Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 Advice Please!a

ZetecShearer1987

Hi all

I am looking to get my local garage to fully service my car in the next few weeks, and i was looking to supply the oil for them to use as i like to know whats gone in the car.

I am looking to try some Shell helix ultra on this service as it seems to get decent reviews (though its still just an oil) i have used Castrol magnatec the last time.

Anyway a couple of things, firstly which is the correct type of Shell helix ultra to use, on the Shell oil match this comes up... Shell Helix Ultra AF 5w-30 though when i search for this oil, it seems really hard to find this oil and even when i do the price is up around £50 for 5 litres.

I have seen shell helix ultra extra 5w-30 is this ok in the focus and if so which one.

Any help would be great.

i had my ford service and ford now use Shell helix af ive had no issues with it its cheaper from ford i believe

Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF-L 5W-30:

• Is
    designed to meet the demanding requirements of particular
    high-performance engines, including Ford, Jaguar and Mazda, and those
    requiring ACEA C1
  • Shell and Ford have local relationships in many countries, and Shell is a major supplier to Ford in India and the USA
  • Passes an extensive range of performance tests to meet engine oil specification WSSM2C934-B

Specifications: Ford WSS-M2C934-B; ACEA C1. Meets the requirements of Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5005.

any of these are for ford

Premium

Helix Ultra AF 5W-30

Standard Helix Ultra Professional AF 5W-30

Value Helix HX7 Professional AF 5W-30

I've been using this stuff in my 1.6, ford specific - exceeds ford specs. Runs smooth, used no oil in the 5 months or so its been in.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2010/p/car-parts/car-lubricants-and-car-fluids/lubricant-and-fluids/engineoil/?521772511&1&c1a439b27db7e81e14a23da95cc4b91263dfd738&000398

4 litres I found was the perfect amount for an oil change (even though capacity is 4.1 litres - there is always residual oil left in the engine) and there was a small amount left over if I needed a little top up

if you chuck in a Mann filter and use the discount code MOT30 it comes out at £21.75

I was looking at that petronas oil, probably because its slapped all over the mercedes f1 team car.

are any of these oils better that magnatec or should i just stick with that stuff

Who really knows what's better as last long as the meet/exceed ford specs then whatever you are comfortable with, that might be price, brand, colour of the bottle etc. (Petronas syntium is in a gold bottle that's got to mean it's good right?) Hey if its coz the brand is plastered all over your favourite F1 car then that's cool too.

true, might go with some pertronas stuff then, if its good enough for lewis hamilton then its good enough for my 1.6 focus, funily enough the same size engine as the current f1 cars, minus 2 cylinders and around 700bhp less.

• Like 1

I use the Magnetec when its on offer buy a couple of 4 litres at a time from euro car parts, Its £20 a time. Good stuff change the oil every 6 months with filter. No problems at all.

daz

i have just seen the Shell helix ultra listed on amazon but its a very vague listing, it looks the correct oil, but can anyone confirm this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GSO8GRG?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=idealocouk-21#productDetails

its only £26 for the ultra type which seems a great price.

Looks like the stuff to me and sold by amazon too rather than a reseller

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

well looking around the next best price is £40 plus, seems the real deal as its the af 5w-30 which Shell lubematch states, just got cold feet with the lack of pictures and description and reviews

Never thought of looking on amazon for oil, the petronas syntium is only 18.71 for 4L too, 23 for 5L. Will deffo check them next time I do a change.

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

i got some Castrol magnatec last octoberish 4 litres for around £16, shocked how cheap they were.

• 6 years later...

I have just bought an 11 year old Volvo C30 2.4i that has had many oils in its lifetime. Shell recommended to change to Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5w-30 and do more frequent oil changes until the oil becomes cleaner.  I have bought 20 litres and intend to do 3 x 5.8l oil changes over 12 months. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The oil was changed to Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5w-30 on Wednesday.  

I was immediately impressed as was the workshop tech. 

He noticed the change when taking the car off the hoist, I, from first start, to drive home.

When cold It spins over faster on the starter and the idle speed is lower. The warm up is quicker and when the engine is warm, performance is brisker. 

It is a different car to drive. 

On Friday I checked the oil and the lever is within the recommended range, the dipstick is cleaner, almost all the dark stain is gone.

2 hours ago, OldVolvo said:

The oil was changed to Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5w-30 on Wednesday.  

I was immediately impressed as was the workshop tech. 

He noticed the change when taking the car off the hoist, I, from first start, to drive home.

When cold It spins over faster on the starter and the idle speed is lower. The warm up is quicker and when the engine is warm, performance is brisker. 

It is a different car to drive. 

On Friday I checked the oil and the lever is within the recommended range, the dipstick is cleaner, almost all the dark stain is gone.

Most cars do that after an oil change!!

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 4:13 PM, VFR800 said:

Most cars do that after an oil change!!

Thank you for your reply.  

In this situation it was far more/better that previously experienced.

My next "wow" moment was after a 4-wheel alignment, everyone should get one of those! 

• 1 year later...

I have completed the 3 month and 6 month services, the 12 month service is due in February so it is time to buy the second 20 liter drum of Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5w-30.
The drum arrived on Monday and I am sharing it with my Computer Tech as he has two Ford Focus Sedans in his family and Shell recommend the same oil for those.

I'm bemused that people hold so much store into a certain 'brand' of oil. I change oil at suggested service intervals, and just use the 'spec' recommended for the engine. Obviously I shop around for the cheapest available, and in 40 years, have never had an engine suffer because I didn't use an expensive brand.

I can understand engines needing something special if you are racing on track days, or if you are heavily endowed with money, but for any standard road car, the manufacturer will ensure it will work to tolerance using the correct grade, no matter how much is spent on advertising it...

My current top up oil - bought from Asda. Right place right time for reduction as they were clearing out as the pony tailed marketing folk had ordered the packaging being revamped LOL

1585772535_focusoil.thumb.jpg.f322eb7970dfbfc6bd2fa1dd0035dcb7.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

My current top up oil - bought from Asda. Right place right time for reduction as they were clearing out as the pony tailed marketing folk had ordered the packaging being revamped LOL

1585772535_focusoil.thumb.jpg.f322eb7970dfbfc6bd2fa1dd0035dcb7.jpg

Dare you to stick that in a 1.0 EcoBoost! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Dare you to stick that in a 1.0 EcoBoost! :biggrin: 

If it took 10w-40, I wouldn't hesitate LOL

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Dare you to stick that in a 1.0 EcoBoost!

I'd do it just for the fun of it 🤣

Not mine of course but then I'm not likely to own one 😉

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club