Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MPG on New Fiesta Diesel?

Jon_P

Hi, First post here as I'm thinking of getting a new Fiesta and decided to try and do a little homework.

I've done a few searches and saw that some people are getting anywhere upwards of 40mpg on the new fiesta diesels, but I was hoping that it would probably be more.

I'm considering going for a 1.6 Tdci (probably a Zetec) on an 09 plate, What could i realistically expect on day to day travel?

Part of my reasoning in swapping to a Fiesta would be getting mileage closer to the government figure of 67mpg would save around £500 a year on fuel (my Golf 2.0 tdi get 45mpg), save nearly £100 on tax, and then hopefully get cheaper servicing and lower insurance (I'm in group 13 at the moment)

I don't do a huge amount of miles, on average about 13,000 a year, most of which is made up of an 18 mile commute down country lanes with the odd blast down a dual carriageway.

On the test drive of the Fiesta I went out for maybe 15 minutes and got 40mpg. I wasn't blown away by that as I was expecting much nearer 60mpg, but with the car being idle on the forecourt for a few mins whilst the dealer sorted out trade plates, a quick move to the petrol station to pop a fiver in, a 3 minute drive down to the local mcdoanlds to swap over and then me taking the car down a dual carriageway, down some country lanes and then back into some traffic before heading to the dealership, i guess it was hardly surprising it didn't get better miles.

Any info on achievable MPG is appreciated as the dealer's view on fuel consumption is obviously a little biased towards flogging me a new motor!

cheers

couple of things u have to bear in mind! goverment figures are based on driving at 50-55mph constant speed!

second thing is a tdci engine takes a GOOD few thousand miles to bed in. you should see fuel econemy climb when pass 1k miles and continue to get better

Also the tdci engine isnt great when cold so if its alot of stop start driving it will be low.

we have one is a demo and it does on avg 46mpg but its only done 1000miles. if your on a country road i would expect it to get around low to mid 50's providing u dont kick the ar$e of it...

look up vw info on the golf and see what combined fuel econemy is and then see what u get? usually combined is nothing like what u will get!

im currently lookin for remap on the fiesta to try and see what differance it would make with 110bhp remap as they seem to boost fuel econemy

Hi,

I dont have the New Fiesta but I am considering significantly upgrading mine to the new one. It is worth investing a TDCi rather than a petrol. I have a 1.4 TDCi MK6 and I get really good milage out of it, I don't visit Fuel stations very often where as my friend with the same car in a petrol does. I think thats a good sign. But that's Diesels in general for you. You get more car for your money aswell, they have more life time apparently.

Suppose it depends on how you use it really. The only down side is that it sounds like a lawnmower :( Anybody who has any idea's on making Diesel cars sound more 'Non-Diesel' I will love them forever.

I apologise if I'v gave a bland post here ,I am new so need to get into the swing of things :lol:

the mk7 tdci is alot quieter when its warm! and if u get good consumption out of a 1.4 u should get great consumption out of a 1.6... only way to make it sould less like that is new exhaust and induction kit but :(

I have a focus 1.6tdci demonstrator at the min and it says i avg 45.2mpg.. yet i get 220 miles out of £20 of fuel... so its actually nearer 55-57mpg!! just the way the trip computer calculates it!

we done 420 miles in a 1.6 at 90mph ( i dont condone speeding but it was 3am!) and ended journey with quarter of a tank left and it had avg 51.1mpg....

My 1.6 is currently on 49.2 MPG from when it was delivered to me.

I havent reset it with a full tank yet though which i willdo next time to get a better idea of what im actually getting. It said near on 435 miles from a full tank on mine.

thats kind of what you would expect on avg... im geussing it hasnt done many miles yet?

still nice and new then! i think u will see a big improvement by time u get to 2k mark... will feel a little more responsive and a bit quiter!

also fuel econemy should climb a bit :)

Hi,

You get more car for your money aswell, they have more life time apparently.

Not sure I agree with you entirely on this point Helena.

Petrol and diesel engines' lifetimes depend entirely on how you drive.

The extra you pay for the diesel must be offset against the mileage you do as diesel is now at least €0.10 per litre more expensive than petrol.

It also depends on how much fun you want too--the 1.6 Ti-VCT petrol engine is far more suited to the Fiesta's character and it's not as thirsty as people think.

I currently average 40-42 mpg and that's just running to work and back (a total of 24 miles per day)............and that's more than some of your diesel fanatics are getting.

So, guys, don't just dismiss the petrol as unecomonical as it's just a myth...............

