Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Options On This Little Mod

biggy119

ok guys iv just got a rs exhaust but been cut off just after the box .

by the way this is going onto a 1.8 tdci st replica .

so my thoughts are do I straight pipe it from the box or leave the box on and cut it after the box and then weld it on .

what do you guys think ??

ok guys iv just got a rs exhaust (FOCA- do you mean a Focus RS mk2?) but been cut off just after the box(FOCA - which box?) .

by the way this is going onto a 1.8 tdci st replica .

so my thoughts are do I straight pipe it from the box or leave the box on and cut it after the box and then weld it on .(If you mean the back box its unlikely there is enough space, )

what do you guys think ??

The exhaust may take some serious hacking to make it fit - if you can get the car jacked up on ramps etc, you might be able to suss uut what needs doing (if its possible at all)

You cannot cut the spare wheel well because it is part of the chassis and that would be an MOT failure

O right iv put it up under the car seems to sit nice .

But do I take the box off or keep it on

O right iv put it up under the car seems to sit nice .

But do I take the box off or keep it on

Depends how loud you can put up with it, and if there is another silencer/ box in the system, and if you still have your DPF/ cat (which cuts the noise down a bit)

If you can get it to fit, probably a safer bet to keep a back-box on to keep the noise at acceptable levels - it was on an RS, so is unlikely to restrict flow much

PS - a loud exhaust on a diesel car sounds like a big truck, or a tractor when you start or rev it, some make a "weeeeee" sound when you lift off the throttle - its still not a good sound, though, IMO

lmao well I have heard this before and ill leave the box on then :)

It would also fail an mot with the box off the car must not emit a noise that is overly loud compared to a standard model of the same car

the tdci will not be loud without the rear box - i know this cos.....yes i have a tdci!

if it fits and is easy enough to do then go for it.

• Like 1

Salsheikh do you have a recording or even a video of yours I really do wanna take it off but if it sounds stupid I don't

the tdci will not be loud without the rear box - i know this cos.....yes i have a tdci!

if it fits and is easy enough to do then go for it.

Do you have a decat/ DPF delete and are there any other mufflers in the system? Even the state of tune (remap etc) can make a difference to the noise level - the OP could take the back box off and it could be loud enough to fail an MOT or to get pulled

The noise can get annoying/ tiring, especially on a long journey, the sound it makes can be dissapontingly "tractor-y"

Its a bit subjective what is "too loud" and open to personal taste - but you might hate the sound it makes and wish it was quieter/ thgat you had left the back-box on - trust me on that

Sadly I dont have a sound recording but ill see if I can do one for you

Salsheikh cheers and foca I see what your saying mate and no I don't have a de_cat

Salsheikh cheers and foca I see what your saying mate and no I don't have a de_cat

In my experience the turbo turbine,(+ the convoluted shape of the turbo exhaust manifold) the cat, and DPF all act as a kind of a silencer, so you might be ok with a "straight through" pipe after that, you wont really know if its too loud / you dont like the sound untill you do it, only thing i can suggest is that you cut the old back-box off and tie it up temporarily and go for a drive and see how loud it is before you fit the new/rs back box or not

Typical tests are -

Starting the car at 3am in a buily-up area

Driving past a police car

"Booting" it going onto an M-way etc

Giving your mom a lift - (she says - whats wrong with your car- do you need a new exhaust son?)

Does it turn heads for the wrong reason - like when driving past quick-fit?

If you went for a long trip would it really start to get on your/ your passengers nerves?

If you fit a K&N panel filter, cone filter, induction kit/ CAIS or drill the airbox - the induction sound would then compete with the exhaust

+ points is it helps to drown out the noisy tappets :lol:

Then you have the "tractor" sound - mine sounds like a big truck coming round the corner

Let us know how you get on

This dont sound loud does it?

th_20140309_121643_zps0wggpdfu.jpg

I don't think that sounds to bad ???

Its not loud at all considering whats involved!

It also turns a few heads:D