Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wipers Slightly Annoying!

MiltyG565

The wipers on my Focus are odd. They are jerky, they don't wipe the whole way across to the screen edge, and often don't park at the bottom properly, but sit annoyingly across the bottom portion of the screen. What's causing them to behave like this?

When I say "jerky", I mean there is a momentary pause at the top of the wipe, and another one at the bottom of the wipe cycle, rather than one smooth continuous motion.

It might be that there's muck on the wiper contacts. Meaning its not returning to the bottom

The wiper linkage may be partially seized so a bit of lubrication may help - I've had to remove the linkage on several of my cars in the past and grease it up .

The wiper linkage may be partially seized so a bit of lubrication may help - I've had to remove the linkage on several of my cars in the past and grease it up .

That sounds like it could be the problem! It explains the jerkiness.

On the fiat punto,s when this happens it's the linkage is worn so it's possible it's the same on the focus

Can also be relay on MK1s

Ok, can you go into a little more detail on this please? I would have thought a relay failing would have worse symptoms than wipers just not returning to the bottom properly.

I found the problem. One of the connections of the linkage is kind of... missing.

Trying to get the photos from my phone to my laptop now, Ed. I'll post a photo when I've worked it out. The linkage itself isn't missing, but one of rubber washers that sits in the hole has disappeared, so the bolt is moving more than the linkage, causing the wipers to not have a full wipe, if that makes sense?

Ah I see! To answer your question about the relays, I know someone who's wipers would stop mid return with a mk1, relay replaced and that fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Sorry Ed, I never managed to get the photos from my phone onto my laptop so that I can show you. I'll try a different approach tomorrow. :)

I've ordered a new wiper mechanism. Hopefully it arrives in the morning. I've also ordered a new pollen filter cover and wiper mechanism cover/scuttle pan/whatever-you-call-that-thing. I have no idea why 2 pieces of plastic came to a grand total of £70, and the wiper mechanism with wiper motor came to £15! I would have expected that to be the expensive part!

Anyway, if it arrives in the morning, I'll fit it and let you know how it goes, because I know you're all on the edge of your seat, wanting to know! :lol::rolleyes:

Fixed! :)

Unplugged the old motor, screwed out the bolts for the mechanism, dropped the new mechanism and motor isn, put the covers back on, screwed the wiper arms on, and HEY PRESTO! Fully functioning wiper arms! :lol:

God that hurt my leg though! Why aren't wipers closer to the front of the car? :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club