Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong Petrol Smell ..... But No Leaks!!

tvoakes74

I have an X-Reg Fiesta (yr 2000) petrol 1.3.

Recently I have a strong petrol smell from the filler cap area of the car, the car is not losing fuel, nit using more fuel than normal.

Had MOT today an asked the garage to really be thorough with the fuel lines etc. The filler neck pipe from the petrol cap to the tank was 'wet' at the elbow however the garage could not detect any leaks!

The smell is strong, can only be smelled from by the filler cap, cant be detected from the rear of the car nor can it be detected from inside the car. Sender unit is secure, tank not leaking!

Is it possible that this is just vapour? And why would I have only been able to smell petrol for the past couple of weeks and not beforehand. The only thing that has changed recently was having my rear suspension changed - wondering whether the pipe was damaged slightly during this repair etc!

Cars hey!!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tracy

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

cant remember the set up on the older fiestas, but check the breather pipes are in good condition..think they run from the tank, alongside the filler neck and end behind the cap, at top of the neck...any pipes cracking or split will see little, if any, fuel leaking but give off strong vapour...only needs the tiniest split

might also be worth just changing the cap, sometimes the caps or the seal pack up so again give off vapour.

not sure what you meant exactly by the 'wet' elbow on the filler neck..wet with what? but id have that area thoroughly checked too

Will check those pipes (well, my uncle will haha).

When I say 'wet' the pipe is completely dry but at the part where it bends to towards the tank the colour is darker and looks like the pipe is wet!

Tracy

easiest first step would be to change the cap...did loads on the older cars as it was quite common...worth a £15/20 gamble

btw.

i could be wrong about the breather pipes...depends on the set up of the EVAP (which is designed to purge the vapours through the engine) but there will be breather pipes running from the tank somewhere.

Cheers, I'll try the cap first - far cheaper than the pipes/hoses etc!

Many thanks

Tracy

Tracy

have you checked the injector seals...?

Wase - thanks for your advice! My fuel cap looks like theres something missing from it - its very stiff to lock and unlock! Called ford to order a new one but they suggested putting a but of vaseline inside the lock itself to loosen in mechanism inside!

post-50092-139480069812_thumb.jpgpost-50092-139480070959_thumb.jpg

Tracy

Jeebowhite .... not sure where they would be! The smell is def from the filler pipe region, nothing from engine compartment etc

Tracy

ah ok, my bad!

Does indeed look like it could be a bad seal!

• Like 1

looks a bit ropey to me, but if your unable to fully lock the cap, could explain the fumes as its the lock that pulls the cap tight.

wd40 could help it, but still think it may pay to just get it replaced

@wase16II Doesnt look good does it! When you unlock it there is no 'release of air' so the cap is definitely busted! Phoned Ford earlier - they have to order one in so just bought a universal one for now ..... hey presto - no more fumes!

Thanks for your help!!

Tracy

• Like 1

i like the simple fixes...could do with a few myself this week, every job is turning into a drama...

Hha - that what usually happens to me .... Makes a change to have an easy fix for once!

Tracy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club