It's all down to the driver and style of driving ;) :)

What diesel Car magazine have a 1.6 diesel on their long term fleet and they have been geting 53mpg. Thats a lot better than the 40-45 mpg I have been getting on my 1.4 petrol

Not sure I agree with you entirely on this point Helena.

Petrol and diesel engines' lifetimes depend entirely on how you drive.

The extra you pay for the diesel must be offset against the mileage you do as diesel is now at least €0.10 per litre more expensive than petrol.

It also depends on how much fun you want too--the 1.6 Ti-VCT petrol engine is far more suited to the Fiesta's character and it's not as thirsty as people think.

I currently average 40-42 mpg and that's just running to work and back (a total of 24 miles per day)............and that's more than some of your diesel fanatics are getting.

So, guys, don't just dismiss the petrol as unecomonical as it's just a myth...............

It's all down to the driver and style of driving ;) :)

Diesel is double though isn't it?

What you get from a petrol you get double from a Diesel? If the car is looked after and used properly then you will get good car life I suppose.

Considering petrol is currently 93p a litre against 98p a litre Dizzy I think it's worth it.

And the other little advantages like 20 quid a year tax :D Smug written all over it !

What you get from a petrol you get double from a Diesel

I dont think thats true :blink:

We have just gone over 1000 miles in our 1.6TDci 09 model.

Our normal commute is a few miles of town driving, then main A road, then country lane, then main A road and finally town driving for about a mile - Total is approx 19 miles each way.

We currently average 51 mpg according to the trip computer, but when I fill the car to the brim and work out how many miles between fill ups we avergae 54-55 mpg.

A diesel will take approx 6k - 8k to run in, a lot more than a petrol engine.

So expect to see a gradula improvement as you put the miles on.

Our C4 Picasso ( 2.0 hdi 138bhp) govt combined figure is 46.3mpg - on our daily commute we get 47mpg according to trip computer and 53mpg on a decent run.

On all of our previous cars we always just about match and sometimes better the Combined figure. We have had 4 other diesels and they have all been the same.

Hi, First post here as I'm thinking of getting a new Fiesta and decided to try and do a little homework.

I've done a few searches and saw that some people are getting anywhere upwards of 40mpg on the new fiesta diesels, but I was hoping that it would probably be more.

I'm considering going for a 1.6 Tdci (probably a Zetec) on an 09 plate, What could i realistically expect on day to day travel?

Part of my reasoning in swapping to a Fiesta would be getting mileage closer to the government figure of 67mpg would save around £500 a year on fuel (my Golf 2.0 tdi get 45mpg), save nearly £100 on tax, and then hopefully get cheaper servicing and lower insurance (I'm in group 13 at the moment)

I don't do a huge amount of miles, on average about 13,000 a year, most of which is made up of an 18 mile commute down country lanes with the odd blast down a dual carriageway.

On the test drive of the Fiesta I went out for maybe 15 minutes and got 40mpg. I wasn't blown away by that as I was expecting much nearer 60mpg, but with the car being idle on the forecourt for a few mins whilst the dealer sorted out trade plates, a quick move to the petrol station to pop a fiver in, a 3 minute drive down to the local mcdoanlds to swap over and then me taking the car down a dual carriageway, down some country lanes and then back into some traffic before heading to the dealership, i guess it was hardly surprising it didn't get better miles.

Any info on achievable MPG is appreciated as the dealer's view on fuel consumption is obviously a little biased towards flogging me a new motor!

cheers

Hi there. I've got the 1.6TDCi and have done almost 4000 miles. I'm currently getting around 55-57mpg. One bit of advice - don't trust the trip computer. That says I'm averaging about 48mpg. My journeys are generally longer ones, rather than just around town, but does include country roads, A roads and motorways. I generally drive smoothly to maximise the mpg and keep the tyre pressures correct (that alone can make quite a bit of difference!).

Economy is entirely down to how you drive.

I have a 1.6 diesel and i do a lot of miles so my car is now very run in.

I have no trouble getting high 60's and recently i've been getting it into the 70's. best over a long distance trip recently was 75mpg. please bear in mind that my daily commute includes going past Clackett lane on the M25 at rush hour - those of you who have done know what i mean. i normally get 550 miles to a tank when the fuel light comes on.

these figures are all based on the onboard computer so in reality they may be higher.

Diesels dont do twice the economy of a petrol but they have the capacity to be very economical if driven correctly.

Thanks for all the feedback, i'm swaying back towards buying again after being initially quite dissapointed with the figures from the trip computer after the test drive. I was edging towards just staying put with the Golf and living with the fuel economy

Looks like the main problem will be my local dealer managing to get hold of a 1.6tdci Zetec in the colour I want at a price I can afford!

