Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Court Summons

mactell

Hi all,

Around 6 months ago I got caught speeding 66 in a 30 on a dual carriage way at night...

I didn't hear anymore until yesterday when a caught summons arrived.

I can either plead guilty by post plead guilty by going to court and obviously not guilty but this isn't the case...

I have realised how stupid it was etc.. and I need my car for my job/work.

What is the best option?

Ouch, I was personally expecting this to happen as I was only thinking about it yesterday.

Take your day in court.

Plead guilty and show nothing but remorse and education, explain that since its happened you have lost sleep thinking of the consequences of your foolish actions.

If you can make the judge believe you have learned your lesson and explain how you rely on your car for home and work, ensuring that they understand the consequences of loss of licence you might get off with a short ban and a heavily bitten backside and fine.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Hmm okay, would it not be better to save time by just pleading guilty by post? Or does this not work out as well?

If you plead guilty by post, you are saying "its my fault, thanks" therefore you just get punished with the standard enforcement,

If you go to court, you get to explain how things are going to hit you, apologise face to face and show everything that is going to go, that way, your apologising, and you get the judge on your side which can make all the difference.

immediate fixed ban by post, or possible ban with a hefty fine - trust me, it makes a difference. - yes you will need a few quid for court costs, and you may choose to take a solicitor, but trust me, the face to face with the judge can be the difference between losing everything in job, work, family, to just getting a heavy kick in the backside with a wallet that hurts for a few months and keeping all of the above.

It's easy to plead guilty by post. It's a darn sight harder to show up in court and plead guilty and try to make amends.

Unofficially judges make look more favourable down on those who make the effort to try to convince the court they were wrong and are generally remorseful.

It's totally down to you, but if I were in the position, as James said, I'd grovel before the judge and make it my mission to convince him I was a stupid person but have changed since receiving the speeding notice. Show the judge you are aware speed kills, the danger you put yourself and others in, and that you are accepting of any punishment for your actions but hope the fact you have matured and learned from this incident goes some way to him being lenient.

You may want to consider booking yourself on a speed awareness course as a proactive action. Again, will show your willingness to learn from the mistake.

http://www.theaa.com/aadrivetech/driver-awareness/speed-awareness-course.html

Best of luck.

Okay that's fine. I just thought it might be a waste of a judges time going to court. But as all of you said I think I really need to express how much my license is a privilege and not a right.

• Like 1

We all make mistakes mate, trust me, we wouldn't be human otherwise. Learn, regret, move on.

Don't do it again though or I'll have to drive down to essex and sort ya out :lol: jks

• Like 2

Definately, they need to see what its going to cost you if you lose it!

A judge is there to offer punushment, the question is how little punishment can you get them to give you.

If you plead by post, they still ned to review the evidence, the confrssion and offer the sentence, whereas if you do it face to face, he has to read less :p

I agree with most of the comments and don't even considering not turning up to court. I would only add that you

should dress smartly and perhaps produce a letter from your employer explaining how a driving ban may affect your employment.

You could also prepare short notes to have with you when you are addressing the magistrates. These should contain the main

points you want to get over to them. The length of any driving ban the court may impose is likely to depend very much on yourattitude on the day!

Oh, and make sure you dress up for the occasion too, suit and everything. It's a must.

EDIT: Beaten by a few seconds.

If you plead guilty by post you will receive the default punishment for that offence usually.

But...

If you go to court and face a Magistrate, especially one who is have a bad day,the penalty imposed (points/fine or, that much over the limit...ban) could be much much worse. However, your potentially looking at a ban.

Weigh up the odds.but the most important thing I could advise...

1 - do not post anything further on here that can incriminate you further.

2 - if you value your license and need it for work, SEEK immediate legal advice from a solicitor that deals with motoring offences.

I got summoned to court about 8 or 9 years ago for pulling a wheelie on my bike. Classed as Dangerous Driving. (edit, may have been careless driving, can't remember)

I turned up at court, dressed to impress, license in hand. Showed regret and apologised, said I had no defense and that it was a stupid mistake and that I had since learnt my lesson.

