Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Mondeo Build Thread

Ben87

Hi, I've been a member of this site for a while now but have never put on anything of my car so I thought I'd give it ago today :-)

It's a 2.0TDCi 115bhp that started out as a bog standard Mistral model.

I got the car 3 years ago which at the time had full leather in (installed badly by previous owner), catback powerflow exhaust twin exit, front bumper changed for a zetec s one and rear bumper to a ST one and ST alloys.It didn't take long till the modification bug came and got me!

This is a list of what I've done over the last couple of years:

Lowered on Eibach springs

Powerflex rear subframe bushes fitted

Powerflex front anti-roll bar D bushes

Zetec-S sideskirts

Full interior changed to half leather including door cards. (Taken from an 07 plate mondeo titanium)

Rear Windows converted to electric

Decat pipe fitted

K&N panel filter

Interior bulbs changed to LED including boot

Front sidelights, front foglight bulbs and number plate bulbs changed to LED

Chrome door weather seals fitted

alloys powdercoated black

EGR blanked

Remapped

Bigger intercooler fitted

Turbo rysanator removed

Silicone turbo hoses fitted

All Speakers upgraded

Plans for the next couple of months is too have the roof wrapped in gloss black as well as the wing mirror covers, paint all grey exterior plastics gloss black and custom fit some mudflaps (ford original hopefully)

Would be good to hear what you guys think of it and any suggestions on what to do next.

post-2118-139500326431_thumb.jpg

post-2118-139500337253_thumb.jpg

post-2118-139500339264_thumb.jpg

post-2118-139500341866_thumb.jpg

post-2118-139500346766_thumb.jpg

post-2118-139500350608_thumb.jpg

Sent from my KFJWI using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

liking that a lot and looks like you have spent some money making it like a st.

• Like 1

Haha yeah defo some money spent on it, a lot of the stuff was eBay finds so wasn't too bad.

I'm liking the look of your focus, the black wheels really suit it.

How hard did you find doing the carbon wrap??

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

cheers fella and the carbon wrap wasent to bad just a bit fideley just take your time doing it and you should be ok

Might get some wrap of eBay and give it ago. I'll start with the wing mirror covers first see how I do.

Very nice mate...you know that front bumper is ST not Zetec S yeah?

Get those headlights black-eyed too pal, dead easy and dead cheap, makes the front end that bit meaner and a must to go with your wheels and the other bits your gonna be gloss black-ing. ;)

post-30295-0-76518700-1395532405_thumb.j

PS Lovely car by the way, a lot of things there are on my list as well!

Cheers for the comments Gforce, after seeing yours i think the black headlights are a must.

I thought it was an ST front bumper but i wasn't a 100% sure about it.

Wish i had the 2.2TDCi in it like yours tho :-).

I've just got some powerfold wing mirrors off eBay that i won, so will be getting them fitted when they arrive, planning on changing the puddle lights on them to LED too.

ben87 I think the wing mirror covers will look good and will be very easy to do.

as gforce said get the head lights black eyed as they would fit in very well with the rest of the black bits you got

Cheers b4zz will get some wrap ordered next week I think. Is there a guide on here for doing the black headlights mod?

looks the dogs mate!, Top job , love the ST look awesome!

Thanks admiral, I appreciate the comments. Love the new mondeo especially the titanium x like yours. Would be my next choice of car if I could afford it.....and bring myself to get rid of the one I've got now ;-).

I thought it was an ST front bumper but i wasn't a 100% sure about it.

No worries mate, was just going by your first post where you'd mentioned Zetec S front, just a heads up in case you went lookin to source an ST front bumper when you already have one!

Is there a guide on here for doing the black headlights mod?

Don't think there's a guide so to speak, but it's dead easy. I did mine a few weeks ago as soon as I picked up the new Mondy. Think it cost me a fiver in the pound shop all in! I picked up 1 x packet of wire wool, 2 x rattle can of grey primer, and 2 x rattle can of matte black.

Remove the headlights (remove grille, remove headlight retaining pins (2 for each light), unplug connector).

Take a heat gun (aka the missus' hairdryer!) to the sealant around the headlights and it's just a matter of patience to soften it. Use a couple of small flat screwdrivers (or butter knives) and work your way round the light, pulling the lens away from the back as you go. As I said, patience is key here. Some people stick them in the oven at low heat rather than working round, but I've never risked it. If my cooking's anything to go by this wouldn't turn out well!

Then there are two screws holding the chrome inserts to the back - one above the main beam reflector bowl, and one down around the sidelight. You'll need to pop the sidelight lens out from behind to get access.

Word of warning here - do not touch the chrome reflector bowls still in the housing as these will mark extremely easily and can't be just wiped clean!

Key the surface of the chrome inserts with wire wool or a fine grade wet & dry paper or similar and apply your primer. I left over night in the hot press at this point.

