Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miles Per Tank

D13 HPD 95

morning all,

this has been peeing me off since i have had my car for two years,

i fill up maybe once a week and get around 290 miles until i get down to 1/8 of a tank and need to refill again, now for a 1.2 that doesnt get hammered hammered just driven hard a couple of times a week, i admit its only about a 10mile trip to work, but still it should be better than that should it not??

and i also use super unleaded as normal unleaded doesnt pull right in 4th and 5th gear its a bit jerky at 1500-2200 rpm but super is fine

anyone got any ideas??

Well if your tank is around £50 to fill up your getting atleast 30mpg which seen as I'm getting 40mpg with a ecoboost, I wouldn't say your miles off ? I'm sure someone with a 1.2 n/a would clarify what there getting. Personally wouldn't see super unleaded making a difference in an older n/a car either tbh, but suppose the additives won't do it any harm.

Your consumption depends on a few things. Distance driven being a big one. If you make lots of short trips you'll use a lot more than the same distance but in a single journey. Tyre pressures if low will also increase consumption as will partially blocked air filter, and poor maintenance of the engine. Not that I'm saying you don't maintain your car well, it is a factor for some though.

Not sure what you mean by driven hard a couple of times a week, but yes, if you drive it hard, you'll see the engine suck fuel like no tomorrow. Try a week just taking it easy. My ST-2 is returning 42 mpg according to the trip computer at the moment. That's mainly doing 50-60 down back roads, 15 miles per journey 8 times a week. Booting it, I see the consumption going as poor as 15mpg, but averaging 30 still.

My daughter also runs a 1.2 she does short journeys about 10 miles each way twice a day. I'll see how often she has to fill up.

cheers guys, i only use super as like i said it stops the juddering in 4th and 5th gear at low revs, when i say booting it maybe 70-80 not alot but it seems abit low i think having to pay £48-£52 a tank when i only do 290 maybe 300 max

Yeh but if it's short journeys then the engine isn't warm and burns more fuel and stop/start etc ? And booting it at high revs ? So 30mpg isn't a million miles away in my opinion, higher octane fuel might stop the juddering but it might also be pre igniting causing it to burn more ? Don't hold me too it though, maybe try normal fuel and compare ? go for long runs and see if you get a better mpg, then you know it's your short journeys :)

cheers nathan, i have a 200mile trip on sunday for work so i will compare that

No problem :) just see how it goes, it'll be capable of more, I get 40mpg at the moment but it's capable of 50mpg. Rather have fun and not worry though Hahaa.

£50 tank divided by £1.34 (how much is super unleaded these days?) = 37.3l

37.3l divided by 4.54 = 8.2 gallons

300 miles divided by 8.2 = 36.6mpg

Sounds fine to me.

• Like 1

Best to brim the tank at each fill up and then do iNaths maths. This will give you a reliable mpg figure and not a guesstimate tank/miles figure.

Sounds about right, I've got a 1.6 TDCI and I get about the same out a tank. Average overall for me is just under 40 mpg and I only do pretty short journeys :) I've started useing v-power but doesn't seem to be any difference

Sounds about right, I've got a 1.6 TDCI and I get about the same out a tank. Average overall for me is just under 40 mpg and I only do pretty short journeys :) I've started useing v-power but doesn't seem to be any difference

:huh: :o :blink:

I'm shocked and appalled, anything under 50mpg in the 1.6 TDCi is a disgrace!

• Like 1

:huh: :o :blink:

I'm shocked and appalled, anything under 50mpg in the 1.6 TDCi is a disgrace!

Really!? My work is only about 8 miles away and I sit in traffic every morning that's probably the reason :(

Really!? My work is only about 8 miles away and I sit in traffic every morning that's probably the reason :(

What made you buy a diesel?

I hope you take it for a blast on the motorway once a week :) Hahaa won't do a diesel any good that

I hope you take it for a blast on the motorway once a week :) Hahaa won't do a diesel any good that

Yeah ;), it gets a good run pretty much every week

• Like 1

What made you buy a diesel?

At the time I just needed a car to be honest.. diesel was the first clean zetec s I came across and was a decent price so just went for I don't just do short journeys though, it gets a decent run every week

I have a 1.2 at the moment and get 34.5mpg.

But that is mainly a 2 Mile journey to work and back every day so the car doesn't get chance to warm up properly, and it's driven pretty aggressively as the journey is entirely country lanes.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club