Magistrate gave me 6 points and a £180 fine.

I was very very very lucky as I was almost certain I would get a ban. You never know, but you will be no worse off for turning up at court.

*edited again*

Apologies I just re read the original post. I'm just being thick!

Go to court, in a shirt and tie and pray for the best.

Good luck mate.

I don't have an awful lot of sympathy to be honest. Doing 10mph over the limit is an honest error of judgement. Doing almost two and a half times the speed limit is nothing short of idiotic.

the fact that it was late at night makes no difference. It only takes one other person to be on the road, and that's when crashes happen.

I get sick of reading "oh no i broke the law, please tell me how to get out of punishment" threads on car forums. you were stupid and they caught you being stupid. Take whatever punishment as a lesson. The bigger the better as far as i'm concerned.

• Like 3

I'm afraid I'd have to agree, more than twice the limit is beyond silly. I think 30 over the limit is auto ban just depends how long is down to the judge.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Go to court in your best rig, plead guilty, show remorse, show respect for their position and apologise with sincerity.

Remember they have heard all possible excuses so any pleading or begging is useless.

If losing your licence will affect work or finances severely then they will take that into consideration.

Take any punishment on the chin and learn from the experience.

Pleading by post will only make them think you don't care and they will impose the maximum punishment.

I don't have an awful lot of sympathy to be honest. Doing 10mph over the limit is an honest error of judgement. Doing almost two and a half times the speed limit is nothing short of idiotic.

the fact that it was late at night makes no difference. It only takes one other person to be on the road, and that's when crashes happen.

I get sick of reading "oh no i broke the law, please tell me how to get out of punishment" threads on car forums. you were stupid and they caught you being stupid. Take whatever punishment as a lesson. The bigger the better as far as i'm concerned.

Think we have been through this stuff some months ago when the lad first posted what happened. He knows what he did, so there is no point in rubbing it in even more.

• Like 1

Think we have been through this stuff some months ago when the lad first posted what happened. He knows what he did, so there is no point in rubbing it in even more.

I don't visit that often and certainly don't read every thread. But that doesn't invalidate my opinion (or revoke my right to voice an opinion), nor does it mean I'm "rubbing it in" just because somebody else has said it before without my knowledge.

I don't visit that often and certainly don't read every thread. But that doesn't invalidate my opinion (or revoke my right to voice an opinion), nor does it mean I'm "rubbing it in" just because somebody else has said it before without my knowledge.

I think his point was you already had your post edited by a mod in the OPs initial post after the incident happened. It was indeed YOU that said it before not someone else :lol:

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

• Like 1

I think his point was you already had your post edited by a mod in the OPs initial post after the incident happened. It was indeed YOU that said it before not someone else :lol:

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

Yes, because I can remember everything I've ever posted, obviously. :rolleyes:

I'm sure we've all had a heavy right foot at some time.

Sin and stones come to mind.

• Like 2

I remember the OP and I do feel sorry for him. We all make mistakes sadly. I personally like the warm support and advice a forum such as this can offer, every little helps.

Good luck on your day of court bud I will look out for a follow up regardless of punishment.

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

• Like 1

I got caught for 40 in a 30 zone a while back and took my licks like anyone else.

I sometimes forget which car I'm in and then suddenly realise I'm in my own car and not the work one and don't have the blue lights to fall back on.

Can anyone here honestly say they've never ever gone faster than the posted speed?

• Like 2

lol, now now guys!

its true, all are entitled to their opinion, but to be fair mac is very much aware of his errors, and its the consequences he must face, as well he knows...

Mac, I hope you do take all the advice on board as I am sure you will and I am sure we can all wish you (in the nicest possible way) a suitable punishment that extends upon the lesson you have learned, but doesn't affect your home, family or working situation, if possible!

• Like 1

Jeebs, you should look into a job with the UN. :d

• Like 1