Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Humming Noise Inside Car

JackieR

Hi, I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this wee problem for me please ? Yesterday, on my way home from work, a humming noise started in my car. I heard something so turned down the radio to see if I could hear what it was (I actually thought it was another car). When I decided it was mine I switched off the fan (always have it on the lowest setting) and listened. It's just a humming noise .... no more I can say about that !!! When I got home it stopped when I switched off the engine, but also, I listened outside the car and I can't hear it outside. It wasn't there from the minute I started my journey to work this morning, but was there after a mile or so. To me, (and this could be wrong!),it sounds like it's coming from the back of the car. I'm at work now, and it's raining, so I haven't investigated fully, but again, it stopped when the engine switched off.

Any help would be appreciated. It's not a massive deal, but now I know it's there I find myself listening for it !!!

Cheers.

It's really important you know if it does it without the engine running. My first instinct was "wheel bearing" or maybe tyre noise, some tyres can make a humming noise which is worse on different road surfaces.

It's really important you know if it does it without the engine running. My first instinct was "wheel bearing" or maybe tyre noise, some tyres can make a humming noise which is worse on different road surfaces.

No, it stops when I switch off the engine, but it's there when the car is stationery and just idling. It was when I was sitting in traffic last night that I first noticed it to be honest. I thought it was something outside, but when I put down my window to listen I realised it was coming from inside the car, so I shut the window, put off the radio and fan and it was there, bugging me !!! Obviously i'm not aware of it whilst moving as there's road noise, but when I stop I hear it. I don't like strange noises !!!!!

The fuel pump is quite loud and can be herd. You can her it start up when you open the drivers door. If it's that then all the ecoboost Fiesta's do it.

The fuel pump is quite loud and can be herd. You can her it start up when you open the drivers door. If it's that then all the ecoboost Fiesta's do it.

Thanks, no, that's not it either. I know the noise you are speaking about, but this one is there all the time the car engine is switched on. It's a low humming noise that wasn't there until yesterday.

Does the sound change when you use any throttle or perhaps in neutral/gear?

Sent from my HUAWEI P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Have you aircon or climate control. if you have climate control theres a sensor fan to the left of your left leg.

Hi. The noise is constant so long as the engine is running, but doesn't change when revved etc. I can switch off the radio and heater/fan and it's still there. Nipped in past a local garage owned by a friend of my Brothers, and he sat in it and listened. He said that it would drive him nuts!! He, without looking, said it could he the fuel pump and I should put it in to be checked out. I bought it from Arnold Clark but not heard anything good about their after sales/servicing so may will phone another Ford garage outside Aberdeen where I put my old Fiesta for servicing. IF it's the fuel pump, is it safe to drive ??? Thanks to all for trying to help tho. Very annoying since it's only 4 months old and done just 1600 miles. :-(

If you have cc, turning the fan off doe's not turn the sensor fan off. As soon as ignition is on the sensor fan will be running

If you have cc, turning the fan off doe's not turn the sensor fan off. As soon as ignition is on the sensor fan will be running

Hi, thanks, no climate control i'm afraid.

Oh well, hopefully it doesn't explode or conk out, coz they can't look at it until Monday !!! It's a bit like trying to get a Doctor or Dentist appointment really !!!

Thanks everyone for trying to help ... it's appreciated. :)

• 1 month later...

Well, car is in today and they have just called me. It's the fuel pump (as suspected). I have to go and pick up my car and it will have to go in again once the part has been delivered.

They have assured me it's fine to drive for now, so fingers crossed they get it in and sorted before too long.

• 1 month later...

I've seen a few complaints about the noisy Bosch fuel pump...

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• 5 years later...

Hi,new to this forum.

My Fiesta Zetec S 2014,which I have owned from new and now has only 7300 miles on the clock,has never had this humming noise until last week.It's easily traced,just lift up the rear seat and the offending item is staring at you.The cause of the noise is the in tank low pressure fuel pump.No,all 1.0 ecoboost fiesta's make this noise,is not true.                                                          Just to confirm my diagnosis,I called into Bristol Street Motors,West Bromwich yesterday.This visit was an object lesson on how not to treat a potential customer.This is how it went.           After a short wait,I was greeted by an indifferent member of staff.I asked if a mechanic could spare a second just to stick his head inside my car and confirm what the noise was.The Guy behind the counter's response was that he had no one to spare and that I would have to book the car in for a diagnostic check at a cost of £80 plus v.a.t, He then went on to say "our labour rates are £80+VAT".                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 To replace the pump is relatively simple job to do so I asked how much a new pump would cost.At this point I was then passed over to the parts Guy,who sat with his back to me whilst mumbling something as he bought up the parts screen.I could not make out if he was talking to me or the counter Guy.Finally he came up with the price £98+, you guessed it VAT.                 The same pump supplied by Arnold Clark (Ford) on eBay with free delivery only cost £63.                                                                                                                                                              Thanks Bristol Street,you have reinforced my belief in that,if you want good service and prices,avoid main dealers.It has worked for me this past 54 years.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club