Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With Lights Please!

M4RC

Finally got a new relay and leds, just giving them a test just now and they don't seem to be Turning off? The relay says it has a 20 second overrun but they've been on for a good 10 mins.

I should also mention that these leds wouldn't run of the battery current so I had to add a small 9v battery in series to get them to work.

Relay:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Light-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Relay-Harness-Automatic-Control-Switch-/191070632753?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c7cb27b31

LEDS:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-70mm-White-81LED-COB-Car-Headlight-Angel-Eyes-Halo-Ring-Light-Universal-/231134130446?pt=UK_Home_Children_Lighting&hash=item35d0aaf10e

post-48575-0-67403700-1395688088_thumb.j

• Like 1

Wow,,,,, I've just bought a relay and mine was nearly £18 lol. I'd say it's a faulty relay. I'm having trouble with mine, and a replacement should be with me tomorrow, mine also has the 20 second delay, but mine choose when they want to come on, hence the reason for a new relay. If yours aren't turning off, I'd say the relay is deffo faulty, and the little box of tricks should know when your engine is on, and when it's off.

Wow,,,,, I've just bought a relay and mine was nearly £18 lol. I'd say it's a faulty relay. I'm having trouble with mine, and a replacement should be with me tomorrow, mine also has the 20 second delay, but mine choose when they want to come on, hence the reason for a new relay. If yours aren't turning off, I'd say the relay is deffo faulty, and the little box of tricks should know when your engine is on, and when it's off.

Yeah, could be. This is the replacement relay as the first one was faulty :(. The LEDS I've got don't get enough current from the battery so I've added a 9v battery in series to get them running so it could be that? The relay must detect the voltage going up hence they come on and then when the engine goes off the voltage drops and they should swith off after the 20 seconds. So I'm just wondering if it's not in the voltage range

??? What led's have you got that won't work with 12v ??? Didn't even think that was possible,,, and YES I think the addition of another battery is definitely the cause of your problems. Really baffled at what led's your running ?

??? What led's have you got that won't work with 12v ??? Didn't even think that was possible,,, and YES I think the addition of another battery is definitely the cause of your problems. Really baffled at what led's your running ?

It's not the fact that the leds wouldn't run of 12v it's the constant current drivers that need a higher voltage/current for them to work (without these they would brighter/dim all the time)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-70mm-White-81LED-COB-Car-Headlight-Angel-Eyes-Halo-Ring-Light-Universal-/231134130446?pt=UK_Home_Children_Lighting&hash=item35d0aaf10e

I'm not sure I understand you. A 12v led strip/ring etc, should work fine with the relay you've bought. Mine are sealed units (profile pic) and I went down the route of cutting into my bumper to fit them. My relay in principle is the same as yours, except I wired in the white wire also. This dims the drl's when you put your headlights on. Works fine on mine, well, when it wants to work it does what it should. Hopingmy replacement arrives tomorrow.

I know it should but the Leds use a thing called a constant current driver which requires a little higher voltage than 12v so I've boosted the voltage up slightly using a battery. Also I will be connecting the white wire so they dim, was just giving them a test.

Ah nice

Are you referring to ALL led lights using constant current drivers or just the ones you have ? As every set I've had, if connected direct to the battery, light up like a Christmas tree without problem ?

Are you referring to ALL led lights using constant current drivers or just the ones you have ? As every set I've had, if connected direct to the battery, light up like a Christmas tree without problem ?

Just these leds I have, most don't have them

Ahh, then maybe they are your problem then,,,, there is a place on eBay based in this country, doing the 70mm rings, 21led I think,,,, they only had blue when I enquired, but said white was due today, and they were only about £8.... Maybe sort your problem out ?

Ahh, then maybe they are your problem then,,,, there is a place on eBay based in this country, doing the 70mm rings, 21led I think,,,, they only had blue when I enquired, but said white was due today, and they were only about £8.... Maybe sort your problem out ?

Shouldn't be as the only difference is the relay is running of a higher voltage. Are thy ring like the picture above eg like a full glow all the way round not just the kinda dotted style?

I'd imagine dotted style with only 21 led's, BUT they are SMD LED'S, so once lit I doubt you'd notice any gaps.

Soo I'm having a go again but still the same problem, I've pretty much ruled out that it not because of the higher voltage, I've took of the current steadiers so it doesn't require the slightly higher voltage but my relay doesn't work of the 12.6/13.2v battery voltage so I've added a little 1.5v battery in and it works but there just not going off :(. Faulty relay?

