Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Footwell Lights Mk3 ??

fours600

On cars without ambient lighting there is no power on the wiring of the ambient LED's. The following setting of the Central configuration is needed to activate the "Footwell Lights" or any of the other lights that are part of the "Ambient Lighting".

#216 Aesthetic Lighting.

This setting needs to be changed from "Without Aesthetic Lighting" into "With Interior Lighting-Ambient LED".

After this setting is activated a menu appears in the intrument cluster menu to turn the ambient lighting on or off.

The Ford IDS system may not be able to change this setting directly. It may be necessary to manually change the AS-BUILT data of the car and reconfigure the BCM with this modified AS-BUILT data. My experience is that many Ford dealers do not want to do this or do not have the knowledge to do this.

That's the option I found in my research and am hoping to get switched on.

My local dealer is quite amenable, but don't know how much unofficial work they will do.

I'm guessing that there will not be a simple option to turn it on in the IDS software.

Are they able to manually edit the config file then upload it?

The problem is that the AS-BUILT data is basically just a hexadecimal code file which includes every option and setting of the car. If you want to change something in the AS-BUILT data file you have to know exactly what you are doing. Without knowing the exact meaning of every single byte this is almost impossible.

The as built tool on the Focccus developers site explains it, but I don't know if the format of file it produces is any good for ids, or can only be used with Focccus.

I must say I admire your perseverance! Would be great to be able to add some footwell lights. The 's' seems, well, bare without them. I'll be catching up again with your endeavours shortly, but if I manage to get any info in the meantime, I'll update the post!

I admire your perseverance. Just as a thought, would the footwell lights from a Mondeo be the same? Might be easier to find?

The Mondeo footwell are different from the Focus MK3 footwell lights. The footwell lights of the Focus MK3 are also used on the C-max/grand C-max (2010 onwards). The Focus MK3 footwell lights are very expensive (€42,- a piece). I bought a pair of Focus MK3 footwell lights at a local scrap yard for only a few Euro's.

Retrofitting the footwell lights is quite easy. Despite my car has a lot of options it did not have the wiring for the footwell lights so I made a wiring loom myself using the correct connector pins. The wiring loom is connected directly to the BCM module/fuse box connectors. After I installed the footwell lights and wiring I only had to change the Central Configuration of the car to make them work.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked my car up on the way back from lunch, so didn't have long to look.

But the garage has managed to turn on the ambient lighting in the central config for me. I now get the option in the driver's information cluster.

Had a very quick play with my multimeter but didn't immediately notice a voltage on the connector.

What sort of voltage am I looking for? Do you think perhaps it will only pull up the voltage when there is an actual load attached?

Unless I'm using the multimeter wrong, lol...

• 2 weeks later...

Got round to playing with wiring on my focus today, mine didnt have any wiring/ connetors either side.

Im sorted now, got ambient lighting funtion working working on instrument cluster, put extra wire into bcm and cut into interior light feed,

Footwell lights now work a treat

• 1 month later...

How/where did you put the extra wire in to the BCM?

My dealer is not getting anywhere getting these working for me. Ford technical are no help, and the garage understandably doesn't just want to stick a 12V feed in to the plates in case it burns them out...

Mine is mk 3 so different bcm I should imagine, the footwell lights connector has no power as the wiring I think doesnt come directly from bcm on yours but from ambient lighting switch in roof panel which

you dont have.

thats why even with switching on you still have nothing.

Yeah they have said I have a missing module and the loom is wrong/missing even if we wanted to wire the module up.

It would be good if we knew they just run on 12v, I know one connection on the plates is ground, but we don't know whether the input is a regulated LED power, or just straight 12v....

Yeah, pin3 is earth, pin 1 is the problem, brown/green, which is same colour for 12v supplyfrom bcm to normal bulbs for glovebox, vanity etc.

doesnt look like you can do it via ambient unless you get the overhead consule swich as that uses the lin to switch the led circuit on/off

Is it just 12v though?

No LED regulation or shaping?

If we stick 12v in to the illuminated plates when they are not designed for it, it could burn out the LEDs...

No idea on that.

• 2 years later...

Fors600 which model of focus do you have as have checked my cables and i have no voltage on the connectors at all.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

Has anybody found a way of doing this? I found the plugs, and the holders are over £40 each. Just wondering if anybody knows where to buy them cheaper?

I get the appeal of using the 'factory' option, however, if you simply want a nice practical bright footwell LED, you can get LEDs for a couple of pounds on Ebay, and simply splice them into the interior courtesy light circuit. They even fade out just as the factory light does!

510862763_footwellLEDLoRes.thumb.jpg.08110bca1f9067b65765fb621ddb0136.jpg

Hi Guys
Has anybody found a way of doing this? I found the plugs, and the holders are over £40 each. Just wondering if anybody knows where to buy them cheaper?
I have got this working on mine.
1 the ambient lighting needs to be enabled via focccus.
2 you need a roof loom from a titanium or at least a car that has ambient to start withl.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So its not the simple case of buying the lights, plug them in and activate via foccus?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gethyn1983 said:

So its not the simple case of buying the lights, plug them in and activate via foccus?

Yes it is - the OP was just taking the p**s out of us all LOL 🤣

Yes it is - the OP was just taking the p**s out of us all LOL [emoji1787]
It depends on what trim model it will not work on a ZS just by plugging it in. It will on a titanium.

It depends on the trim of you car it wont work on a ZS