Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sold My Focus And I've Gone German

btmaldon

What have I done. I sold my low mileage 11 plate Focus Sport yesterday morning and went and bought a 320i M Sport Coupe in the afternoon.

I'm now having second thoughts because of the possible running costs, run flat tyres etc. You don't get a spare or even a jack and wheel brace. Tyres are £250 each and my insurance has nearly doubled.

Am I mad or what?

Its a 2008 on a 57 plate but with only 37k miles on the clock. Full Leather Auto/Semi Auto etc

Should of got an ST!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

This is not to put you off, just my observations based upon my manager's 57-plate 3-series diesel (don't think it's an M-type) that has runflats on it.

The combination of rockhard (I hope you know a good dentist) runflats and rear-wheel drive means the car really struggles for any sort of grip; when there's even the tiniest bit of ice/snow he now uses his son's 1.25 Fiesta to get to work.

Although those runflats are rockhard they don't last much more than 15k-20k miles and at £1000 a set I hope you don't wear lead socks or shoes as once they get to about 3mm remaining tread depth the wet grip deteriorates badly. I took a look at the tread pattern on the runflats and it's never going to help; circumferential grooves with very tiny latteral grooves won't give you much grip in the wet and virtually s0d all in snow. The side wall of the tyres are VERY stiff; they have to be in order to provide rigid columnar support for the weight of the car when the tyre is deflated which means the cushioning effect of a normal tyre isn't present (hence my 'dentist' remark).

Even putting two or three 1/2cwt bags of sand in the boot doesn't improve the situation much; I've watched the antics of him trying to move the beast on a flat snow covered carpark and it's rather amusing seeing the BMW just trying to even get moving whereas all the front-wheel drive cars drive off as normal. Note that it's not my manager's driving style as he's had plenty of experience of driving other RWD cars in snow/ice/slush; it just seems to be the a characteristic of the BMW combined with the runflats as other RWDs are able to get going.

In case you're thinking "I'll just put some normal tyres on then" well you can't as the rim is a special type that's only designed for the runflats as the MUST be able to keep the tyre from moving around on the rim and most importantly, not coming off the rim. Therefore to use normal tyres you'll need a new set of rims too.

I'll refrain from answering your "Am I mad or what?" question as my answer may be prejudicial to my health. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

tbh, bmw's are notoriousdly bad on grip in snow/ice no matter what tyres are on it...

• Like 1

There's a video on YouTube of an e46 m3 with snow tyres gripping like a beast uphill!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Although i'm a ford fanatic thru & thru after my mk1.5 thought about a BMW 32od m sport with m sport goodies , was a great car but then thought bad weather,snow/ice a no no.also feedback for fords & know how/affordability ,parts availability is the best.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Look at it this way, atleast you'll look good!

Seriously though, running cost will be much higher than a focus and rob is bang on, what were you missing from the focus that made you want a bmw?

Look at it this way, atleast you'll look good!

Seriously though, running cost will be much higher than a focus and rob is bang on, what were you missing from the focus that made you want a bmw?

I get bored with cars fairly quick but the last Focus I had was for three years. I've never had a car that long and fancied a change, especially as the previous car was an 09 Focus. So after 5 years and now car loan free, I feel like a change and having a bit more money in my pocket can run something a bit more expensive.

Fortunately I like a firm ride and this thing isn't that hard that my teeth would fall out. In fact it isn't anywhere as hard as I thought it would be, even with 19 inch wheels.

I would have loved an ST but would cannot afford the new shape. However, I am sure I will be back in a Ford as I always return to them. Probably going to change the wife's car soon and that's likely going to be another Ford anyway.

• Like 1

Good luck with the new Car Bruce, they are a nice looking car.

They're great cars honestly, but ditch the runflats when you change the tyres, most owners do that and the ride really becomes spot on. Also as for snow and ice. It's spring soon, so it's not an issue!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Tbh mate, fair play to you! You have obviously fancied a BMW for a while and you have went out and got one! Yes maybe your discovering that they are expensive to run but even if you only keep it for a short while its something you can look back on and say that you have owned!

