Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Front Parking Sensors

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

So I am ordering a set of front and rear parking sensors, I am looking at a means of powering these, I want it to be automatic like running off the reverse light, but I also want it to operate when driving forward in first gear...

I am thinking a primary power supply from the reverse light, or fusebox, but I am trying to think of a way to power it whilst in first gear?

Any Thoughts?

James

Could you use the same method as mentioned in the 'Dash-cam' thread? ie Get one of those piggyback fuses and plug it into the permanent live fuse?

Thats what I thought, but then my parking sensors would be active from 0 to 130mph! I dont know if it would drive me mad being on the motorway, and someone starts to tailgate me and I know it!

I have been looking into something, and I wonder if it would work...

I found a "remote switch" for an LED, that puts it on or in standby, I am wondering if that might work, so I can connect that in the middle of the fuse relay, so I can remotely turn it on and off from the front seat, but powered via the rear fusebox, or similar. But then I dont want the car to be beeping all night just because I park it up and forget to turn it off, then someone parks up behind me.

Does anyone know of a timer / relay that I could user perhaps for example, if I wire the reverse sensors off the rear light, then this device can hold power for a small amount of time continuing the parking sensors on the front after the reverse lights are off?

I have had a look for a few capacitors, and I am looking for something that can play with 0.18 aH's, so I just need to find a capacitor that will hold charge for about 10 seconds after its filled...

Any thoughts?

When I was fitting front parking sensors to my Focus and how I could duplicate the factory method of activating them automatically at 6mph (or less) I found this canbus adaptor which gives a live 12v feed on the relevant wire whenever reverse or 6mph forward.

However, I decided that a small toggle switch and led warning light (sited in the R/H blanking plate) would be better since part of my journey regularly involves sitting traffic queues and I didn't want the warning beeps constantly going off; it's also easier to install and much cheaper too.

Looks an idea Rob!

My alternative idea, is a remote control switch for the parking sensors, and running them off a live source :)

I suppose with the can adapter though, are we going to have to cut into existing wires.

Wire the rear sensors via the reversing lights and the front ones on the whole time, then you'll know if it goes off you're too close to the car in front! :)

Lol yup. I am sure it will always go off.... :-P

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Have a timer connected to the reverse lights, for example 555-monostable setup. Then when power is lost, the fronts will remain in for a set period of time

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

How about similar to the rear demister that goes off after a short while? Possibly just a relay?

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

These are good idea's the problem is that my electrical knowledge doesnt suffice to know how to put these together, the problem is that when the rear lights go off, the power is gone altogether, so I would need a way to get the power. Happy to learn though and start collating...

Using a timer connected tobyhe reverse light won't be of much use if your drivimg directly forward into a parking bay.

On some factory cars with this function it's always on and people do find it annoying. Captain idea is good but where would you find a wiring that is active below that sort of speed?

James I would wiring in a manual switch on/off that feeds off an ignition live so if you do forget to turn it off... it will turn off once ignition is off.

Possibly find a gear stick toggle switch that attach to your gear stick for easy reach

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

Cheers Kurt, well thats the general idea I am going with! I have ordered a massive line of 30m speaker wire, also ordered the remote control kit so that I can add a wireless remote to it, so rather than it being toggled by the gear leaver, its all out the back.

All I need to do is leave it on ignition live, then if it does my head in, I just click the button!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club