Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Private Plates

potter18

Thinking of buying some private plates whats actually involved in the buying process, seen a reg I like and they offer to make up the reg and send me them for an extra 20 quid is that good ? or can I get them made up myself cheaper ? Obviously I'll have to inform my insurer do they charge for the privilege ( admin fee or something) once you get the plates is there an annual fee or something or is it a one off payment? if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it thanks

If you want the plates plastic and standard as they come then yes £20 is a good price for front/back. You have to inform your insurance once you've registered it to your vehicle and received paperwork back (tax disk and v5), you don't have to pay any annual fee, just a fee to remove/transfer it from the vehicle at the end :) hope that helps.

It varies between insurer, some will charge admin fee for re-issuing docs, others won't.

I would suggest you notify your insurer the moment you get the plates changed on your vehicle because if the police see you reg and it not show on the Motor Insurance Database then it could put you in some issues. I work in the insurance industry and see this on a daily bases people not notifying the insurer soon enough and don't want you to get caught. usually the principle is if you documents are located via an online portal the usually an admin fee does not apply but if they physically have to send documents out then admin fees do apply.

"You have to inform your insurance once you've registered it to your vehicle and received paperwork back (tax disk and v5)"

You also don't always pay admin for receiving a paper copy, I'm with sainsburys and got a paper copy with no admin fee. All down to the insurer.

with regards to the admin fee you are right admin fee is down to the insurer but the insurers I deal with follow the principle I mentioned.

DVLA can take a while to register the new vehicle reg so if you change the plate on your car while DVLA are registering the registration to your car then I would recommend you tell the insurer when you change it because the car reg will not match what is on your insurance. it does not matter if DVLA have not registered the registration yet as long as they are in the process

when I did mine I went to the DVLA and got the docs signed and then they advised to change the reg ASAP. my registration was not registered for another month when checking all relevant databases.

Make sure the fee you are paying includes the transfer fee for DVLA, some private companies don't. The DVLA site cost is everything except the physical plates. When you buy them you have up to 12 months to put them on your car and every time you change cars there is a fee to pay to DVLA, currently £85.

I bought my son one for his 21st and have just got daughter one ready for hers in September. They will be pretty much matching,

son is Y21 TPH

daughter Y21 VJH

Just need them to buy me one now, mind you I'll never see 21 again.

I'm pretty certain you can only put the reg on the car once your new tax disk is received ?

You can't go to dvla to do that anymore either unfortunately :( they've closed the offices, has to be sent direct to Swansea now.

When I did mine DVLA still did it at their offices so I got my new tax disc from them when registering .... mine was done in 21/07/2012 so was quite a while ago now

Yehh that's why then :) you can't do that anymore, therefore have to wait around 10 days for your tax disk to arrive then followed shortly by your new v5, you can put the plates on and inform insurance as soon as you receive your new tax disk.

Once you get the V750 new reg doc, you will need to send this along with the current V5C doc and MOT certificate (if applicable), along with a photocopy of your tax disc (but only if you got a new tax disc from a post office within the last 2 weeks - if you got your tax disc online, or more than 2 weeks ago, then no need to send a copy, as dvla will have a record of it already) to the dvla. All these details are on the V750 form when you get it and also on the dvla website.

There is an admin fee to assign the new reg to a car (£80). Depending where you buy the new reg from, some include this fee in the price, others don't.

It will take a couple of weeks for dvla to process the application. Once complete, you will receive a new V5C, Tax Disc and MOT certificate (if applicable), all with the new reg. You should put the new plates on the car and inform your insurance company immediately.

All-in-all a fairly simple and smooth process, just takes a few weeks for dvla to process.

Good old DVLA, close all the local offices and make it more complicated and take longer. Now that's improved customer service!

• Like 1

Also, you get 12 months to assign the reg to a vehicle. You can keep the reg on 'retention' (i.e. not assign it to a vehicle), but there is a yearly cost to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club