Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Standard Or Enhanced Diesel During Remap

exponential

Hi guys.

Im due to have my engine remapped within the next two weeks and just wondered if the results of the remap would/could be influenced by the type of fuel in the tank whilst the remap is taking place.

So, if I am running BP ultimate at the time of remap, does that mean that running anything other than "ultimate" (standard BP) after remap would result in uncertain or poor engine performance?

I hope that makes sense?

I understand my engine is only 110HP but as far as I'm concerned, a remap done on any size engine is just as important as the last regardless of power.

Any thoughts on this guys.....

Mike.

It will make a slight difference, I would say go in there with standard fuel (whatever it is you use by default) and you get the best outa the worst, then if you put the best in, it can only get better :)

it really would be a very slight difference though, not much at all!

Haha yeah, it's not like I'm running a Nissan Skyline with twin turbos and 600BHP! I wish!

I'm having issues with hesitation, poor throttle response and bad MPG at the minute so I'm looking forward to my mapper getting his hands on the car due to a failed DPF delete a few weeks ago (as you may have read when I posted about it).

I will fill it with standard then mate.....

Failed Dpf delete? What happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Failed Dpf delete? What happened.

Hi Gareth.

I spoke to a local mapper over the phone about my car as I was having DPF issues with the EML coming on all the time.

He has a fancy website and after talking to him a few times and saving up the money to have it done, I booked it in.

I took the car to him and he said it will be done in around 4 hours....6 hours later he rang me saying he was having problems with the ECU not taking a remap which immediately concerned me.

I told him to keep the car until it was all complete.

After having the car for 12 hours, he rang and said it was done so I went to pick it up.

I was instantly dissapointed. The car felt no different whatsoever and to make it worse, the guy came with me to try it out and every time I floored it, he kept pushing his head back in anticipation of my turbo kicking in!!

He was trying to give me the illusion of more power and it was comical looking back on it (but I was fuming inside at the time).

I knew then that something was amiss and thats when I noticed my electronic fuel guage wasnt working.

I fill the tank and the fuel needle shows full but the electronic fuel guage always shows around 80 miles.

It reduces and warns me of low fuel then it will change again to show 60 miles and so on. It changes all the time so I have to rely on the fuel needle to see what i have in the tank.

The map itself failed within 2 weeks. The car became erratic under acceleration with my MPG guages fluctuating randomly.

It was when the car started to regenerate that I rang him. I mean, he deleted the DPF so how is it regenerating?

He tried a further 3 times to correct the fault but in the end I had had enough and got a refund on the map but not the DPF delete as he assured me it had been done.

I got £250 back off him after having to barter with about it!

I am now left with a car that has had a DPF delete but is running on standard Ford maps.

I have a OBDII code reader linked to my phone so I continually have to delete error codes.

Car is running horrible at the moment and im only getting 40MPG but I have a friend who has me booked in for a thorough vehicle diagnostic.

His friend is a mapper and he is going check my entire car and focus specifically on the work this guy has "supposed" to have done and will keep the car for a week to ensure everything is perfect.

Something tells me he has just drilled out the DPF instead of removing carefully and welding back up because I keep getting strange rattling sounds from my engine when I am at idle.

I can only wait until the mapper tells me what has (or hasnt) been done in a couple of weeks when Im booked in.

Not a happy bunny at the moment......

Sorry for the long post mate!

Crikey, didnt realise it had gone that sour! at least you managed to get some money back from it, but if its regenerating, then it hasnt been done properly, you might just need a new map to remove the last traces of it...?

Reading things like this makes me angry, it is incompetent idiots like this that gives the automotive trade a bad name. Deleting the dpf and regen maps in the 1.6 TDCI is actually incredibly simple (just a 2 byte change). If they can't get this right then I dread to think what will happen when they come across a much more complex ecu system.

I love the fact the guy tried to trick you into thinking the car was faster by moving his head back! Crazy!

Good luck with it and I hope the new tuner sorts it out for you! Feel free to give us a call if you need any advise.

• Like 1

Crikey, didnt realise it had gone that sour! at least you managed to get some money back from it, but if its regenerating, then it hasnt been done properly, you might just need a new map to remove the last traces of it...?

Yeah mate, its been a nightmare! Have to constantly delete error codes as I demanded the original Ford map be put back in it as,my new mapper would not touch it without the original Ford map installed.

Unfortunately for my friend, he was taken ill a week ago (hospitalised) so wasn't able to help me but it will be dealt with in the next couple of weeks... :-)

Reading things like this makes me angry, it is incompetent idiots like this that gives the automotive trade a bad name. Deleting the dpf and regen maps in the 1.6 TDCI is actually incredibly simple (just a 2 byte change). If they can't get this right then I dread to think what will happen when they come across a much more complex ecu system.

I love the fact the guy tried to trick you into thinking the car was faster by moving his head back! Crazy!

Good luck with it and I hope the new tuner sorts it out for you! Feel free to give us a call if you need any advise.

I can understand how it upsets you but can you take it from a customer's point if view?

He said all that to me on the phone about how it annoys him when he hears horror stories etc etc....yet dropped me like a stone when it went wrong! No.disrespect to yourself bud.

He said that because I have a euro 5 engine, the ECU is a different design to what he is used to and thats why he couldn't crack it?

Yeah. It was really funny looking back how he jerked his head back around 1800 revs! LOL

My friend assures me that his mapper is 100% legit and deals with Ford engines on a daily basis so I'm excited at the prospect of getting my car mapped and running tip top. :-)

I will certainly contact you if I need any info or help...

Thanks...

Mike

Yes I can see how it must have been upsetting and frustrating for you. We've all been ripped off by a company at some point in our lives, not fun.

Just for your own info, the 09 focus 1.6 TDCI has the same ECU and DPF solution as the earlier models, the only thing that makes them slightly trickier is the fact they sometimes don't like to be programmed through the obd port, therefore often the ECU needs to be removed and opened and then programmed with a BDM tool.

Good luck.

Yes I can see how it must have been upsetting and frustrating for you. We've all been ripped off by a company at some point in our lives, not fun.

Just for your own info, the 09 focus 1.6 TDCI has the same ECU and DPF solution as the earlier models, the only thing that makes them slightly trickier is the fact they sometimes don't like to be programmed through the obd port, therefore often the ECU needs to be removed and opened and then programmed with a BDM tool.

Good luck.

I think this guy tried his best to fix it but it was clearly beyond him. It's just a shame that it didn't work.

My DPF is a "coated" DPF so has no eoyls tank as far as I am aware anyway. The reason I say this is because my service shedule on the Ford ETIS site has no mention of having to replace the DPF at the 75k mark.

He did have to physically remove my ECU and had to bench map it FYI.

I will keep you informed on this.....

Thanks for your input bud. :-)

Yeah jeebo. It's been a bit of a nightmare mate.

I'm really looking forward to having my car done properly this time!! :-)

Cant say I blame you, all the benefits (presuming MOT is good!) and all the cheap runnings :p

Cant say I blame you, all the benefits (presuming MOT is good!) and all the cheap runnings :p

I really hope so mate, I really do..... :-)

name and shame the tuner!!

Hi dread.

I will consider doing that after my new mapper reports back to me.

Its booked in in 2 weeks time.

He is going to basically strip everything out and check all the work that this guy has done, only then will I know if he has done what he says he had done.

For all I know, he could have done an excellent job on the DPF delete and reweld etc but just stuffed up the map so until I have conclusive proof of the work done, I can't justify naming and shaming just yet.

Be sure to know though that if it turns out to be a bodge job, I will be naming and shaming.not only on this site, but the many other sites I know he has dealings with!

whos doing the remedial work for you then buddy?

It may sound strange this but I don't know! :-D

The guy I bought the car off is a good friend of mine and there is nothing he doesn't know about the car trade and how to strip down engines and rebuild them, add modifications etc etc.

He really is the best mechanic I have ever known, always knows the answers to any engine related issues.

He has a huge group of contacts at his disposal, one of which is modder/mapper.

I don't know the mapper or even the name of his company and I dont need to know. I trust my mate and know that he will only accept perfection so that's enough for me....

Im looking forward to meeting him so we can get this fixed!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gareth.

Not yet mate. My guy is back in work on Thursday after recovering from him operation.

He is just.as eager to get my car fixed.for me as I am.

I'm going to assume he'll ask me to drop it down this weekend.

So let's say in 2 weeks max it will be sorted. :-)

I'll post with the results mate.

I'll

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club