Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Way To Accelerate With A The Ecoboost 1.0 125Ps?

NQbbe

I've got an Ecoboost 125ps for around a year by now, and I'm still struggling to drive it "properly".

I come from a Honda Civic 1,8 Sport 2009 - in that car I'd overtake by tossing it into 3rd gear and flooring it, somewhere around 6k rpm I'd shift up and floor it again - worked like a charm (I prefer to overtake as fast as possible to get into the proper lane again, and despite this sounding like I drive excessively fast, I actually don't - I normally stay within the speed limits give or take 10%)

If I do the same in the Fiesta - 3rd gear, floor it. It's pretty fast (after half a second turbo lag), but the second I shift into 4th it loses a lot of power.

Normally I'll upshift around 5.5k rpm in the Fiesta, and this means it ends up below 4k rpm in 4th gear. This in turn causes it to be quite slow until it reaches 4k rpm when it suddenly starts pulling again (could it perhaps be overboost cooling down or being disabled briefly?)

So what I'm wondering is: How do you guys make the most out of this engine?

And again: I don't drive like a maniac, despite this thread sounding like it :D

• Like 1

Interesting thread, as my dealer said to me last week when I ordered my car that it's a different beast to drive & will take abit of getting used too, so I'm interested in reading what people say

On the 125ps version there is a 30second over boost, whereas on the 100ps it is disabled. I find if I decide to accelerate quickly I change gears around 5.5k to 6k - despite the rev range going to 6.5k. When I change gears i give the car a little of revs when my clutch is down whilst changing and I find that helps with the lag. After the 30second over boost the turbo clearly has to cool down, remember it is only a small turbo after all!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I'm guessing due to the long gearing it makes sense not to change up too early as it will struggle in higher gears

Jordanch > Good idea about using the throttle whilst the clutch is down to keep the turbo spinning - will definately try that next time.

And yea it does take some getting used too when coming from a large non-turbo engine :-D

Jordanch > Good idea about using the throttle whilst the clutch is down to keep the turbo spinning - will definately try that next time.

And yea it does take some getting used too when coming from a large non-turbo engine :-D

Did your Honda have v-tec, like a type R? what large-non turbo engined car did you have?

Did your Honda have v-tec, like a type R? what large-non turbo engined car did you have?

Sorry about that, it should had said "larger" (the 1,8). And whilst the 1,8 has v-tec it works differently from the type R and isn't nearly as noticable. (Basically it has an economy mode and a normal mode it shifts between, whereas the type R has normal and performance mode)

2nd and 3rd are it's best gears 3000rpm is were it pulls from so just figure how to get it on boost so you get the full power all the time. I have got the turbo running more psi it's now 1.3 not 1.0 and makes it pull smoother, quicker and sounds much nicer. You can hear the turbo spooling up and when release of the throttle about 2500rpm the noise is amazing

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Ford OC mobile app

How do u increase the psi ?

How do u increase the psi ?

+1

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

I assume merriod had his car remapped, they usually increase the turbo pressure as part of the remap. (AFAIK it's the main way to obtain more power)

I've been considering doing the same, but my insurance company hasn't responded yet as to whether they'll insure it if I remap it.

No remap. I'm also looking into it i fiddled with something near the turbo yesterday and used a bluetooth car fault checker to see the psi it went from 1.0 to 1.3 ill take pictures when I'm free

Merriod1 > Interesting, looking forward to seeing the pictures. I've actually considered buying a bluetooth device myself, this definately makes me more eager to do so :-)

I think I'll find it odd when I get my ZS being at 50-60mph and still in 2nd gear without being on the redline & will take some getting used too I think

If your going 0-40 change into second you'll get 60 befor you hit redline then shift up :) I street race all the time that's just my technique :)

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

2nd 65mph 3rd 95mph 4th 120mph. Just push your car. It will stay tight round every corner. I rate this car more than the st

• Like 1

Merriod - I take it that's your ZS in the profile pix

Can you post up some pixs ?

Top picture is currently: coilovers and few engine bits nothing major.

Bottom: mk7 lowering springs.

post-50740-139391734094_thumb.jpg

post-50740-139391736357_thumb.jpg

2nd 65mph 3rd 95mph 4th 120mph. Just push your car. It will stay tight round every corner. I rate this car more than the st

Im guessing you have driven a new fiesta st judging from that last comment?? my st would leave a ZS standing gaurentee!.

Think we should have a fiesta meet :) get as many as possible to come :)

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yes lets have a meet then i can show you all the how much better and faster the fiST is

Yes lets have a meet then i can show you all the how much better and faster the fiST is

People know the difference of the power from the ST, to the Zetec S to other trim levels, so you wouldn't really be showing anyone anything new?

• Like 3

Well, looking at the power/ torque graphs (its from Bluefin but shows stock as well) -

Peak power is at about 6k, so best to change up at 6k, changing up at 5.5 would be wasting potential, and revveng it over about 6 would be a waste of time on a stock car or one with a Blufin remap, according to the graph -

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/curves/EcoBoost125PS.060214.pdf

Depending on the speed, or what gear you are in you may be wasting time by changing down into too low a gear ie - if you change down to overtake and the car is revving at 5k in 2nd, so you just have 1k to go untill you change into 3rd, if you know what i mean you may have been better changing down into 3rd - peak torque ius about 3k - so just keep it between 3k and 6k and it should go pretty well

Looking at the graphs the Blufinned ecoboost has a fair bit more torque at 2k than stock, so should pull better from 2k, compared to the stock one that looks like it needs 3k to pull strongly

Top picture is currently: coilovers and few engine bits nothing major.

Bottom: mk7 lowering springs.

Is that Nautical Blue ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club