Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky/creaky Gearstick

ralph

Hi

Had my mk4 for 6 months now and have noticed the gearchange has become very squeaky/ creaky when moving from forwards to back (1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th) and was wondering what to do... have lifted the gaiter surround and squirted white grease on the nylon gear thingy underneath but it only cures it for a day or two then it comes back.

Any thoughts?

You might have to disconnect the linkage completely from the shaft (I've only ever done one on a Focus, years back, and it just pulled out with some force IIRC) and grease the inside where the linkage connects to the shaft.

I'd also recommend you try PTFE lubricant as it doesn't attract dirt like big greasy globs of grease will. You might not even need the linkage disconnected as it comes in a spray (with a straw for getting it into hard-to-reach areas).

Thanks

Have fixed this finally........ All the info on web says to remove gearstick gaiter surround and spray grease on the nylon ball/socket at bottom of stick..... Been doing this regularly but no joy.

Today I looked for the linkages under the bonnet. As they go over the top of the gearbox they are easily accessible from the top, from under the bonnet. A couple of squirts of White Grease has silenced the gearchange and made it silky smooth!!!

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC