Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whirring noise when clutch not pressed down!!

Nipz

Hey all,

I was just sat in the car waiting for mother to get in with the radio off and noticed when the car was turned on and in neutral the car was whirring and only stopped when i pressed the clutch in! I slowly pressed it in and gets to about half way or biting point when the noise stops...

I dont no much about cars but it almost sounds like the clutch is always engaged.

Any ideas?

Thanks

it sounds like the clutch release bearing is on its way out, as its a gearbox off job look at doing the clutch at the same time.

• Like 1

Mine does that aswell, but i don't think its clutch related as it sounds like a fan kicking in *adds this onto list of problems ford needs to fix*

I have taken a audio recording but dont no how to upload it to share with you all! Any one?

The recording is in .caf and cant seem to convert it. Would love for you guys to hear it and give me your views and to see if Marks issue is the same...

If you want to hear it i would happily email it to you.

upload it to computer then to photobucket and then copy the img code onto here,

upload it to computer then to photobucket and then copy the img code onto here,

I have it on my desktop and used different programs to convert to .MP3 etc but they dont work. Cant get it out of the .caf...

I found a place to upload it to but has to be .MP3 or .MP4 :(

Anyone help?

Nipz, if you have MSN PM me your addy and send me the file

Ok me and Mark have the same issue (if it is an issue).

No one else have this noise?

Hey all,

I was just sat in the car waiting for mother to get in with the radio off and noticed when the car was turned on and in neutral the car was whirring and only stopped when i pressed the clutch in! I slowly pressed it in and gets to about half way or biting point when the noise stops...

I dont no much about cars but it almost sounds like the clutch is always engaged.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The clutch is engaged in neutral. Is the noise loud?

The clutch is engaged in neutral. Is the noise loud?

Proved my point :) PM an email addy and ill send you the file.

Is the noise there the whole time or does it come in at 0:08?

Is the noise there the whole time or does it come in at 0:08?

Comes in at 0:08 when i lift the clutch.

Comes in at 0:08 when i lift the clutch.

tbh, i think that is normal. When you engage the clutch in neutral, the gearbox still has drive going to it, just no gear to turn. So i would imagine that the noise is just some part of the gearbox rotating. My current fiesta also makes a similar noise when the clutch is relaesed in neutral. btw is it a diesel? or did you record from inside the engine bay?

tbh, i think that is normal. When you engage the clutch in neutral, the gearbox still has drive going to it, just no gear to turn. So i would imagine that the noise is just some part of the gearbox rotating. My current fiesta also makes a similar noise when the clutch is relaesed in neutral. btw is it a diesel?

Petrol, the bonnet is open :) not that noisy inside!

Right, i've been doing some research into this and it does appear to be normal. It's something to do with how ford's gear box works and emissons control to keep the Co2 down. At first i thought it was the A/C fan kicking in but it still done it when the A/C was off.

Right, i've been doing some research into this and it does appear to be normal. It's something to do with how ford's gear box works and emissons control to keep the Co2 down. At first i thought it was the A/C fan kicking in but it still done it when the A/C was off.

Where did you find this out? Can everyone check their cars to see if were all in the same boat please :)

Hey all,

Any ideas?

Thanks

hiya nipz, member zetec s had a similar problem (see his post dated 02/03/09). i have also had this whirring noise (terrible when you are in slow moving traffic, kept checking the rear view mirror in case there was an emergency vehicle approaching, next time you are in stop/start traffic turn your radio off and see) with mine turned out to be gearbox trouble, have had 5th gear and input shaft replaced and it's been o.k since.

hope this is of some help, 60+

I also notice a whirring noise particularly when stopping at lights, like 60+ it does sound like an emergency vehicle in the distance. In fairness though, it's not that loud.

mine turned out to be gearbox trouble, have had 5th gear and input shaft replaced and it's been o.k since.

hope this is of some help, 60+

O really! I will ring the dealer now to see what they say.

Would you mind me sending you the audio clip to see if it sounded the same? PM me if you do

Thanks for the info.

Ben

Just rang my dealer. Going down between 10-12 tomorrow to speak to one of the guys and he will have a look and see what he thinks.

I also mentioned the software update and she told me we would talk about it tomorrow.

Let me know how you get on with the software update Nipz.

I will see if I have this problem when I go to work this morning.

Let me know how you get on with the software update Nipz.

I will see if I have this problem when I go to work this morning.

Ok just been down to my dealer.

The head mechanic came out to have a look and said i was right to come down, but its totally normal for the new fiesta. He said that the new fiesta doesnt have asbestos in the clutch or breaks which makes them a little louder. What i can hear is just the bearing engaged with the clutch and the reason why it stops when the clutch is pushed in is because the fluid drowns it out.

Pooh he is going to ring me about the software update as he said he hasn't heard anything. I did explain what was new and he said he will ring me when he knows either way.

• 8 years later...

Hi, newbie here... :smile:

I have a 36K mile, 2014 Mk 7 1.25 fiesta.

On cold start up in neutral and then releasing the clutch I get a whirring noise which disappears when i press the clutch pedal down again. However having driven 20 minutes or so, the whirring noise isn't there when releasing the clutch pedal. No one seems to have mentioned the situation once engine has warmed up.

Is this normal or do I have something to worry about?

Thanks very much

Laura

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club