Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket Focus Drl Lights

Brijohng56

Hi all, I own a focus convertible 58 plate, & have brought a pair of DRL lights which are fitted to the plastic cowling of a pair of fog light, can anybody help me in wiring the lights up to an ignition feed under the bonnet, also dies anybody know hw I can check that the lights work before I fit the kit to my car, hope some one can help, Brian

Do they have a control box? a picture of your kit would help too and where they were bought from (i.e. eBay listing). I have fitted DRL's to my focus.

Pree's excellent guide is a good start, I used this in conjunction with the instructions that came with the DRL's but most improvised myself, if you look in my thread (see sig) there are some photos of how things are wired in.

Link to guide:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/28999-guide-for-fitting-daytime-running-lights-focus-mk25/

easiest answer - get a piggy back fuse adapter, plug it into the auxxhillary fusebox with the engine sensors, and run the negative to the battery connector :) job done!

Does the kit not come with feeds to tap into your headlight wiring?

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

You tend to just have a positive and negative set of wires, then you would have to do it from there!

It depends on how expensive the DRL's are.

Hi all, thanks for your comments, did get the lights fitted, & all the wires routed, control box fitted behind the NSR headlight with 3m double sided pads, & inline fuse fitted the same way on the black plastic panel above the headlight, I did find a ignition feed in the engine fuse box, but when I connected all the wires up the & turn the ignition on the DRLs didn't light up, checked all the connection, but still no luck. Does any body know how I can check the lights to see if there are working with out the control box, as I think the box might be at fault, is this box just like a relay, does anybody know ??. If the lights/ control box doesn't work I have to return the lights back to the seller in Taiwan at a cost to me to send them back, sorry this is so long.

So what/how many wires did you tap into. It is usually negative to battery positive to ignition switched live fuse 34 works fine for this. Then I think it was the blue wire to the sidelights. So they dim to 50% when the lights are switched on..

The way to tell its they come on full brightness with ignition and then visibly dim to 50% when the sidelights are on.

You can also connect the white wire to the dipped lights so they go off when they are switched on - no one seems to use that though - I didn't.

If they are turning on full but not dimming and you have connected the relevant wire, then it either hasn't tapped the wire correctly or you have tapped the wrong wire

Oh and my instructions said specifically not to connect the DRLs without the control box as it will damage them

To test just connect the black wire to the negative on our battery and the red wire to the positive with the control box connected up. If they don't work like that then something is broken in the setup. You could use a multimeter on the connection that comes out of the control box DRL side see if there is any current.

Check all connections even the factory pre wired connections. As said try on the battery, without routing all cables. Make sure the right box is connected to the right cables and tripple checked you've tapped into the correct, side light cable going to the head light

Thanks guys, will give it a try over the weekend, just one thing still seems to bug me, On new cars built from early 2012, they are supposed to be fitted with DRLs yes ?, & they come on when the ignition is on & engine running, But aren't they supposed to go off when the cars normal lights are In use, So where is it said that the DRLs can be used when the normal lights are on, but running dimmer, when I checked the legal stuff about using DRLs, it stated that the lights must go out when the normal lights where in use, does anybody know about any changes in the law for the use of DRLs. Would be happy to hear from you, Brian

If you look at a lot of new cars the DRLs stay on with the lights, but just dim they are just an extension to the sidelights, well that's what I've noticed anyway. These kits allow you to turn of the DRLs with the lights if that's what you want... The option is there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

It's optional for drl to stay on in dim mode while headlights are on or they can be off like on honda cars.

There is a rule though that if drls are within a certain distance of the headlight they must dim when indicator is switched on. Focus drls are outside of that distant.

They must be dimmed when side lights are turned on and can be used as side lights instead

Hi guys, still having problems trying to connect my DRL, brought a couple of piggyback fuse holders so as to connect the power supply in the engine fuse box, brought normal fuse holders, but forgot to check that the fuses in the box where mini's instead, so ordered mini now, the other thing is I was going to connect the power feed as per higgsy photos, but according to the photos it show that you pull out one of the 10amp mini fuses that cover the engine management system, can anybody tell me if this is ok, would there be any problems if I pull one of these fuses, hope to hear from you, Brian.

it will be fine as you are just adding another circuit with its own fuse, I have actually moved mine over now onto a spare fuse point that is for automatic transmission, I dont have an automatic but the contacts were still there, just no fuse, so I have put it in there now. Its fuse 32. If you put a piggy back fuse in slot 32 you need to modify the lid of the fuse box a little by breaking a bit of plastic off.

Hi, thanks for info, is there power to the automatic fuse, if so did you just put a mini fuses in, & how did you pick up the other side of the fuse to take power to the lamps ??. Did you have to remove the fuse panel or did you still use a piggy back fuse holder, I never had a car thus new so I am just a little worried about mucking something up if you see what I mean. Give me an old car without all the electronics, I can work on them, brian

Just move the piggy back fuse over to that slot. That is all you need to do. There was power to that on mine I guess the wiring loom is the same regardless of whether its an auto or a manual

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

Thanks will give it a try when I get the mini piggyback fuse holder,

Just move the piggy back fuse over to that slot. That is all you need to do. There was power to that on mine I guess the wiring loom is the same regardless of whether its an auto or a manual

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

I used the same fuse for mine aswell. All was working well until I decided to move them onto the fog surrounds....now one doesn't work.......it is isn't broke, don't fix it.

Just out of interest what DRL's do people actually have, seem as thought I have to buy some new ones now

Hi, just a completely different fought, do you know if it is possible to retro fit folding mirror on my focus cc3 convertible, I have seen other fords with this done, mine are heated with control inside, but I'm sure you know this, Thanks Brian.

the auto would be powered I believe so yes, you should be ok to use it.

I wired up so that i can switch off from inside when i want topost-39671-139457441396_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

post-39671-139457443723_thumb.jpg

post-39671-139457449568_thumb.jpg

post-39671-139457454076_thumb.jpg

Hi, just a completely different fought, do you know if it is possible to retro fit folding mirror on my focus cc3 convertible, I have seen other fords with this done, mine are heated with control inside, but I'm sure you know this, Thanks Brian.

Yes mate its possible as i've had mine done, & now to remotely powerfoldin unfolding when locking /unlocking.

Yunii

Hi Yunii, thanks for your reply, did you buy new mirrors, if so may I ask where you purchased them from, was it a big job to fit them & wire up, would be interested in any info you might be able to supply, I have found a set of mirrors on eBay from seller. kba-carlightings-mirrors & after a very long web search today I've found that I can get hold of a powered mirror switch from Fords, Brian

Hi Yunii, thanks for your reply, did you buy new mirrors, if so may I ask where you purchased them from, was it a big job to fit them & wire up, would be interested in any info you might be able to supply, I have found a set of mirrors on eBay from seller. kba-carlightings-mirrors & after a very long web search today I've found that I can get hold of a powered mirror switch from Fords, Brian

Hi mate , i saw these on eBay , so i asked tezza if they were compatible with my car & he said they were by matching part numbers. The mirrors were a non returnable order at at a ford dealer abay shop, paid £65 each plus postage. Then had to transfer the cover & indicater lenses,i also had to buy puddle lights lemse & holder, i also needed the folding switch,i got the two in one ( mirror fold & imterior scanner delete) but i suggest you buy the mk3 style switch which is the toggle , as this will be easier to do. With this you will only need to add one wire in your door mirror from module to mirror in drivers door.adjustment of mirror & fold feature then bought Elm327 modded version & trip to tezza in Chesterfield who fitted it .as he needed the Elm for unlocking features on his stunning ST225.

It wasnt a big job

Yunii

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club