Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Feels Like Its Constantly With Clutch Pressed

Godnessy

Hi,

I have a 2001 Ford modeo estate 1.8 MK3

and earlier i had a problem where the car would give 2-3 shivers when i pressed the gas over 2000 rpm, that problem went away and was replaced immidiatly with another one

now when i press the gas the REV counter goes up but the car hardly gets any power delivered to the wheels, it does get some but a very tiny bit.

it feels like im pressing the clutch half way all the time, when i get up to speed its a little better but still the rev counter goes crazy...

any ideas? thank you!

How many miles since the clutch was replaced.

Have you tested to see if the clutch is slipping?

I have no idea when the clutch was last replaced, and i did not check to see, is that a simple test to do by yourself?

Various ways you can check. Pulling away up a steep hill, pulling away in 2nd gear, trying to slowly lunge with the handbrake on, trying 5th gear at 30.

Just make sure you are aware and prepared around you in case the car does something unexpected.

in which case the solution is replacing the clutch correct?

or is there anything else involved?

The only other thing is you might want to check the condition of the DMF, as if that's not long for this world you don't want to be paying out another set of labour costs six months from now - may as well get it done at the same time as the clutch.

I just put the car in the workshop, they told me about the DMF and said its a very expensive part (6000 kr = 600 pound)

and i cant efford that the change of clutch itself is 1000 pound and that with the DMF is almost what i paid for the car

so i dont know if i should just sell the car and cut my loses...

what do you guys think?

If the DMF is on its way out, it is a waste only getting the clutch done.

Most people get the DMF and clutch done the same time, especially if mileage is high. It should be cheaper than £1600 for both being done though. The idea of getting both done at the same time is to save on 90% of the labour cost. i.e. you only need to pay for the part of the DMF, while everything is apart for the clutch.

It depends whether you got the car at a really good price for what it is, and if getting the work done will let the car give you it's moneys worth. Getting a new car could bring its own problems...

Was there even a DMF fitted in 2001? Is it petrol or diesel?

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

The garage says there is one

and this is petrol

It sounds like they're trying to rip you off, surely it shouldn't cost more to fit a clutch than a dmf? Maybe try somewhere else to see how much they charge?

no no, i live in norway, these are the prices in norway... 100 pound an hour for work and parts are insane.

they think all norwegian people are rich but not everybody is but the prices are the same for people who have audi and people who have an old ford.

i have a family member who said he can do the work hope it works out

I meant if the dmf is 600 the clutch should be cheaper than this as the dmf is the more expensive part

think she means 1k to supply/fit clutch, extra 600 to supply/fit DMF...

i know its pricey in Norway compared to UK, but £600 still seems expensive for a replacement DMF..did one on a 1.8 about 6 months ago, sure it was under £300

Exactly and most the labour shouldn't count as the gearbox etc will already be off for the clutch replacement.

It's very rare for the DMF to need replacing on the petrol versions. The diesel you always have to change it with the clutch. As others have stated once the gearbox is off of the engine to do the clutch it's only 30 mins work to change the DMF. The 1.8 petrol is about five hours labour for the clutch and the parts are readily available.

the parts are available but like i said an hour work here in norway is 100 pound

and the person in the garage told me (i tend to trust them because they are a very big chain and in norway it is VERY important for such big chains to remain on positive terms and have trust from the public) that 9 out of 10 cases the DMF needs changing but now i hear that its rare...

for the clutch kit they want 212 pound (with tax which is 25% in norway)

for the head cylinder 137 pound

work comes out to 620 pound

and for the DMF part only 580 pound

but i have contact a cousin which works with cars and he said he can do the work

and hopefully the price will be alot lower and i trust him to tell me if the DMF needs changing or not and if it does i will

get a used one from sweden where parts are more then half price.

ill keep you guys posted if youd like.

thank you for all the help so far!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club