Next morning I applied the matte black and returned to the hot press until I got back from work.

When everything is dry, refit the inserts to the headlights with the two screws, and refit the sidelight lens. Up to yourself then what you do with the indicator lens. I de-tango'd mine by simply removing the orange lens and fitting some silver indicator bulbs. You could go the whole hog and source some clear Focus Mk1.5 indicator lens which need modded to fit, but I think just removing them altogether is an improvement from the orange lens.

Then refit the headlight lens to the unit. For this you can either simply reheat the existing sealant and stick them back together, or add a new bead the whole way round. I've just reheated the existing sealant on both sets of headlights I've split (my old Zetec S and current ST) with no issues. You'll want an airtight seal to prevent condensation when all back together.

Another top tip is to give the lenses a proper clean on the inside before refitting as the last thing you wanna see when you stand back to admire your work is the inside of the lenses covered in dirty fingerprints!

Think that's about it, if you've any questions just shout!

post-30295-0-28833000-1395614397_thumb.j

post-30295-0-96850500-1395614668_thumb.j

post-30295-0-48192700-1395615592_thumb.j

Thanks Gforce, this info is definitely going to help, I think I'll do the De-tango like you said by just popping the lenses out and using the silver indicator bulbs. I'll get some pics up when I've done them too

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update the power fold wing mirrors finally arrived and got them fitted a couple of days ago. At first they didn't work but some help off you guys the right relay was ordered and they work a treat. Will be adding some LED Bulbs in the puddle lights very soon.

Also I had the rust on the roof fixed yesterday so hopefully next weekend I will be getting the roof, wing mirror covers and boot spoiler wrapped in gloss black.

post-2118-13973075425_thumb.jpg

Will get some pictures on when the wrap has been done.

Won this the other too on eBay. Picked it up last weekend

post-2118-139730805614_thumb.jpg

Plan is to get it powder coated the same colour as the other wheels and swap with a slightly buckled one on the car and to have the other as a full size spare in boot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice ST replica

The black ST alloys really suit the silver car, the stance/height of the car is exellent - spot on for a mk3, in my opinion, same with the wheel size (if its too low, specially at the back, it does not look right, )

The black bits suit it (like the tinted side repeaters) it needs de-tangoed, with the de-tango the headlights might look quite good silver/ stock - keeps it looking subtle - im not sure about the black eyes

I don't like the "dirty diesel" bonnet sticker, spoils the clean lines, IMO, the paul walker tribute is ok, though

Some have removed their rear wiper, might suit your car (giving it a "ceaner" look)

Many have dark-tinted their rear window/ rear door glass - i like how you have not done that, i think the car looks better for it (the dark tint on the back can make it look like a van) if you plan the dark tint, the black eyes might suit it better and maybe a deep, dark sun visor

i hope you are not offended by my comments (some people on here can be a bit "touchy") but its just my opinions- and it may give you some ideas/ or see things from a different perspective

is it a 5 or 6 speed 'box, front EGR / VNT, i take it its a euro3?

Hi foca, thanks for the comments.

No I'm not offended by your comments mate every one has the own taste on things would be boring if we all liked the same stuff.

I don't think I'd remove the rear wiper I use it too much and would definitely miss it if I got rid.

Yeah I've never been a big fan on dark tints, like you said sometimes it can make it look like a van.

It's a 5 speed, EGR is at the front and I think it's a fixed vane turbo.

I've now removed the EGR pipe completely and blanked both ends.

Been looking at your thread build and I have to say it's very impressive, alot of hard work has gone into it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right bit of an update on the mondeo, I've finally had the roof, wing mirror covers and boot lip wrapped in gloss black

post-2118-14012268844_thumb.jpg

post-2118-140122691715_thumb.jpg

post-2118-140122695506_thumb.jpg

Very happy with the results :-)

Also ordered myself a Triple R Composites front splitter which I can't wait to get and fit.

Will be hopefully getting some H&R wheel spacers for the rear over the next couple of weeks, planning on getting 15mm each side as at the moment I think the wheels seem lost in the arches.

Ben that looks fantastic!!, I love the Silver & Black combination looks brilliant!!, your've got me thinking of doing that with mine and am the guy who prefers originallity , if u don't mind was the wrap expensive?

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

Cheers admiral, it cost me £140 for the whole lot done which I thought was really good. He did say after doing it tho that he had under charged on it lol

How long does last? Really love what your've done , might do mine?? Get the wheels darkned etc...

You should go for it mate, I think black and silver goes together really well. I think it lasts about 7 years ( I might have read that somewhere) but I suppose it will all depend on how well you look after the vinyl.

looking vey nice and once you get the splitter on it will look even better

Thanks bazz, can't wait to get the splitter on but have heard they take awhile to arrive so I'll just have to be patient.

Any pics to give us an idea?