Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Can I Tell If My Focus Rear Windows Are Factory Tint Or Not?

Paulfocus

Hi guy, new here.

I just brought a 2001 ford focus zetec 2.0l with all three rear windows tinted. Unfortunatly because I'm a young driver my insurance company policy requires the car to be all factory standard and have no modifications.

How do I find out if the rear windows are factory tinted or were done later on? I have a lot of paper work for the car but nothing regarding the windows. Have been googling around to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks

-Paul

Hi guy, new here.

I just brought a 2001 ford focus zetec 2.0l with all three rear windows tinted. Unfortunatly because I'm a young driver my insurance company policy requires the car to be all factory standard and have no modifications.

How do I find out if the rear windows are factory tinted or were done later on? I have a lot of paper work for the car but nothing regarding the windows. Have been googling around to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks

-Paul

Non factory will have a visible clear line along the top of the window when opened

Two ways.

1. Go to Ford etis and put your reg/vin number in to see if it lists 'privacy glass' as an option. Ignore 'tinted glass' as they all have this.

2. Get in the car and have a look around the very edge of the glass. If it's aftermarket you should see where the edge of the film has been cut. Also from the outside on the rear window there may be some very slight bubbling where the tint will not sit quite right on the little bobbles in some areas of the glass.

To be honest I would think a 2001 would more likely be aftermarket as I don't think privacy glass was so prominent back then.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I can't find any edges on the the rear side windows, but the rear window itself I can clearly see a film because it has a couple of small scratch marks going through it.

It's also a 3 door so I can't open any of the tinted windows.

-Paul

Yes couldn't find anything relevant though.

The previous owner thought it was a limited edition because it has full lethers, heated front seats, traction control ect...But I'm not so sure. And even if it is the window tint may still be aftermarket which I would then have to remove.

Not sure what to do for the best. Do you think I should call the insurance company and ask them?

Like James States almost certain privacy factory glass was about then on your year of car so would take it it's a film on there pull the rubber seal back a bit you'll soon see

The bigger question is, why on God's holy earth does it matter who tinted the windows? They're tinted, and that's that.

Just another excuse to screw the consumer.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

apparently if they are factory fitted, the glass is smoked. If it isn't then it is basically a sticker. 

On my car (11 plate fiesta), I opened the boot and you could see the edge of the 'sticker' 

also, the elements for the heated rear window are a different colour underneath. 

I had the same problem and have to remove the tints myself at they will not fit a black box on my car. Any advice on how to do this? 

Thanks 

Becky 

Factory tints are actually a coloured film between the laminated glass layers instead of the standard clear film.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club