Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Brake Conversion Focus Titanium Mk2.5 1.6

karlos1987

Can anyone shed some light on a rear brake disc conversion.

I currently have drums on the rear.

Is it worth converting?

If so what parts would I need?

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

In my opinion upgrading the rear drum brakes to disc brakes is definetely worth it. On my car the breaking performance has increased noticably after upgrading to rear disc brakes. During braking at high speed the car is much more stable now. An additional advantage is the parking brake which is more powerful which is useful on steep hills.

To do the disc brake conversion you will need the following parts:

1x Left brake caliper complete.

1x Right brake caliper complete.

1x Brake pad kit.

2x Brake disc. For the 1.4 and 1.6 Duratec you will need 260 mm discs.

2x Brake caliper bracket.

2x Brake lines (hoses) for disc brakes.

1x Parking brake cable kit.

2x Guiding pin kit. This kits contains guiding pins and rubbers.

2x protection plate.

1 Liter of braking fluid.

Some bolts.

In some countries like the Netherlands, Belgium and the UK the 1.4 and 1.6 Hatchback versions of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 are equipped with rear drum brakes. In other countries like Germany all Focus MK2/MK2.5 versions are equipped with rear disc brakes as standard. This means the conversion can be done easily using Original parts.

The braking system of the Focus MK2/MK2.5 is developed and produced by ATE (a company owned by Continental). Most of the needed parts are available from ATE as aftermarket replacement parts. These parts are identical to the OEM Ford parts and much less expensive.

Most of the parts I used where brand new. I only used new Original (ATE) parts and Brembo Brake discs and pads. Because new rear brake calipers and brackets were very expensive I decided to buy 2 rear brake calipers including the brake caliper brackets from a German scrapyard. After I sandblasted and rebuilded the brake calipers completely they where as good as new for a fraction of the price. The complete conversion costed me approximately €300,-. It took me about 3/4 of a day to do the conversion.

I wrote an English guide about converting the rear drum brakes to disc brakes. My guide can be downloaded from the following link:

http://rapidshare.com/share/FC61CE4464F8D287ED555C19D14A5342

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

New to the forum. Have just picked up a 2010 1.6 TDCi but it has drum brakes at the rear so interedted in upgrading with this conversion. Im going to try and source the main components second hand, do you know if there is a difference between the Mk2 & Mk2.5 parts? I have seen a few complete rear axles for sale that look perfect but are from circa 2006 so unsure whether they will be the parts I need?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

I do believe they are the same. I'm sure it was just the cosmetics of the car they changed.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi guys,

New to the forum. Have just picked up a 2010 1.6 TDCi but it has drum brakes at the rear so interedted in upgrading with this conversion. Im going to try and source the main components second hand, do you know if there is a difference between the Mk2 & Mk2.5 parts? I have seen a few complete rear axles for sale that look perfect but are from circa 2006 so unsure whether they will be the parts I need?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Most rear disc brake parts of the Focus MK2 and MK2.5 are identical. Only the parking brake cables may be different between some modelyears. Usually this can be solved with minor modifications.

note that there are different brake disc sizes between the different engine types. Your car should have 278 mm brake discs at the front. Cars with 278 mm front brake discs should have drum brakes or 265 mm discs at the rear. If you want to buy a complete rear axle you have to find one with 265 mm discs.

• Like 1

Most rear disc brake parts of the Focus MK2 and MK2.5 are identical. Only the parking brake cables may be different between some modelyears. Usually this can be solved with minor modifications.

note that there are different brake disc sizes between the different engine types. Your car should have 278 mm brake discs at the front. Cars with 278 mm front brake discs should have drum brakes or 265 mm discs at the rear. If you want to buy a complete rear axle you have to find one with 265 mm discs.

Thanks! PM Sent.

Rob

• 5 months later...

interesting stuff, think im going to add this to the todo list as well

Cheers mate

quick question, having an issue sourcing the "protection plates" though, any suggestions?

think I have it all covered bar those plates for about 170, the brake cables seem to be a little steep so ill keep looking

Brake Hoses x2 £20

callipers x 2 second hand (plus the rest of it) £47

pads and discs 47

Parking brake 50

Fluid and bolts 10

• 1 month later...

Handbrake I presume.

You have this anyway ?? Infact all cars.

Yunii

For used bits apart from mk2.5 focus which other model bits are compatible or same?

I did a full st170 brake conversion on my old cherished mk1.5 2.0 zetec esp. This had discs allround. But the thing was i bought st170 discs/ calipers/hubs/knuckles/discs & pads in decent cond,(just had to buy splashguards at £12 each & all bolts costing a whopping £27) full front suspension legs with springs & rear st springs for just £150, only had bough just had to collect from warrinton ,an hour drive on m62

Now that was a bargain. When i sold all this i made £150 just for calipers hubs knuckles alone.

Yunii

You have this anyway ?? Infact all cars.

Yunii

Are they note different for drums and callipers? That is what I presumed anyway. Lol. Still haven't done this. Hopefully I'll get round to doing it next year.

The rear disc brakes are the same on the following Ford models:

* Focus MK2 (except ST/RS)

* Focus MK2.5 (except ST/RS)

* Focus CC

* C-max MK1

* C-max MK1.5

The same rear brakes are also applied on some versions of the Volvo S40, V50 and C30. These Volvo brake parts did even have the Ford logo on it so the parts are identical.

Note that the size of the rear brake discs depends on the engine type. Vehicles with 278 mm front disc brakes (1.4/1.6 Duratec,1.6 Duratec TI-VCT, 1.8 Duratec HE and 1.6 TDCI) do have 265 mm brake discs at the rear. Vehicles with 300 mm front disc brakes (2.0 Duratec HE, 1.8 TDCI and 2.0 TDCI) do have 280 mm brake discs at the rear.

The only difference between 265 mm and 280 mm disc brakes are the caliper brackets and the brake discs. All other parts are identical.

• Like 1

I believe they are different, there are certainly two parts listed in any case

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club