Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Pump Fuse

t3stin

Last year the fuel pump fuse on my Mk1 focus would blow every so often, a simple change of the fuse and everything was fine. The fuse is now blowing more and more frequently and even when replacing the fuse if i try to start it back up immediately it just blows that fuse - I have to leave it at least 30 minutes before changing the fuse and starting her up and all is fine.

Obviously this is hugely inconvenient and I have read many of the topics on this subject but to be clear is a new fuel pump my only option?

Thanks

A fuse blows for a reason and simply replacing it every time is not a fix because one time it may not be the fuse that blows but the pump. The fuse should only be replaced once the fault has been found especially with being used with highly flammable liquid.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

So are you saying it is the pump that needs replacing or where would I begin with finding the true fault?

The fuse is there to regulate the draw on power. If it rises above a certain point, the fuse blows. It's a simple way to protect expensive components like fuel pumps. However, the fact that it's blowing so often would suggest that it's trying to draw more power than Ford say it requires. Why is that? Is it partially seized? You'll have to have a look to find out. Is it diesel or petrol?

It's petrol - wouldn't have the first clue where to look so any pointers appreciated?

It's petrol - wouldn't have the first clue where to look so any pointers appreciated?

Sorry buddy, I don't know that much about them. But if you tell me your model, I can try and find something out for you from the Haynes manual.

it's a 2001 1.6 LX

I'm aware there was a recall on them briefly but assume this was never done.

Your fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. To change the fuel pump it is necessary to remove the fuel tank.

Your problem is most likely caused by a defective fuel pump. You could first check the wiring for any damaged insulation or punctures. If the wiring is in good condition your only option is to install a new fuel pump.

stupid question but where do i look for the wiring?

stupid question but where do i look for the wiring?

The wiring for the fuel pump, or the wiring schematic?

Your problem is most likely caused by a defective fuel pump. You could first check the wiring for any damaged insulation or punctures. If the wiring is in good condition your only option is to install a new fuel pump.

The wiring referred to by the above

The fuel pump wiring should be under the rear seat. The wiring loom is routed through a rubber grommet to the fuel tank and connected to the fuel pump/tank sender assembly.

I have seen a few times that the rubber grommet was damaged. This caused the wiring loom to rub against sharp edges and resulted in damage of the wiring insulation.

Sorry, I have no idea where the wiring for the fuel pump is.

Looking at a schematic for a Zetec SE 1999 Focus, the only component between the fuse box and the pump is an inertia switch. I have no idea what it does, but it might be worth having a look at that. Although it looks like a simple switch, so I'd be surprised if that was the issue. Is it Fuse F12 that keeps blowing?

The fuel pump wiring should be under the rear seat. The wiring loom is routed through a rubber grommet to the fuel tank and connected to the fuel pump/tank sender assembly.

I have seen a few times that the rubber grommet was damaged. This caused the wiring loom to rub against sharp edges and resulted in damage of the wiring insulation.

My next guess was a short circuit, so that's possibly what it is.

Thanks guys, may not be able to look into this until the weekend but appreciate the input!

Sorry, I have no idea where the wiring for the fuel pump is.

Looking at a schematic for a Zetec SE 1999 Focus, the only component between the fuse box and the pump is an inertia switch. I have no idea what it does, but it might be worth having a look at that. Although it looks like a simple switch, so I'd be surprised if that was the issue. Is it Fuse F12 that keeps blowing?

The inertia switch is intended to shut off the fuel supply in case of an accident. If an accident occurs the inertia switch is activated and shuts off the power to the fuel pump.

A defective inertia switch results in an open connection of the fuel pump wiring. If this happens the car will not start. The inertia switch has nothing to do with the blown fuel pump fuse.

• 1 month later...

I have been reading your comments and think that it's time that mine went too a garage as it's blown two fuel pump fuses in a week :( .

• 4 years later...

Hi Milty  & co,

I got exakt the same problem. The 15 A fuelpump fuse needs replacement more frequent this month. (Before it was 1 per year x 5 years).

Did you find out if it was the fuel pump, wiring insulation, or something else?

Best regards from Sweden, 

Fredrik

I bid you a warm welcome, but I think you may not receive a reply from a thread that is 4 years old!

Thank you, mighty Ford Focus brother of 2014!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello can you help a brother out? I am so desperate to locate my fuel pump relay because this morning I was driving along the street when my car just suddenly died. Then after minutes of waiting and cranking, my car started and luckily I got it home. My question now is do you know where is the location of the fuel pump relay? I cannot find it in the owner's manual and only I can see is the fuel pump fuse under the glove box 15A(port 111). Btw I'm from the Philippines but I guess we share the same model of the car. Focus mk2.5 2011 MT petrol no check engine light.

Edited by Kelvinpogs
added no cel

8 minutes ago, Kelvinpogs said:

Hello can you help a brother out? I am so desperate to locate my fuel pump relay because this morning I was driving along the street when my car just suddenly died. Then after minutes of waiting and cranking, my car started and luckily I got it home. My question now is do you know where is the location of the fuel pump relay? I cannot find it in the owner's manual and only I can see is the fuel pump fuse under the glove box 15A(port 111). Btw I'm from the Philippines but I guess we share the same model of the car. Focus mk2.5 2011 MT petrol no check engine light.

fuel pump relay fuel pump

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, Kelvinpogs said:

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, Kelvinpogs said:

https://fusesdiagram.com/ford/fuses-and-relay-ford-focus-mk1.html