Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remap & Insurance Premiums

BigRog

Hi Colin, I just ticked the box on the compare site and QMHappy's price went up by the £80, surprisingly it was the same price as the ST2 and that has 30bhp more than the Zs with the bluefin, I can't work the insurance company's out.

After having subaru's and type r and mazda mps's for the past 18 years of my life and various high powered motorbikes for the past 25 years and never had a claim or bump or conviction in over 30 years of driving, I'm still paying £314 fully comp protected on the Zs.

Only been paying aprox. £280 ish on 300bhp cars.

Got me beat how they work it out.

Roger.

Hi Colin, I just ticked the box on the compare site and QMHappy's price went up by the £80, surprisingly it was the same price as the ST2 and that has 30bhp more than the Zs with the bluefin, I can't work the insurance company's out.

After having subaru's and type r and mazda mps's for the past 18 years of my life and various high powered motorbikes for the past 25 years and never had a claim or bump or conviction in over 30 years of driving, I'm still paying £314 fully comp protected on the Zs.

Only been paying aprox. £280 ish on 300bhp cars.

Got me beat how they work it out.

Roger.

Well - looks like commonsense and logic does not come into it

There's so many factors taken into consideration when calculating insurance policies that it can make your head swim.

Where you live, where you work, your job, your age, where you park day or night, age, modifications, driving convictions, previous claims, alarms/immobilisers, garage/drive/road parking, insurance claims in your area, crime statistics in your area, etc,etc.

Your neighbour across the road could drive the exact same car but his job and the fact that his side of the road could be in a different post code or even a different Council ward will come into consideration.

Near me there is a road that has a different name on either side (weird IMHO) and the fact that the names are different really makes a difference.

There are web sites that suggest alternative job names for what you do which can alter your policy loading drastically.

Martin Lewis has this facility, type Martin Lewis car insurance job title into Google and it should be near the top.

Basically if your title is computer consultant and carries 1000 pounds in insurance premium, it suggests alternative titles such as computer technician, same job but this subtle change could save you a few hundred quid

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Last time I sorted out the insurance on the ST I think I paid around £70 extra to cover all mods including a map. Didn't think that was too bad for complete peace of mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing but I had to change insurance company's . Was originally with ford insure and they don't do modified cars

Hi so who are you insured with now you have the map.

Thanks Colin.

• 1 month later...

Ahhh.. but... i had my ST 225 mapped to 286hp (supposedly)

Now,i appreciate what you are saying about insurance companies etc BUT.... How many times in your life after buying a car, have you taken it to a garage and asked them to plug your car in and ask them to check if it has been modified? Id like to bet NONE. Fact is unless there is a digital date stamp on the remap, how can they prove you you modified the car or in fact even knew about it?

It is not common practice for ANYONE to check and in fact 90% of people wouldnt know what it is! In a court of law, with this in mind, insurance companies would lose every time. Just check that there is no date stamp before you buy.

I used Eco Vehicle Tuning who install Celtic Tuning Maps, (Portsmouth area) and the car performed very well amd the gains were very noticable.

I will probably get my new 1.6 TDCI :/ mapped Extra 41BHP and i cant remember the tq.

To be honest I'm surprised at how little the insurance companies want for declaring a remap. When you consider how much extra power a remap can give you, that extra £80 is quite good value for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Theoretically you could buy a Bluefin, and only use it off road/ on track days etc, (eg - drive to the track, install the bluefin, do your track day then un-install the bluefin ) as its not being used on the road no need to inform your insurance

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club