my fiesta up,new clutch has been fitted,got to the garage got my keys went and started my car and service spanner was not going off,went back in to service got manager he came out tryed for 10mins to reset service light to no prevail,had to leave it there i was not amused and they knew it had my rant at them and left.

got phone call 3 hours later was told car is ready now so went and picked car up was told there were fault codes so has all been set. thank god.

was told that regarding all powershift with these cluches there have been fault after fault through the ford range,i was told i have been given the newer clutch and been given all the new software,

must agree car seems better smoother and quietly every thing seems ok at present. i did ask how much it would of cost if i had to pay was told £1600.because of the double clutch.and labour. will give it a run over weekend see how it goes.

• 2 months later...

1. 1 was thinking of trading my fiesta in for an auto, the ford saleman advised me against it, as it is a flawed design with no longevity, and 1 to 2k to replace box, so i'll stick to manual.

stupid answer from that salesman .

I have the new revision from the powershift under warranty and the problems they had should be over now.

Ford is giving me 3 years extra warranty on the powershift so that should cover it.

And the new tranny is much smoother in shifting and the new ratio is good.

the same tranny is in the focus mondeo etcetc.

Not the same as mondeo, , there is now 5 yr warranty as standard on powershift issues

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just signed up. I did read this thread some time back but now feel like joining you all.

I bought my Fiesta (titanium 1.6 auto) in March on a 2013 plate. It had 22k on the clock but Ford engines go on forever (don't they?!) and I don't do much mileage so would even it out.

It wasn't long after I got it (well in fact, it kangeroo'd out of the dealership but I thought that was me!) that I noticed the dodgy pulling away. I did some research and found out that the car has to get to know how you want to drive so can be a bit jerky... yeah ok, I'll "accept" that idea.

It did improve as I got more confident with it (I had an A class auto merc before and can't say I had this problem at all!).

However, after doing any long motorway run, as soon as I came off into traffic I got the real juddering at pulling away, grinding and clunking noises. More research indicated it's a well know problem with this transmission, although Ford would have you believe it's the auto clutch emulating a manual transmission/ how a manual car drives - really??

Booked it in to the dealer/ service shop. Well actually I made a mechanic come out for a drive with me and luckily the car did it's thing. So then I booked it in BUT they had to make it do it again and it took 2 test drives but they did get the judder. Needed a software update - couldn't be done because a new one had come out that they couldn't download?!

Anyway, it did get updated and I thought it had solved it - but no. It does play up particularly under load too (embarrassing with people in the car with you! It's like driving for the first time all over again).

It's in the service shop again and they are now going to put in new solenoids, which they have to get from Ford UK. (Meanwhile they gave me a KA manual - eeks, been a long time driving a manual - not pretty!).

So... do you think that will help? Also, I just read this article http://www.caradvice.com.au/321473/ford-fiesta-focus-ecosport-

warranties-extended-over-dual-clutch-transmission-shudder/

"In a letter to owners, Ford Australia said it had extended the new vehicle warranty to cover “repairs on the clutch and input shaft seals on the transmission, as well as the transmission software calibration, to a total of five years or 160,000km from the vehicle’s warranty start date, whichever occurs first”.

Is/ has Ford UK done the same? Shouldn't they be doing so?
Thanks for reading!

Ford uk are doing the same warranty on powershift, as for solenoids fixing your oroblem , I doubt, what gesrs does it jerk in, from 1fst to 2nd change or all gears?

Thanks for replying :)

On the warranty... are they? I've not been notified.

Yes, low gears, pulling away from a standing start mostly. I can't imagine what the car behind must think.

Ordinary day to day local driving doesn't seem to replicate it. Most noticeable after a period in high gears.

I did manage to get a nasty judder coming up a hill, between 30 - 34 mph after a longish drive, but it's not done it since. So no idea what that was.

i had prbolems between 2500 and 3000 rpm i heard then grinding noises from te powershift

and shiffitng between 5 and 6 there i had problems it had trouble to engaged the 6 gear.

<snip>

I have the new revision from the powershift under warranty and the problems they had should be over now.

Ford is giving me 3 years extra warranty on the powershift so that should cover it.

And the new tranny is much smoother in shifting and the new ratio is good.

the same tranny is in the focus mondeo etcetc.

Hi Richard,

Not sure if you'll see this but please let us know how the car is now after a new clutch.

My latest update: I wrote to the MD of Ford UK to ask about the extended warranty. Apparently, no, Ford UK are NOT doing this (as my post shows that Australia are).

Maybe you got it Richard, because you have a new clutch and therefore it should have a new warranty?

Anyway, (Oh I forgot to say) I had a call this morning from Ford UK. They have told me a new clutch unit is on order for me, so maybe not a solenoid replacement afterall. I'll know when I see the service people later. (I'm picking up my car to wait for the part to come in).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club