Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Embarrassing. Focus Rolled Into A Transit

btmaldon

How embarrassing to hear your registration number called out in B&Q's saying its rolled into another vehicle.

Got to the car to find it in the back of a Transit with the handbrake still on. All I can think was as the brakes had cooled down while we were in the store they contracted enough to allow the car to roll.

My front bumper was pushed in where it hit the tow bar on the van but I was able to pop it back out by hand. No noticeable damage to my Focus but one of the rear doors on the van was pushed in.

Who would of thought a Transit would come off worse?

:wacko:

This is why I also leave the car in gear when it's parked - normally 1st. If the car's pointing downhill even slightly, I leave it in reverse.

Also when I park on hills, I turn the wheel into the kerb. That way you've got the handbrake, gearbox and kerb stopping your car from going anywhere.

This is why I also leave the car in gear when it's parked - normally 1st. If the car's pointing downhill even slightly, I leave it in reverse.

Also when I park on hills, I turn the wheel into the kerb. That way you've got the handbrake, gearbox and kerb stopping your car from going anywhere.

Me too - a lot of experienced drivers do the same - the council have placed a handy speed bump where i park so its an extra thing - at home if the car is laid up for any length of time (eg - undergoing modifications) i leave the handbrake down so it does not sieze up/ to stop the handbrake cable being stretched - other things i do is reverse into a space/ drive so i can drive straight out safely

If a Transit and Focus were to "mate" would they make baby KAs :lol:

Years ago, a (big estate) Volvo and a (classic) Mini were in an accident - one driver was a cook and the other a DJ, ironically both going to the same venue, the Volvo was completely written off/ totalled, (i think it ended up on its roof) the Mini was ok/ repairable (both drivers walked away ok/ no-one else involved).

Its amazing who can come worse off in an accident - don't think you are safe (or safer) because you are in a big car, 4x4 etc

• Like 1

i too always leave my cars in gear.

i even do it to the works vans i use,got a telling off from 1 co worker when he got in and started the van and it shot forward :rolleyes: so a big argument ensued as i told him he should check everything before starting. :lol:

on a side note,1 of my bro n laws,used to do a lot of banger racing.we used to go and watch.one day he came out of the pits saying hes thinking of not going out in the next race because someone had turned up in a 'lada'.

whod have thought that eh?amazing watching it slice through other cars like a knife through butter. :o

Definitely leave in gear on hills, just remember that when you start the car ;)

I leave in gear on a more significant inclines. Hardly an incline in the car park, however will always leave in gear from now on. I had reversed it in to the parking space.

I've never had a claim in 33 years of driving so this is a first for me if it ends up going through the insurance.

Oh well I should be grateful. There was a tragic accident in Chelmsford yesterday and we had just passed the very spot where it happened a couple of minutes earlier. A 20 year old died, his girl friend is in a critical condition and fortunately their 9 month old baby wasn't injured. They lived local to us as well. Whole towns in shock.

how far did your car roll? must have gathered some speed to do that sort of damage

People still do this? I always leave my car in gear when parked, 1st or reverse will offer the best anti-rolling resistance. I also always start a car with the clutch depressed (negating the need to check if it's in gear) as it slightly reduces the starting load.

Does the manual or highway code not explain how to park safely on a hill? I thought these were 'common sense' though I'm finding common sense is increasingly uncommon. ;)

• Like 1

People still do this? I always leave my car in gear when parked, 1st or reverse will offer the best anti-rolling resistance. I also always start a car with the clutch depressed (negating the need to check if it's in gear) as it slightly reduces the starting load.

Does the manual or highway code not explain how to park safely on a hill? I thought these were 'common sense' though I'm finding common sense is increasingly uncommon. ;)

I always press my clutch in. I had a new shape Astra for ages and you had to press the clutch down to start the car, even in neutral. It's now just become a force of habit.

In regards to reversing into spaces. The company I work for insist that you reverse park at all times. If you dont and get caught you can face disciplinary action if you persist. That too has become habit

I always press my clutch in. I had a new shape Astra for ages and you had to press the clutch down to start the car, even in neutral. It's now just become a force of habit.

In regards to reversing into spaces. The company I work for insist that you reverse park at all times. If you dont and get caught you can face disciplinary action if you persist. That too has become habit

I always depress the clutch when starting a car, it's good practice for safety and reduces possible clutch drag retarding starting the vehicle.

In the RAF we used to get fined a slab of beer by our Warrant Officer for what he called 'Nosey Parking' (I.e. nose inwards).

So it doesn't damage the gear box leaving it in gear then? Never really thought of doing it tbh but may have to after hearing these experiences lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app