Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radiator Cooling Fan

johnlw

Hi All,

My wifes 1.6 TDci cooling fan has decided to run continuously and thus flattens the battery.

I pulled the relay in the fuse box behind the glove box and that didnt stop it.I have pulled the connector from the fan motor and stopped the running for the time being.

Does any one have a wiring diagram please.There is probably another relay or short somewhere.Hopefully the ECU hasnt failed..I have a Haynes fiesta manual ,but the info dosent match what I see on the the Fusion(2006).

I have located a relay box just behind the battery with three relays in it,but there is no legend on the lid as to what they are for.

Thanks

johnw

Hello,

If you pulled the relay and that didn't stop it then I'm thinking you pulled the wrong relay.

I can take a picture of the wiring diagram for you and the fuse/relay locations (give me two tics...)

I wouldn't be suspecting the ECU at this stage. As there's no thermo-switch in this circuit then you need to look at relays, fuses and the ECT sensor before that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions.If I have pulled the incorrect relay,I will be surprised as it was the one labled for the fan.I also pulled the relays next to it as well.

Right, just tried to take a pic of the wiring diagram but it's futile...can't get the detail in :(

If you have A/C then you're looking for fan relay in the passenger fusebox (wire colours - Rd, Gn/Bu, Bk,Bu, Gn/Wh). There is another relay (high speed fan) located in the engine bay relay box (wire colours - Rd, Gn/Wh, Bk/Wh, Gn/Bu).

Also check all fuses in engine fusebox (multimeter set to continuity...or a visual inspection).

If you don't have A/C you're looking for one fan relay only in the passenger fusebox (wire colours - Rd, Gn/Bu, Bk/Bu, Gn/Ye).

In both cases check fuses F16 and F12 in the passenger fusebox.

HTH

Fair enough mate..... normally relays make a high-current circuit when a motor needs to be used.

Hopefully someone who knows the circuit can advise :)

We do have A/C ,so the relay in the engine compartment may be the culprit,.Three relays in the box but cant tell which is for the fan as there is no legend and cant see wire colours from above .So may have to remove the relay box to check wire colours,but will have to wait for daylight now.Too cold and miserable out.Thanks again

By the way do you have an manual for the Fusion.I cant seem to locate one other than fro the fiesta,which does seem to be a bit different

Sounds like a faulty thermostat to me.

If the engine believes that it's too hot your cooling fan will continue to run even when it's no longer ticking. This is a safety feature so I don't think pulling fuses and relays will make a blind bit of difference to be honest. There's a plug inside your engine bay leading to your cooling fan that you can use to isolate the fan, but this thermostat needs to be changed (it can't be fixed) and the fan needs to run so once your engine's warm I'd plug it back in.

Good point ,however the engine was not overheating and the fan runs indefinetely after the engine is turned off,until in fact the battery is flat which takes quite a while.This evening the engine was cols and the fan slowly rotating with a flat battery.Put a jump pack across the battery and the fan speed right up again.

Hence it probably being a faulty thermostat. Sometimes they just stick open with age and a slight raise in heat or it could even just have shorted.

Double check your fluids etc for a root cause, your fans obviously working but maybe your radiator could be obstructed.

If you want to just isolate the fan, the plug will be along the front of the engine bay, the wires to it will extend rom the motor of the fan.

Hence it probably being a faulty thermostat. Sometimes they just stick open with age and a slight raise in heat or it could even just have shorted.

Double check your fluids etc for a root cause, your fans obviously working but maybe your radiator could be obstructed.

If you want to just isolate the fan, the plug will be along the front of the engine bay, the wires to it will extend rom the motor of the fan.

I have pulled the plug on the motor and the fan is now stationary.

battery on charge.Fluids are fine.

Not sure why you think the thermostat could be at fault.If stuck open the engine will not reach operating temperature and thsi will be reflected in a lower temp being indicated on the temp guage.If stuck closed/partially closed the temp will rise above normal levels and be indicated on the guage and this will cause the fans to come on.The guage reads normal but the fans stay after shutdown as if the engine was hot and keep running until the battery goes flat.I dont believe ECU will actually keep the fans running until the battery does go flat.Will look more in depth tomorrow.

