Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map Sensor Change Focus

HCMann

Hello all,

New to Ford owners club forum.

Serviced my 2003 1600 Focus this week and decided to investigate an intermittent idling issue also. The engine does not produce a steady idle, it purges between 1000 - 1250 rpm. Its also always i seemed to run a bit rich ever since I had it. When I took it for its last mot the mechanic said this was most likely a faulty maf sensor.

After buying a new Maf sensor I found out that (I should have checked this before) , my facelift model has a Map sensor instead.

Has anyone ever changed one of these and is it a likely cause of the problem? It looks like to change it Im going to need to take the intake manifold and possibly the alternator off to get at it. A much bigger job than changing the Maf on an earlier model.

The car has also had new plugs , leads and a new coil pack.

Cheers .

Often, sensors are changed , because the data the sensor is reading appears out of range, sometimes, the data really is out of range - and the sensor was working perfectly

if its a Bosch T-MAP sensor it is usually fairly reliable - there are many reasons that are not the MAP sensor tat would cause purging, oops i mean surging, and a rich mixture

Check the crankcase breather hoses for leaks , the PCV valve for bieng gunged up, the idle control valve (if fitted) you did not mention replacing the air filter (a dirty air filter can cause a rich mixture)

But most of all - invest in an OBD code reader/ have the codes read - this could save you a fortune buying things you don't need