Health to drive mate!

to be honest fella, you fancy something new!

I cant say I blame you for wanting something new, you get German quality, but you do have to pay German sized bills to accompany! as long as its what you want, good on you for doing it!

• Like 1

noooooooo not a beamer useless in the winter and expensive to fix also the 320 is notorious for gearbox judder in first Check PAS fluid level regularly. Steering rack may leak fluid unnoticed
out of end seal and into track rod end gaiter. Seems to be a Europe-wide
shortage of parts to correct this.

19" wheels prone to cracking from shocks from poor road surfaces, speed humps and potholes

Repeated coil and injector problems on 4-cylinder petrol engines from 2007.

Coil and injector problems reported on 6-cylinder petrol engines from 2007 as well.

Cold weather fault can develop with 'Active Steering'. There is a dealer
TSB on this and it should be attended to during routine service.
Otherwise, the cost is a stiff £1,750 + VAT for a new steering column,
though BMW is aware and had been known to do the decent thing on 4 year
old cars, even those serviced independently.

Catalogue of problems reported with used 2009 320i M Sport coupe between
38,000 and 42,000 miles: In the cold spell during the Winter the car
broke an ignition coil, which was fixed under warranty at the supplying
dealer. Shortly after, a warning on the instrument panel illuminated.
The light was a picture of the engine with a line through it that was
the reduced power indicator. Turned out that the ignition coil failure
had caused a misfire that spiked the catalytic converter. The repair was
made under warranty. Soon after, the warning came on again. The dealer
stripped the engine, replaced the timing chain and replaced the fuel
injector seals, which they observed to be leaking slightly. Again the
repair was made under warranty. Two weeks later the same warning light
came on again. The car was booked in for a product quality recall on the
ignition coils. The next time it was driven the light came on again.

yeah german reliability thats why i dont buy em anymore should have went japanese mate if the winters get bad you will need a 2nd car if youre going to keep it i strongly advise getting a good warranty also when i was in the garage i saw bmws almost cripple owners with the costs

Any chance you can back out of the Focus Sale? :p

i would if im honest in the garage we saw many bmws and they are low down in the reliability standards as well rated poor average bill is £600 we saw cracked heads timing chain issues many need regular oil changes 2-3 times a year tyres are extortionate even if you change them youll need good quality tyres for a bmw youll spend £500-600 on tyres alone thats standard tyres ive had german before working in the garage and got rid ill never go back after what i saw german quality is way over rated ide have went for a japanese or korean brand

would agree, think bm's are one of the most overated makes going...get a good one, they are blinding cars..but good ones seem to becoming an exception rather than the rule.

There are good and bad cars regardless of the manufacturer. My uncle had an Alpina D3 for 2 years and did 50k in it. Never missed a beat. Don't think he spent a penny on it other than tyres! My cousins driven an X5 for 3, same story.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

There are good and bad cars regardless of the manufacturer.

100%...but seen/known too many horrendous and expensive issues on them, especially the popular models...quite like the x5, know a few that have been more than happy with them but still wouldnt have one myself. mind you, never been interested in purchasing the chelsea tractor types anyway.

think Mercs and Audis are way ahead of BMW...though have always preferred the look of the BM

There are good and bad cars regardless of the manufacturer. My uncle had an Alpina D3 for 2 years and did 50k in it. Never missed a beat. Don't think he spent a penny on it other than tyres! My cousins driven an X5 for 3, same story.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

My dad has has had an '03 X5 since it was brand new, the only time it's died in the 180,000 miles it's done is when the alternator died at about 160,000. It's been superbly reliable and still cruises at 95 whisper quiet and solid as a rock.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Ford OC mobile app

theres not a bmw in the top 100 reliable cars i can say hand on heart theres more bad bmws than good in fact i dont know one person who even owns one anymore

dont look at the rest then they are all poor the only reason the z3 gets a decent rep is bmw did a half decent job on it the ratings for the rest are simply poor

They are good for company cars - flash, look good, plenty of toys to play with on the motorway and the business picks up the repair tabs!

I really cant see myself getting one!

Its all about the Focus RS 500

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club