Well to my knowledge, the only thing that will allow your cooling fan to run after the engine has stopped and the car's electrics have been switched off is its heat-activated switch (thermostat). Whether or not this is the same thermostat that controls your temperature gauge i don't know. The ECU has nothing to do with it, and even if it did, it wouldn't take the remaining charge of your battery into account. Unfortunately im only rocking a fiesta manual myself so i couldn't comment on which relay/fuse is which, but i CAN promise you once the electrics are switched off the relays are isolated and if a fuse had blown the fan wouldn't run at all.

Good luck getting to the bottom of it, im glad i could at least be of help unplugging the fan and let me know how it goes. This'll bug me for weeks otherwise. Lol

SmokinZetec is referring to a thermoswitch.....johnlw is referring to a thermostat. Two different things.

This car however doesn't have a thermoswitch; the fan gets a voltage (to come on) when the ECU reads that the engine temp. is high from the ECT (coolant temp sensor).

HTH

Ps, you need Haynes manual 5566 for the Fusion :)

The bear is 100% correct as to the confusion and how my TDCi works.

Thanks for the Manual number.Must be a recent publication as I.i am sure it was not available a couple of years back when we bought the Fusion.

Just n update on the situation.After removing the relay from the under bonnet relay box ,the fan stopped.Reinserting the relay the fan remained stationary.Car ran normally today.So I suspect this relay is intermittently remaining engaged when power is removed.Am going to try and find the part number and will order a replacement from ford.

No problem and good result mate :)

Yeah, the manual really hasn't been out long at all.... 6 months I'd guess :)

• 1 month later...

I have just completed a long journey and same thing happened ,nice

Where aboutrs are these relays iby the engine

Got it removed the weird cover broke a few stupid tabs wiggled the relay and back to normal

Cheers dude

Suggest you order a new relay and replace the malfunctioning one.If has done it once it is likely to do it again.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Can someone help me, I have the other problem, my fan won't start I have 2008 ford fusion tdci

When you say "my fan won't start", - it will not run any way until engine temperature demands it, or air con wants it to run.  Under what conditions is it not running ?

On our 2006 tdci Fiesta, the fan very rarely ran at all.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2014 at 5:35 PM, johnlw said:

The bear is 100% correct as to the confusion and how my TDCi works.

Thanks for the Manual number.Must be a recent publication as I.i am sure it was not available a couple of years back when we bought the Fusion.

Just n update on the situation.After removing the relay from the under bonnet relay box ,the fan stopped.Reinserting the relay the fan remained stationary.Car ran normally today.So I suspect this relay is intermittently remaining engaged when power is removed.Am going to try and find the part number and will order a replacement from ford.

Hi, Johnlw, just had the same problem with my wife's 2007 Ford Fusion. Happened after my son was driving it, and he noticed the noise, but left it unattended, and had a flat battery this morning. Started again as soon as I put jump leads on. Unplugged the fan, recharged until it would start, and then ran the engine a bit to fast recharge. Stopped engine, after reading this thread, opened relay box behind the battery and removed all 3 relays, plugged fan in, and it remained stopped. Plugged all 3 relays back in again, and it was working normally again. Switched air conditioning on, after a few minutes the power fan came on, switched engine off, power fan immediately stopped, and low speed fan continued for another minute. Tested again with a/c on until power fan started, switched a/c off, power fan remained on about 30 seconds, then also went off. This seems like normal to me. I would like to replace the relay that was playing up, but have no idea which of the 3 relays it was. They were brown, black and grey in clockwise order round the square, with one empty place. The parts were numbered as follows:

Brown: FoMoCo
6S6T 12A343 AA
V23136-J4-X61
12V 70A
BUTZA PA
(on top: ++07205 1B)

Black: FoMoCo
5M5T 14B192 CA
V23136-B1-X66
12V 40A
BUTZA PA
(on top: ++07271 2A)

Grey: FoMoCo
5M5T 14B192 EA
V23136-J4-X62
12V 70A
BUTZA PA
(on top: ++07312 1B)

You knew which one it was and took the part number. I know it is 5 years ago you posted it, but do you still remember which it was? BTW, I'm JohnMW - this seems to be an affliction of people with first name John and last initial W!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club