Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Navman Qube Tracking Device

happyben

hi guys,

My new purchase appears to have a tracker fitted. It must be an ex fleet car (not previous owner...)

This device is active and sending out signals.

Does anyone know if I can just disconnect the main plugs and the aerial and pull the main unit out without causing any problems with the vehicle?? Or do I need to trace all wiring through and fully remove the unit??

Not the most electrical savvy, so would appreciate the help.

Really don't like the idea of someone being able to track me......even if they aren't ;-)

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

To be honest, I would say keep it!

Contact the previous owner for the tracking details and the tracking provider. Then, contact the tracking agency and ask them if they can change something at their side (like moving a mobile number) they should be able to change it over so that you keep the tracker and get the benefit of the reduced insurance premiums!

I agree keep it!, wouldn't it bring your insurance costs down? As they do ask when you get quotes have u got a tracking device

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

I will find out from my insurance if its worth doing. .....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

My new purchase appears to have a tracker fitted. It must be an ex fleet car (not previous owner...)

Do you know if it is a 'Tracker' (TM, etc), or something else? They work by a completely different mechanism. some of the devices may be able to track you, but the original Tracker device effectively can't (well, it sort of can, but you have to report a theft to the police and then they have to send out a couple of patrol cars with the appropriate equipment fitted and they don't really get a 'and car 12345 is doing 71 mph down the M1' kind of message, if that's what concerns you...and, if you report a theft, and the car hasn't been stolen, you'll get Johnny Plod on your tail for wasting the Police's time).

This device is active and sending out signals...Not the most electrical savvy

Given part two, I have to ask how you know point one; it is quite a subtle point, and I'm not sure that there is an easy way for anyone without a spectrum analyser to be sure (for a Tracker, TM, device).

Is the inference of the title that this is a Navman Qube, and not a 'Tracker' device? I missed this.

Edited by BOF

I looked the device up on google....thats where I got the 'tracker' from.

I had a small problem tonight where the car wouldn't start and drained the battery....I am only driving 2 miles to work and back and was wondering if the drain from this unit wouod be enough if there wasn't a decent charge getting back into the system......not sure what the drain is so may disconnect it to see.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

post-52499-139569482351_thumb.jpg

post-52499-13956948397_thumb.jpg

The reason that the term 'Tracker' is a bit problematic is that there is company called Tracker and their products are legitimately called 'a Tracker'; everything else is 'a tracking device', so that difference is quite subtle. And the Tracker devices work differently from all the other 'A Tracking Devices', so it isn't just an academic concern.

Anyway, that device isn't a Tracker.

I am only driving 2 miles to work and back

Err, apart from the fact that the engine will never get warm, which won't be good for it, and that you might not be able to keep the battery charged, even without this device, I'd have to say it shouldn't be making that big a difference. That is, I think you'd quite possibly have a problem anyway, but that's only a guess.

Note: the website software is !Removed! up for reasons that I don't understand. It keeps replacing ' with " for no reason that I can determine, and deleting the quote box, so the appearance of this post may be flawed.

Edited by BOF

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club