Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound Deadening

InKontrol

Afternoon all,

Has anyone undertaken the process of adding sound deadening to their car? If so what material did you use?

I'm looking at blocking out ambient noise, rather than improve the sound quality of the audio system.

The back doors on mine feel tinny and are light, so I'd imagine that's a good place to start.

For me every KG counts so nothing that'll add 20-30KG to the car's weight, because that's more fuel spent in propelling it forward!!

Thanks

Hi

This is what i used for my spare wheel well (where the subwoofer sits) (factory fit)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=rattlematt&_frs=1

I have also used it under the back seats but have not ventured anywhere else yet

Its cheap enough and does the trick

It does however smell for a while until it hardens

Jamie

Ive used the same stuff it does help but youre also better putting more foam under the carpet and putting the matting under the rear seat and in the boot as for the doors theres not much that nakes a big difference yiu could put the mat behind the door card

After looking at the procedure for removing the door card and regulator in the Hayne's manual it seems to be more hassle than it's worth. I suppose I could start at the 'easy' places first, .e.g under the rear seat as mentioned, spare wheel well etc etc. Are those rattlemats worth it? They seem a little cheap for what you get! :)

They do help on the boot and the rear seat area dynamat is better but way more expensive and spray stuff takes ages to dry

you could do what i did for the back of the rear seat and use two layers then its thicker than dynamat

Jamie

you could do what i did for the back of the rear seat and use two layers then its thicker than dynamat

Jamie

Did you put yours under the rear seat bench? I'm just wondering how the layer of thickness will affect the bench's ability to sit flat.

its not that thick and its under the carpet under the bench :-)

I put two layers on the seat back under its carpet :-)

Jamie

Apparently that Rattlemat stuff is a scam and the seller is actually selling strips of Flashing Tape from screwfix lol.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flashing-tape-100mm-x-10m/94496

There have been threads saying it's exactly the same stuff! So if you are going to buy it, buy the Flashing Tape because you'll get even more for your money ;)

• Like 1

Great to hear what others have done for sound deadening to their car. This is what I am planning to get soon for fitting during the summer time: Silent Coat. Apparently as good as Dynamat but slightly less expensive.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent-coat-extra-bulk-pack

Thanks for all the help. So far it seems that under the rear seat bench is a good place to start, and I came across this on the interwebs... Seems to be well priced for what it is, although it may be a bit too thin.

The Silent Coat you mentioned does come in 4mm thickness as well and I have the link up in my previous post. From what I read online, it would be as effective as Dynamat. £89 for the bulk pack which would cover a hatchback completely.

I'm not sure if I want to cover the entire car yet so I might get a sheet or two and try it out on the back bench, which I think will be the best place to start as it doesn't involve ripping the car to pieces. It's not because I'm not confident in stripping the car out, it's just the cost of tools to do so, and time, and parents that wag the finger and say "what are you doing now?!" :)

I get what you mean there. Worth a shot getting a small amount to try to see the difference. My issue is different as I live in Ireland and the weather is not great most of the time. I have no access to a covered space for a weekend to strip the car and fit the Silent Coat.

Anyone got a spare space that I could borrow for the weekend? :P

I have never had a problem with it

Jamie

I've contemplated the rear doors and decided to go ahead and try them out. Can I get away with just removing the door trim panel, instead of having to remove the entire window regulator? (manual winding windows).

To do it effectively you want to stategically place the stuff so the boot under the rear seat and behind the glovebox on the exposed fire wall is a good start

So just the area behind the glovebox? I don't believe in ripping an entire dash out to soundproof the firewall. Boot should be nice and easy, just lift out all of the gubbings and apply it to bare metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Pretty much no need to take a whole dash out

I fitted sound insulation plates inside the door panels. Basically I fitted the sound insulation plate to improve the sound of the audio system (which is a lot better now) but it also reduces some driving noises.

Now I am planning to insulate the tailgate, wheelarches, all pillars and firewall as well.

I use 25 mm thick Merford Merfocell PU sound absorbing plates. These plates are self adhesive and have a protective foil which is water and oil resistant.

Soundinsulation_zps03988038.jpg

Expanding foam!!! Fill the whole car with it lol

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I'm back again! The warranty on the car runs out in about 2 months so I'm planning on doing it after that. How much do you reckon I'd need if I'm going to do a small piece of the firewall, boot and all four doors? Still not sure about covering the entire floor under the carpet to be honest but we'll see...

Depending on the cost I'll go for either the 2mm Silent Coat or the 4mm Silent Coat Extra...

• 2 months later...

I am still waiting for funds and weather to allow sound proofing my car. Found this online which I thought was a bit less for the amount you get and it being branded etc. Thought others might be interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynamat-DYN10648-Super-Lite-Bulk-Pak-12-Sheets-48-sqft-457-x-812mm-SuperLite-/291158799593?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item43ca6ab4e9

Still on the fence myself of either getting 4mm Silent Coat or the above Dynamat.