Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6Tdci Intercooler Upgrade/remap

footfistart

Hello all not sure if this has been posted before but I would like to get a better interccoler well more efficient one. Where would objet one that doesn't cost much and is a direct fit. Is the cooler from an st the same size and depth or different. I'm getting the car mapped very soon and I've been told with a service it will be around 139bhp but that's on a safe map. Anyone experienced either or both? Be nice if someone has.

Ta

Every Focus comes with the same intercooler from the factory - from 1.6 tdci to 2.5 T! So, you have to look for an aftermarket one (Forge). In my opinio intercooler upgrade for this engine is overkill. Just stick to a good remap, K&N filter and exhaust system.

Oh really oh ok well I've got kn and egr blanked off so the car should respond to that. It has done already but I'm in search of more power but economy/ efficiency. Have you had that done on your car?

Also, a larger intercooler can actually reduce power, by introducing more lag (due to the increased internal volume) a larger intercooler has a larger mass of metal, so its thermal inertia is greater (takes longer to heat up = good, but longer to cool down -bad) on a ford thier is a metal bar running behind the bumper, this can "mask" or cutoff the airflow to any part of the intercooler above this level/ behind the bumper/ bar -

So the intercooler must be carefully chosen to fit the available space, to match the engine (petrol are different to diesel too) and the state of tune, so you are probably better off with the stock one

The remap alone makes a big difference on its own (with a significant power/ torque increase on your engine/ car) but then, everything else makes a smaller difference after that, (and can cost more money, as well)

A K&N (or similar) replacement filter can help the pickup / lag from low revs, and might help throttle response and increase the power very slightly 0 to 2 Hp depending n the engine, this is comparing new to new (often a "performance" filter feels quicker as it has replaced an old. clogged stock filter

An open cone filter will lose power (due to drawing warm, underbonnet air)

A freer- flowing exuaust can increase power 5 - 15 Hp, but you have to do the entire length, the backboxes/ silencers are restrictive, as are the cat, and er.... DPF and the small diameter pipes have to be increased, as well, this will reduce lag, too

Hello all not sure if this has been posted before but I would like to get a better interccoler well more efficient one. Where would objet one that doesn't cost much and is a direct fit. Is the cooler from an st the same size and depth or different. I'm getting the car mapped very soon and I've been told with a service it will be around 139bhp but that's on a safe map. Anyone experienced either or both? Be nice if someone has.

Ta

Is jumping from 110 BHP to 136 BHP really safe on a,1.6 tdci? If so, surely the economy would take a big hit with an extra 25 HP...

It is comparatively safe. Regarding fuel economy it quite the contrary - the fuel consumption will decrease and the car will be even more provident.

But every remap will affect more or less the life of the turbocharger and the clutch kit.

Hmmmm. About to have mine mapped again after a "bad" map was installed on mine.

Car just didn't take to it at all so I got a refund and got them to reinstall the original Ford map.

Was looking at around 135 myself.

Yeah, I thought about the turbo/clutch lifespan but the gains outweigh the negatives....

Plus, the smile on your face when you boot it is worth every penny. ;-)

Well like you say depending on the car as they are all unique and react differently. I've read that the newer 1.6tdci ie mine they come in on the rollers with about 115 and mapped they get around 140ish. Couch and flywheel well I guess you play that ear. Drive like an idout and it will last a free hundred miles. Dive nice and should last much longer. So we shall see. Will be happening in about a month's time. That's the other thing having a smile on your face when you leave unsuspected cars behind. So what happened with your. What way was it bad?

Well I drive with economy in mind but like having the knowledge that I have the power under my foot if it is needed.

I had some work done on my exhaust system which came with a remap. Unfortunately, the map just wouldn't take at all. Poor starting, erratic fuel level figures, erratic economy and just generally not "feeling" right at all.

The guy made several attempts to correct the map but in the end, I decided to abandon it and told him to reinstall the original software so I can get it done elsewhere and got a refund on the map installation.

I'm taking it to the person I bought the car off soon.

He knows a well established and trusted mapper so I'm quite excited at having it done now after the chaos of last time.

Don't want silly power but enough to feel it if you get me...

The Superchips Bluefin remap :-

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/focus16tdci110bhp.pdf

It does not increase power and torque below 2k, and the power curve is about the same at 2k, rising/ increasing from the stock curve progressively till it reaches 21Hp more than stock at 4k,(so its not a "clutch/ DMF killer") though the torque is significantly increased at 3.3k (37Nm)

So its about the shape of the power/ torque curve, rather than the "on paper" figures, this map should be ok without having to upgrade the clutch/ DMF (eg 135Hp is not going to kill the clutch but 141 Won't, either, its more about the power/ torque delivery, and a massive increase of torque at low revs would put more strain on the clutch/ DMF )

The Bluefin claims 141Hp

The bluefin is often a bit more expensive than other remaps, but you have the advantage of being able to take the map off, and put the car back to standard, youself, quickly (say if you have another fault on the car, to lend it to the wife, or for snow, etc) + you get a code reader built-in to the handset, Superchips (the company that make Blufin) i have found to be very helpful, with their after-sales service and technical support, i had specific needs (unique car) you listened to my feedback and they mave a special map that works really well, they are a very well established company (est 1977, i believe)

I can't have bluefin. Been there and tried it. There module only goes upto 2010 and it was a case of trying it and seeing if the ecu would take it. Which it didn't as mine is 2011 one of the last ones before the new shape came out. Which is shy I have to go for a custom map. I went to the remappers today and they tested the ecu and they can bypass the security on the ecu to into the map which is good otherwiae they would have to remove it and bench map it which would of costed another 100.

As with torque and power well it shoudnt be a massive increase maybe about 40~65lbs max and power 25~30bhp but I'm doing this for more reliability on the road. More fuel economy. The guys did a Citroen with the same engine and the customer reported back saying how amazed that the duel had gone up by 10mpg doing motorway miliage and at the same time pulls like a freight train. I need better overtaking as I have a flat spot around 3k under full throttle so that needs sorting big time as it can be a right issue. But fuel at the moment I get 60 all day long. But it is colder and in summer I've nearly had 68mpg.

I can't have bluefin. Been there and tried it. There module only goes upto 2010 and it was a case of trying it and seeing if the ecu would take it. Which it didn't as mine is 2011 one of the last ones before the new shape came out. Which is shy I have to go for a custom map. I went to the remappers today and they tested the ecu and they can bypass the security on the ecu to into the map which is good otherwiae they would have to remove it and bench map it which would of costed another 100.

As with torque and power well it shoudnt be a massive increase maybe about 40~65lbs max and power 25~30bhp but I'm doing this for more reliability on the road. More fuel economy. The guys did a Citroen with the same engine and the customer reported back saying how amazed that the duel had gone up by 10mpg doing motorway miliage and at the same time pulls like a freight train. I need better overtaking as I have a flat spot around 3k under full throttle so that needs sorting big time as it can be a right issue. But fuel at the moment I get 60 all day long. But it is colder and in summer I've nearly had 68mpg.

I see - it says 2010 in your profile - the flatspot at 3k is a bit alarming because it should not be there - migt be a fault like the EGR valve or DPF causing that - let us know how you get on

Yeah it does say that but the car is registered end of Jan 2011 I'll change that as I forgot when it was lol. It's not as bad as it doesn't. Car doesn't have a single fault. Dpf runs but not as often as the egr is blanked. Car is getting mapped for defiantly but car needs servicing.