Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will My Hids Fault An Mot?

ashleymount95

My mot Is on Friday and iv heard that my 8000k hids will fail it is this correct?:s

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

In short - Any aftermarket HID's will fail - Unless:

1) They have auto levelling

2) They have washer or wiper control

There is something else that can affect it, but I forget what it is at the moment...

That's what I fort but when I got the car they was all ready fitted and had passed so I'm just a little unshore!:L I guess I just have to see how it go's!

They probably replaced with standards to get through the MOT

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

I would recommend, at least for the MOT have them changed for standards otherwise it will be recorded as reason for failure. If you refit after they fail and you get stopped you can't claim you was unaware of them being illegal.

Hid is illegal fact ( and they blind people and used by inconsiderate people imo just don't be a ##### and buy xenons ) MOT is a different question, they can only test for what's fitted. If the washers are fitted and not working it's a fail, if not fitted it can't be tested. Most likely to fail on not being level.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Well if they don't pass what would you suggest on me getting?:) they need to be white?:s

This is a common misconception about hid headlamps , if you look at the relevant part of the manual here , you will see the wording shows you can't fail them for not having washers and auto leveling fitted , only for not working if they are fitted !

• Like 1

Proper xenon lamps if you want the look. Or some better more expensive bulbs like the Philips or osram ones.

This is a common misconception about hid headlamps , if you look at the relevant part of the manual here , you will see the wording shows you can't fail them for not having washers and auto leveling fitted , only for not working if they are fitted !

Excellent result there FordTech, I don't fully understand how the news gets out there that its illegal when its in black and white from April last year!

So HID's are not illegal and cannot be failed by any party?

From what I read, there's a difference between VOSA and DFT on this. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-safety-standards-information-sheets states that selling or using hid kits to convert standard headlamps to hid is illegal and that you must change the headlamps too.

To save loads of typing I'll just refer to High Intensity Discharge, Gas Discharge, Xenon Discharge lights all as "HIDs".

Cars fitted with HIDs failing/not failing an MOT test is as correctly stated by FordTech (thumbs up) currently governed by the rules in the April 2013 MOT Testers Inspection Manual and any subsequent amendments; I can't find any MOT 'Special Notice' updates relating to HIDs, but I don't have access to an online MOT work station.

However, the UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (and subsequent amendments) govern what lights/reflectors are permitted for use and they do not mention HID lights, thus HIDs are illegal to use on U.K. roads UNLESS the vehicle has EU type approval to use HID lights AND has the correct 'E' marked light units and bulbs. This apparant contradiction is because the U.K. can not refuse to register a vehicle that has EU type approval (including those fitted with HIDs).

Therefore to legally use HID lights in the U.K. :-

1. The vehicle must have EU type approval for the use of HIDs (ECE Regulation 48).
  2. The light units and bulbs must bear the 'E' mark approval code (ECE Regulation 98).

Most aftermarket HID light kits are not 'E' marked and on that basis are illegal irrespective of whether the vehicle has EU type approval for HIDs or not; i.e. no 'E' mark and they're illegal.

As an example a 1966 Ford 105E Anglia with HIDs is illegal (no EU type approval for HIDs) whereas a 2009 Ford Focus ST with HIDs (has EU type approval for HIDs) is legal.
However, retro-fitting HIDs without the self-leveling unit and headlamp washers could be classed as illegal as the EU type approval would only be regarded as being valid if all the components (as present when EU type approval was granted) are fitted. You may also have to be wary about to which sub-model you're applying the retro-fit; e.g. a 2009 Ford Focus ST/Titanium/Zetec all had HIDs as an extra cost option (i.e. vehicle WITH EU type approval for HIDs) whereas HIDs were not available as an extra cost option (i.e. vehicle WITHOUT EU type approval for HIDs) on the 2009 Ford Focus Studio and Style.

If the HID bulb is not 'E' marked then unless the marking/lack of marking is visible WITHOUT any disassembly then an RFR (Reason For Rejection) can not be issued by the MOT tester; currently no dismantling by the MOT tester is permitted (this of course may change; e.g. regarding method of checking for the presence of a Diesel Particulate Filter (but that's an entirely different bucket of soot :D)).

Note that it's not the DVSA (via the MOT test) that currently enforce the legality of HID lights, it is the Police/Courts via the UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (and subsequent amendments). Which gives rise to the potential situation of leaving an MOT testing station with a valid VT20 'Pass' receipt and then immediately get booked for using a vehicle on a public highway that does not comply with the UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (and subsequent amendments) by a Police officer strolling past the exit to the MOT testing station.