If you connect the lights directly to the battery, do they light up ???

And i'm still having problems with mine too, got my replacement relay, but still not working properly. So sending them back, and just waiting on another one i've ordered to arrive. Mine aren't staying on like yours, mine are having trouble staying on. They come on when I start the car, but quite often switch themselves off again in a short space of time. The relay relies on the current boost when the engine is started making the power output 14.4v approx. Then when engine switched off again, they should go off, as the standard 12v returns.

If you connect the lights directly to the battery, do they light up ???

No they don't but I've added a small 1.5v battery to boost it up slightly and it works just doesn't turn off

I'd say it's your lights then mate, just put my new relay on, and now they are working as they should, all good. The relay needs more than 12v to turn them on, then when you turn off your cars power drops back to 12v again, triggering them to turn off,,, if you've added a battery, then your relay isn't registering a drop in voltage and thinks the engine is still running ???

Ok I finally fitted my drl's today and they look amazing. I bought cheap relay on eBay for £5 which apparently didn't need connecting to main light to turn off. Just detected change in current. But the drl didn't turn off. I tested all this before even removing my lights making sure all works. To test pull the left connector that goes into back of the left headlights out. Stick the white cable end into the front of no.1 hole. Connect relay to one led drl light. Then connect to battery. Turn engine on drl should be on. Turn lights on drl should turn off.

I bought these off eBay which work perfectly.

55036a80ba8a0f0 (item number) this is the relay.

330778415158. (Item number) This is the led lights drl's.

Firstly I removed my lights. Which gave access to the rear of the front fog lights. I used a star drive no.20 to remove the top star screw. This let me pull the fog light back just so I could slip the drl in through the top. Never had to fully remove fog lights also didn't remove the washer bottle thing. The drl are now squashe between the front fog light hole and the fog light it self. I connected the relay to the lights. (Had to cut ends of relay and lights and twist the connection together.) used electrical tape to cover the joining. Then I took the connector which goes to back of the headlights and found The wire that goes into NO.1. I put the wire carefully into a snap lock and put the white wire from the relay into the other side of the snap lock. Got some pliers pressed down hard and closed it off. I then connected relay up to the battery points and retested everything and now looks awesome.

I had to put dab of super glue at bottom of the drl which made contact with f

Og light casing to stop them moving around. Did the trick perfectly. When it comes to mot. The relay comes with a fuse. I will just pull that which stops them working and put back in after mot. Hope this helps as I was in the same boat as you but i found it to

Be my relay. I know these 2 I bought work perfectly. :)

Ok I finally fitted my drl's today and they look amazing. I bought cheap relay on ebay for £5 which apparently didn't need connecting to main light to turn off. Just detected change in current. But the drl didn't turn off. I tested all this before even removing my lights making sure all works. To test pull the left connector that goes into back of the left headlights out. Stick the white cable end into the front of no.1 hole. Connect relay to one led drl light. Then connect to battery. Turn engine on drl should be on. Turn lights on drl should turn off.

I bought these off ebay which work perfectly.

55036a80ba8a0f0 (item number) this is the relay.

330778415158. (Item number) This is the led lights drl's.

Firstly I removed my lights. Which gave access to the rear of the front fog lights. I used a star drive no.20 to remove the top star screw. This let me pull the fog light back just so I could slip the drl in through the top. Never had to fully remove fog lights also didn't remove the washer bottle thing. The drl are now squashe between the front fog light hole and the fog light it self. I connected the relay to the lights. (Had to cut ends of relay and lights and twist the connection together.) used electrical tape to cover the joining. Then I took the connector which goes to back of the headlights and found The wire that goes into NO.1. I put the wire carefully into a snap lock and put the white wire from the relay into the other side of the snap lock. Got some pliers pressed down hard and closed it off. I then connected relay up to the battery points and retested everything and now looks awesome.

I had to put dab of super glue at bottom of the drl which made contact with f

So at first they did not turn off but now they do?

Yes. I assumed it was the cheap crappy Chinese relay I bought. Any way I can vouch that these two items def work. And if they don't on your car then something else is wrong, and it takes 20secs for drl to fully turn off. After engine is off.

My car I have is a 59plate frozen white zetec s fiesta mk7. Hope I have helped you