Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Replacement Mk4 1.25 Zetec's

oneillchris

Hello all, Any help really appreciated. I have a 2000 fiesta 1.25 zetec'S with 76 thousand miles release bearing is on its way out but im hoping to replace the full clutch. Ive never done a clutch before but I am prity handy and know my way around a car and would like to give it a go myaelf. I would like to know what tools is needed and how hard it would be to do for my first time is it worth givin it a go or not?? We all have to start somewhere any help would be appreciated:-)

its not a difficult job, but if you've never done one before, can be time consuming.

decent set of metric sockets/spanners, along with the usual pliers/cutters/screwdrivers..will also need a torx head socket for bottem ball joint clamp bolts and a decent lever to help seperate the ball joint. a clutch aligning tool

plus large socket to remove drive shaft nuts (think its 30mil)

not to mention a decent trolley jack (one that will lift to a decent, workable height) and axle stands.

there is a shortcut to these boxes, you can remove without disconnecting the driveshafts, but you will probably find it easier to do the full job..as without previous experience you will probably struggle to align the box back to the engine with d/shafts in place.

so best get a manual, read up and prepare yourself and follow it to the letter.

tricky parts for a first timer

disconnecting lower ball joints..they are clamped, so spread the clamp apart with a blunt chisel or similar once bolt is removed, will make it easier (not uncommon for clamp bolt to be siezed in hub too)

disconnecting inner drive shaft joints..use decent length lever to make life easier, dont get too heavy handed with it, its just a matter of popping them out, if they dont release easily, just spin the wheel a bit..easiest way to explain this is that they are held in with a circlip that compresses as you lever against the joint..by turning the wheel slightly between each attempt to disconnect the joint, you may find the point the circlip will compress easier..there are tools available specificly for this if needed

refitting the box to the engine..rule of thumb, get everything lined up straight and box will pop straight in...sounds easier than it can sometimes be..even the experienced fitter can get frustrated trying to put the box back up, pays to take your time to be certain clutch is centralised before attempting to refit box, get that wrong and the box wont go back without major struggle.

may pay to have someone help even if its just to visually check engine/box looks straight as you wiggle it back.

realigning the gear selector clamp..should explain how in the manual, but any problems then can explain how

dont be tempted to change just part of the clutch, change the full kit, go for a known quality make too

if your spanner handy, not a difficult task, will save you a good few quid too

Rachet set sockets 10 to 19 30 or 32 socket for hub nut, set torex for bottom ball joint. big lever bar brake hose clamp preferably clutch aligner extensions long an short , a pick and screwdrivers be also useful definite good hammer

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

every mechanic needs to be armed with a decent hammer :)

• Like 1

I tried to use a clutch alignment tool many moons ago, lost the plot with it and launched it across the drive! I now just do them by eye and so far (touch wood) they have always lined up fine and the box has slotted straight back on.

Each to their own I guess but I wouldn't bother wasting the money on one. If it was a specific splined tool then yes I would.

every mechanic needs to be armed with a decent hammer :)

With an even bigger one on standby!

just thinking would be easier if not done one before..{clutch aligner that is)

plenty of single use aligners available that are cheap as chips

I agree but for piece mind for someone with not much experience as yourself stef it would be useful but I agree some them are bit complicated ha

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

What type of 'universal' clutch alignment tool are we talking about here? I had the tapered plastic type, this is the one I launched. The set I have in the bottom of the box that's never been used looks better, iirc it's a 17 piece kit. Basically a pin with loads of different adapters to suit thrust bearings and clutch disc

used to be able to get the plastic aligners for specific makes, not universal..iirc, the ford just needs a straight piece that fits through the driven plate, so can fashion one from a piece of dowel and insulating tape..

its not vital, like you said, aligning with the eye is straightforward enough...no big deal either way

• Like 1

used to be able to get the plastic aligners for specific makes, not universal..iirc, the ford just needs a straight piece that fits through the driven plate, so can fashion one from a piece of dowel and insulating tape..its not vital, like you said, aligning with the eye is straightforward enough...no big deal either way

The old brush shaft with tape was a favourite on the old mondeos and sierras? Can't say I have ever tried it though

Where can you buy the plastic aligners? I've only ever seen expensive metal ones

tbh, never used them, but remember there was a few hanging up in the spares place i used to deal with years ago...but that was in the day that clutch replacements werent beyond the capabilities of the weekend mechanic..so maybe discontinued.

also remember one of the clutch manufacturers used to have a plasic guide included in their clutch kits, but dont see them any more either.

so apart from the odd one i see hanging on a wall, maybe wrong about 'readily available'

also, you rarely see a 'spigot bearing' clutch these days, so that might explain why you dont see the guides much now...

like you, i tend to use my eyes now, only get the aligner kits to double check if the box doesnt want to play ball and pop back in...9 out of 10, clutch is lined up fine, its just a case of getting the engine/box at the right angles

• Like 1

tbh, never used them, but remember there was a few hanging up in the spares place i used to deal with years ago...but that was in the day that clutch replacements werent beyond the capabilities of the weekend mechanic..so maybe discontinued.also remember one of the clutch manufacturers used to have a plasic guide included in their clutch kits, but dont see them any more either.so apart from the odd one i see hanging on a wall, maybe wrong about 'readily available'also, you rarely see a 'spigot bearing' clutch these days, so that might explain why you dont see the guides much now...like you, i tend to use my eyes now, only get the aligner kits to double check if the box doesnt want to play ball and pop back in...9 out of 10, clutch is lined up fine, its just a case of getting the engine/box at the right angles

The last spigot bearing I come across was on a 94 mx5.

My biggest problem is the weight of some boxes, that and trying to get them in at a silly angle while you are on your back!

i did a clutch on a vito few years back...****** thing nearly killed me :)

Tanks for all your replies an help. Weirdly looking forward to doin the clutch lol:-).. Does Luk clutches sound alri??

Tanks for all your replies an help. Weirdly looking forward to doin the clutch lol:-).. Does Luk clutches sound alri??

it is good fun the first time, they can be frustrating though so dont worry if things dont go exactly to plan.

Yep LuK will be fine

Tanks for the help folks. Sound stef:-). If I run into any difficulties il be back on here..