Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shaking Steering Wheel

talksy

Recently my steering wheel has really started shaking at 60mph plus.

I know it could be tracking, and if it is I am not having it done. There are so many pot holes where I live and the council are doing nothing about it. I have spent a fortune on my car and I am not paying out for things which should never have happened.

I would like to ensure my tyres are at the right pressure as they have looked quite low recently, even when I have put a little extra air into them.

How can I check what the pressure should be on my wheels? I have a 59 plate Focus TDCI 1.8 Focus Zetec. Does it say on the tyre wall? I thought this would be a good starting point. My only other idea is that one of the balance things may have fallen off of the rim because of the appalling state of the roads.

Mine are on a sticker where the drivers door closes take a look there could also be the wheel balance with regards to shaking steering wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Mine are on a sticker where the drivers door closes take a look there could also be the wheel balance with regards to shaking steering wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Thanks, will take a look. I have a feeling it could be tracking, but four wheel alignment is a fortune in my area and don't see why I should have to keep paying out for unnecessary work. It would be a case of either wheel alignment and a tyre will go bald, not enough money for both, just been made redundant. Sounds like I am being a tw*t but on a daily basis I am going over 3-5 considerable pot holes - too many to keep reporting, can't avoid them, nearly had serious accidents. Essex Council and are a joke imo, until someone is killed, they are going to continue to be incompetent.

As the previous reply I'm sure that problem is no more than a wheel balance but as you say the appalling roads we have you could have a damaged tyre, check the inner side of the tyre as well

it may be the potholes have buckled the alloy in which case you should have it checked then claim it off the council for replacement alloys and send pics of the offending potholes too

Hi Talksy and all

Interested in this thread as my steering is shaking since I bought the car 5 weeks ago had the wheels balanced and laser tracked......easy fix?..... no joy...... back to the garage balanced again....... no joy.......replaced both rear bushes on the front wishbones........found out they were rotten so replaced them...... result?.......no joy....still shakes @ 70 -80 mph and when I brake there is a judder......my thoughts now are that maybe its a warped brake disk maybe because of a caliper sticking?.............will investigate this and get back to you

regards

johnniec63

Hi Talksy and all

Interested in this thread as my steering is shaking since I bought the car 5 weeks ago had the wheels balanced and laser tracked......easy fix?..... no joy...... back to the garage balanced again....... no joy.......replaced both rear bushes on the front wishbones........found out they were rotten so replaced them...... result?.......no joy....still shakes @ 70 -80 mph and when I brake there is a judder......my thoughts now are that maybe its a warped brake disk maybe because of a caliper sticking?.............will investigate this and get back to you

regards

johnniec63

Hi there.

Ok well here is an update from me,

Went to Tesco to pump my tires to the right pressure thanks to the post by @zeglover.

Can't remember what my wheel details were but I have the 17inch alloy and it said 33psi apparently.

Wizzed round all four and found that AGAIN both front ones were under inflated. Two weeks ago, I had pumped them both up to 31 (didn't know the right pressure and thought 31 was a safe number).

Nearside front was on 17 (last time was on 16) and offside front was on 24. Have put them all to 33 and had no juddering at all on the way home tonight, although didn't really do any speed. I will report back once I have done 60-70. I am very worried that they are loosing air at such a rate, couldn't see anything such as a slow puncture.

33 psi, (2.3 bar) is the one for your 17" alloys and 1.8 tdci

They may need a new rim seal this will cause them to lose pressure

Hi Talksy and all

regards

johnniec63

thats definately probably a warped disk if you get judder on braking

definitely probably??

definately :) well i had the same issue when i bought the car, happened on hard braking. new disks/pads solved the issue

ha ha ....

yeah im just a bit worried that if I buy new disks and pads and keep the old calipers

they (the calipers ) if are the cause might have the same effect on the new disks and warp them too!!!

cherching!! ......MORE MONEY!!

regards

:0)ohnniec63

im not a mechanic but ive never heard of calipers making brake judder.. when or if you replace the disks make sure you use the right paste to lubricate the slide pins and that everything is nice and tight, and that the pads have anti seize on the ends that meet with the calipers

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I should post an update to the op.

It transpires that the cause for me was a severely damaged wall on the nsf tyre. A tyre which was well under 1 year old. This was caused by the numerous pot holes in my area, and as such I have now initiated proceedings to recover my costs from the local council. Not only was the tyre damaged but the alloy buckled. Does anyone know how much it would cost to repair the alloy?

Since a replacement tyre has been put on, the shaking and wobbling has gone.

:)

its areplacement job for the alloy if its buckled

Hi all

new disks and pads on the front ...cured the juddering on braking still got steering wheel judder @ high speed after £400 spent im really peed off that it still has this problem the guys that did the tracking and balancing even put new tyres on the front to try to rectifiy the problem took it back to my mechanic who has checked drive shafts ball joints bushes everything...cant find a problem? ......waiting to borrow a mates wheels off his car and put them on mine for a test run to see if its the front rims I wouldn't usually be this picky but I am "fighting" the car to keep in straight at high speed if it is the rims its a good time to lower the suspension by 40mm and get a set of new 17"s on the "black pig"........its a process of elimination the cheapest way possible

will be in touch

regards

Johnniec63

Hi all

new disks and pads on the front ...cured the juddering on braking still got steering wheel judder @ high speed after £400 spent im really peed off that it still has this problem the guys that did the tracking and balancing even put new tyres on the front to try to rectifiy the problem took it back to my mechanic who has checked drive shafts ball joints bushes everything...cant find a problem? ......waiting to borrow a mates wheels off his car and put them on mine for a test run to see if its the front rims I wouldn't usually be this picky but I am "fighting" the car to keep in straight at high speed if it is the rims its a good time to lower the suspension by 40mm and get a set of new 17"s on the "black pig"........its a process of elimination the cheapest way possible

will be in touch

regards

Johnniec63

rather than wait for your mate and borrow his wheels, just swap your fronts with your rears and see if it goes.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club