Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop/start Engine Zetec S Ecoboost

Greenhouse28

Hi all,

Just wondering if all the 1.0L 125Bhp Zetec S's come with the Stop/Start technology?

And what this actually does as I was looking on the Ford site and you can't configure a Fiesta Zetec S without it anymore?

Thanks!

Stop start is designed to cut emissions and save fuel

I'm sure they all do & it cuts the engine when idle & not in gear to save fuel

There is a wonderful button which turns the s/s off , below the heating controls, you have to turn it off each time engine is started though

Is this feature a help or does it get annoying?

I ordered a Zetec S without really looking at one so I'm still finding out loads of the little things which come with it :)

I only use it for those really long traffic lights or roadworks lights where your stationary for 2 mins or more, but I don't even think about it anymore, start the engine, press the button and drive off, becomes a habbit. annoying in my opinion

I don't have the Zetec S, but the Zetec, and up until yesterday I had never used the stop/start I must admit. I have just gotten into the habit of pressing the button and also locking my doors when I get in the car. We have a closed road where I am and it's causing long hold-ups in my morning commute to work, so I have started using it and I must admit, it's quite good ! Like Clarky2013, i'll just use mine if i'm going to be sat still for a while. This is the first car I have had that has had this, so I suppose it's just getting used to it now that's the thing.

It should save quite a bit of fuel if there is a lot of stop/start traffic on your journeys. I read somewhere that an engine idling for more than 10 seconds or so uses more fuel than it would take to start it up again, but that's just for engines without s/s. I think s/s engines are different, with a better starter motor etc.

Does the ST have start/stop?

• Like 1

If you look at the mpg display sat in traffic once the engine is warm it reads 0.1 gallons an hour..

When s/s kicks in and stops the engine, obviously this drops to zero..

When you're ready for moving off again and you press the clutch the mpg display read 0.2 gallons an hour for about 1.5 seconds. So if that's actually accurate start stop will see you a fairly decent saving over a year. Especially if you use it wisely at longer waits.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

I use it at long waits. But it just uses the conventional starter motor. Have starter motors come a long way in modern tech? Don't want to wear it out over two or three years..

Was at some roadworks lights the other day and it worked but then the engine restarted this was at around 4.30-5 so temp outside would have been around 10c and the wait wasnt toooo bad.

Although my previous car had start stop and I dont think once did it restart itself without me putting it back in to gear.

Mines a Tit X 100 not that that matters :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

It does that if the charge in the battery is lower than the car would like it to be.

What happens to the air con when you've stopped like this? Surely the compressor is run directly from the engine?

It does that if the charge in the battery is lower than the car would like it to be.

What happens to the air con when you've stopped like this? Surely the compressor is run directly from the engine?

Good question. This is a key part of stop start technology it maintains all your normal devices to continue iys function, radio stays on ac stays on headlights etc...

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

The stop start motor is different to the normal one as is the battery, I have seen the differences on ecat/microcat.

The engine will also turn itself back on if auxiliaries need power like the A/C, etc.

The SS will also turn itself on if you roll forward from stopped down a slope, for instance. Mine will happily SS with all the lights on, and you can use the A/C button to S&S the engine when stationary. There's a lot of linked-in control software.

Thanks for the replies all!

Seems like its something to have a little play with, can't complain with an extra gadget!

Probably won't be using it much myself as my commute to work consists of 3 miles pure national speed limit country lanes! Another reason I decided to upgrade to a ZS :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ford OC mobile app

I didn't know that anyone took the car out of gear when stopped at lights, in traffic etc.anymore. It seems that most drivers sit with the clutch depressed, 1st gear selected and their foot on the brake pedal. Even driving school cars with students seems to do this, I often see these cars creeeping forward at traffic lights.

What happened to stop,apply handbake, select neutral.

I always take my car out of gear, sometimes before I have completely stopped, lol. Saves wear on the release bearings.

Don't always apply the handbrake tho and will use foot brake, especially if I'm the back of the queue.

• Like 1

I always take my car out of gear, sometimes before I have completely stopped, lol. Saves wear on the release bearings.

Don't always apply the handbrake tho and will use foot brake, especially if I'm the back of the queue.

I was told not to use foot brake as the heat in the pads when slowing down can cause the front discs to warp.

I was told not to use foot brake as the heat in the pads when slowing down can cause the front discs to warp.

So how do you stop then? For the sale of some 60 pound discs I'd rather stop properly.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

So how do you stop then? For the sale of some 60 pound discs I'd rather stop properly.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Lol....... What I meant to say was when stood still instead of using the hand brake.

:D

1.0 125 Zetec S on order!