Important

• I am not a lawyer and the above is purely my interpretation of the regulations whilst thinking about how a court could potentially view the situation.
  • In short you'll be the one taking the risk; which could also include being un-insured as insurance companies seem to use any excuse not to provide cover (there's usually a clause somewhere about "using a vehicle in an un-roadworthy condition unless being conveyed to an approved vehicle testing/repair station").

Here are the links to the relevant documents (for those with severe bouts of insomnia) :-

• Like 3

nice write up there Rob,

The problem is interpretation! technically, the MOT station does not have the right to refuse it if the vehicle is (as you say) EU approved and using an EU approved option, however, the fact that it might not have auto levelling and washing capabilities, it just sounds too much like the testers decision at the end of the day?

• Like 1

We'll it's in for mot now so I let you know the outcome!:)

We'll the hids have passed as well as the fly eye kit!:)

Still won't save you from a disgruntled copper.

Yes true but haven't been pulled yet so hopefully they nice and stay away from me!

Are you using projector type headlamps or halogen reflective headlamps?

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

I'm pretty sure they just the standard ones I first got with the car!:L

• 1 month later...

To save loads of typing I'll just refer to High Intensity Discharge, Gas Discharge, Xenon Discharge lights all as "HIDs".

Cars fitted with HIDs failing/not failing an MOT test is as correctly stated by FordTech (thumbs up) currently governed by the rules in the April 2013 MOT Testers Inspection Manual and any subsequent amendments; I can't find any MOT 'Special Notice' updates relating to HIDs, but I don't have access to an online MOT work station.

However, the UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (and subsequent amendments) govern what lights/reflectors are permitted for use and they do not mention HID lights, thus HIDs are illegal to use on U.K. roads UNLESS the vehicle has EU type approval to use HID lights AND has the correct 'E' marked light units and bulbs. This apparant contradiction is because the U.K. can not refuse to register a vehicle that has EU type approval (including those fitted with HIDs).

Therefore to legally use HID lights in the U.K. :-

• The vehicle must have EU type approval for the use of HIDs (ECE Regulation 48).
  • The light units and bulbs must bear the 'E' mark approval code (ECE Regulation 98).
Most aftermarket HID light kits are not 'E' marked and on that basis are illegal irrespective of whether the vehicle has EU type approval for HIDs or not; i.e. no 'E' mark and they're illegal.

As an example a 1966 Ford 105E Anglia with HIDs is illegal (no EU type approval for HIDs) whereas a 2009 Ford Focus ST with HIDs (has EU type approval for HIDs) is legal.

However, retro-fitting HIDs without the self-leveling unit and headlamp washers could be classed as illegal as the EU type approval would only be regarded as being valid if all the components (as present when EU type approval was granted) are fitted. You may also have to be wary about to which sub-model you're applying the retro-fit; e.g. a 2009 Ford Focus ST/Titanium/Zetec all had HIDs as an extra cost option (i.e. vehicle WITH EU type approval for HIDs) whereas HIDs were not available as an extra cost option (i.e. vehicle WITHOUT EU type approval for HIDs) on the 2009 Ford Focus Studio and Style.

If the HID bulb is not 'E' marked then unless the marking/lack of marking is visible WITHOUT any disassembly then an RFR (Reason For Rejection) can not be issued by the MOT tester; currently no dismantling by the MOT tester is permitted (this of course may change; e.g. regarding method of checking for the presence of a Diesel Particulate Filter (but that's an entirely different bucket of soot :D)).

Note that it's not the DVSA (via the MOT test) that currently enforce the legality of HID lights, it is the Police/Courts via the UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (and subsequent amendments). Which gives rise to the potential situation of leaving an MOT testing station with a valid VT20 'Pass' receipt and then immediately get booked for using a vehicle on a public highway that does not comply with the UK Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (and subsequent amendments) by a Police officer strolling past the exit to the MOT testing station.

Important

• I am not a lawyer and the above is purely my interpretation of the regulations whilst thinking about how a court could potentially view the situation.
  • In short you'll be the one taking the risk; which could also include being un-insured as insurance companies seem to use any excuse not to provide cover (there's usually a clause somewhere about "using a vehicle in an un-roadworthy condition unless being conveyed to an approved vehicle testing/repair station").
Here are the links to the relevant documents (for those with severe bouts of insomnia) :-

Hi mate. Would I get away with HIDs on a 2010 fiesta s1600? Would it pass mot?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

That's what car iv got and mine have passed 4 years in a row now!:) so yer it should pass!:)

Cool, thanks for helping :-)

Also, should I get a 35w kit or spend an extra tenner on a 55w kit how do they compare legally? I'm looking at HIDs4U

What ever hids you get they are illegal but iv never been pulled for them!:) If you are going to get some tho don't go for cheap ones you get what you pay for!:)

Awesome, thanks mate

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club