The 1.6's seem pretty thin on the ground from Ford Direct, seems like the Fiesta is proving to be quite popular at the moment

What you get from a petrol you get double from a Diesel?

Who's told you that?

That would mean that based on my average of 42 mpg from the petrol variant, you think that you will get 84 mpg from the diesel?

I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that's the case. :lol:

However, you're quite right about the road tax being cheaper though.......

Who's told you that?

That would mean that based on my average of 42 mpg from the petrol variant, you think that you will get 84 mpg from the diesel?

I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that's the case. :lol:

However, you're quite right about the road tax being cheaper though.......

How do you know I havn't got a trick up my sleeve getting me 80 odd Mpg ;) .. Haha only kidding.

Your right. stupid question. I quoted that from a petrol VW Golf driver haha. Random but I'm all for non biased opinions, though he did have a 1.9 TDCI Vectra before that and said he regrets selling it for that very reason. Odd but anyways..

In a strange way I'v got to agree with him maybe not as a stone cold fact but on a personal measure.

Theres things that have made it worth owning a Deisel. I get Cheaper tax, cheaper insurance, cheaper labour on it through a contact, Fantastic fuel consumption, and hopefully when it comes to selling up it should be fine. So based on that Diesels are considerabley more economical in my world. I know I'v saved myself alot of money in the long run.

I can't have a petrol, because I know I'd be a REAL petrol head. That would cause holes in my pockets which I don't need.

Both cars have their advantages and let downs at the end of the day. It's all down to personal choice hence it being a slightly delicate subject.

If it's Performance your after get a Petrol

If cost cutting and milage over a longer term is the priority get a Diesel

If your not fussed and want something that just drives swerve Ford and get a granny scooter -_-

Everyone is happy !

Theres things that have made it worth owning a Deisel. I get Cheaper tax, cheaper insurance, cheaper labour on it through a contact, Fantastic fuel consumption, and hopefully when it comes to selling up it should be fine. So based on that Diesels are considerabley more economical in my world. I know I'v saved myself alot of money in the long run.

I can't have a petrol, because I know I'd be a REAL petrol head. That would cause holes in my pockets which I don't need.

If your not fussed and want something that just drives swerve Ford and get a granny scooter -_-

Everyone is happy !

Quite right, it's all down to personal taste. :)

Is yours a company car by any chance? If so, then no contest!

If I had a company car I would definitely choose diesel for the very same reasons as you have.

Unfortunately it's not, so I figured I might as well have a balance of performance and economy.......well, at least until the economic climate improves...........then I'll have something wth a bit more oomph........quite like the new RS Focus!!! :lol:

Suppose I'd better walk down to Morrisons and get my Euro lottery numbers just in case! B)

Quite right, it's all down to personal taste. :)

Is yours a company car by any chance? If so, then no contest!

If I had a company car I would definitely choose diesel for the very same reasons as you have.

Unfortunately it's not, so I figured I might as well have a balance of performance and economy.......well, at least until the economic climate improves...........then I'll have something wth a bit more oomph........quite like the new RS Focus!!! :lol:

Suppose I'd better walk down to Morrisons and get my Euro lottery numbers just in case! B)

Mines not a company one but I just travel alot in it so the usage is similar.

Maybe in a few years I'll get that VW beetle :wub: Bad I know but I really want one sorry Ford :ph34r:

Mines not a company one but I just travel alot in it so the usage is similar.

Maybe in a few years I'll get that VW beetle :wub: Bad I know but I really want one sorry Ford :ph34r:

If I win the Euro lottery and it's a big big big if, I'll be off to Sytner or Stratstone to order my brand new BMW Mini Cooper S Works with all the toys.......... B)

Oops, sorry Ford!!! :lol::lol:

If I win the Euro lottery and it's a big big big if, I'll be off to Sytner or Stratstone to order my brand new BMW Mini Cooper S Works with all the toys.......... B)

Oops, sorry Ford!!! :lol::lol:

Come on you can do better than that :) Have the mini but get a Lambo as well.

Brand spanker Overfinch Range Rover in White with all the gadgets for me when I win the big bucks !

Brand spanker Overfinch Range Rover in White with all the gadgets for me when I win the big bucks !

Not this week Helena........it's mine!!! :lol:

Come on you can do better than that :) Have the mini but get a Lambo as well.

OK maybe I'm a little cautious......I'll have the mini and a brand new BMW M3 convertible with all the toys. B) :D

Never fancied a Lambo or Ferrari really--you could never leave them anywhere without somebody vandalising them and even though theoretically money would not be an issue, I'd get fed up with having them repaired etc.

Good job I'll never have the problems of being rich eh! :lol: ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club