Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abs Fault

sambo87

Hello everyone just wondered if anybody has got any advice for me I have a 2007 focus tdci and had a new genuine ford wheel bearing fitted to the car recently at my friends garage and the abs light came on as soon as I fetched it. My friend thought he could have damaged the sensor when removing the hub but he replaced the sensor and still no joy when it's plugged into his snap on computer it comes up with no signal to the side in question and doesn't reset. I then found out that if I bump start the car while moving at speed the abs light goes out and all seems well until I turn off the car so today I have stripped down the passenger side wheel and followed the abs cable back to the abs module which is hard wired in different to the genuine ford cable I have fetched today I tested the cable but it tested fine running out of ideas now could this be my abs module !Removed! itself all advice would be appreciated even if it is to set fire to the !Removed! thing thanks Sam :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

if code is suggesting no signal, then chances are its to do with the pick up ring that the sensor receives the signal from...taking it for granted that new sensor isnt faulty when i say this.

not aware what type of ring is on the focus..

could be a toothed cog, could be built into the bearing (if so, its possible bearing was fitted back to front) or a seal type ring that fits on inside of hub (if so, its possible that seal has been damaged or fitted wrong)

rather than explain how to test, easier to put a link in that explains how to...plenty more examples out there if needed.

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/maintenance/testing_abs/testing_abs.htm

should add, in this example, it forever states if no signal is detected, it must be sensor faulty, but its just as likely to be a problem somewhere including and/or between sensor and pick up

Thanks for the reply I have already tested the sensor a few weeks back and it tested fine the wheel bearing has the magnet built in and there is no way he could have put it in the wrong way as it come with the front of the hub with new studs etc we even tried a continuity test on the abs cables and wiggled and pulled the cable to see if there was a break it's really baffling me and I can't understand why ford would hard wire a abs cable into the abs module plug because this is going to get damaged at some point you have to take out the battery tray to see it nightmare .

when you say you've tested the sensor, does that include getting a signal when spinning by hand? or just a resistance test of the sensor itself

Getting a signal when the wheel was spinning by setting my tester on ohms and connecting this to the two prongs coming out the sensor the reading was pulsing but it showed a circuit cheers Sam

Right, apologies, I read it wrong

So your getting a signal back to the module.

Is the fault clearing then coming straight back when you move or is fault not clearing at all

No worries mate I only tested the sensor itself the cable is separate I haven't tried to test the cable and sensor together while spinning the wheel does anyone know how to test the abs module rang ford earlier and they are £1000

The fault just doesn't clear at all but when I bump started it the fault cleared and stayed off until I disturbed it last night

the bump start issue is a bit weird..but

if a no wheel sensor code isnt clearing when car is stationary, does tend to point to a module fault..should be able to clear it, then signal code shouldnt return till car is moving.

so chances are the signal actually works, easiest way to test is have someone check the signal with a scanner and compare to all other wheel sensors, as you drive...if signal is good, then usually points to module..cheapest option would be to send your module away for refurb (and testing to confirm)

Thanks I think I have found one in a scrap yard hopefully going to have a look tomorrow are the modules coded or is it a straight swap over

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club