Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 - St Vs 1.0T Ecoboost Realistic Motorway Mpg?

gasket

ive had my zetec s for 7 months now and have already done 10000 miles due to having to do 600 motorway miles most weekends.

from a full tank i can get between 460-500 with completely motorway miles, im no good with mpg so work that out for yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I have had my Zetec S for over a year now and evan tho its really good on fuel ive gone for an ST evan tho im going to be worse off on fuel but i couldnt help myself as soon as I test drove the ST i just had to have it, its definitely worth paying the little bit extra on fuel believe me the ST is an insane machine

A recent trip to a friend about 120 mile each way with motorway driving around 70 to 80 and a lot of urban roads saw me return a mileage of 42 to the gallon. I usually do 15-20 mile trips 8 to 10 times a week mainly on country roads. There, my consumption is still over 40 mpg, but I know others get a bit less, around 35-40 as they tend to drive in a more exciting manner. Thats with my ST-2, standard configuration.

Where's wesmst2 when u want him, lol ?

Doesn't his run on air and get 3000000000 mpg?

On a more serious note get around the mid 30's driving around town with a lead foot, better on motorways or country roads up to the mid 40's at times

Real-world average mpg is so dependent on actual driving conditions. Even when you talk about cruising on the motorway, people see different mpg figures, due to driving style and traffic conditions.

If you were to take a stab at average figures for the two, say something around 35mpg for the ST and somewhere around 50mpg for the ZS, then over 9,000 miles that is around £40 difference per month - Depending on your thoughts around what would be an "acceptable" increase in cost, then you may or may not consider it to be worth it.

However, reading between the lines on what you have said, I get the impression that you would actually really prefer the ST, but you just need the figures to "make sense" before you take the plunge - On that basis, £40 a month isn't that much really!

Doesn't his run on air and get 3000000000 mpg?

:lol:

My ST has returned 43mpg on a spirited run to work which involves m25 and A3 my ecoboost prior to the ST did 49 small price to pay.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks guys - now sorted.

Some really helpful posts there really appreciate it. From the above posts and reading other threads I've taken 45mpg for the 1.0T Zetec S and 35mpg for the ST.

This gives (for my particular circumstances) the following costs:

1.0T Zetec S:

3+36 PCP £176.34 a month

Insurance £51.32 a month

Fuel cost £86.38 a month (10k mpa, 45mpg, £1.29/litre)

Total = £314.04

1.6T ST:

3+36 PCP £225.82 a month

Insurance £53.27 a month

Fuel cost £111 a month (10k mpa, 35mpg, £1.29/litre)

Total = £390.15 (just £76.10 more than the 1.0T Zetec-S)

I had promised myself that if I could run an ST for within £75 a month of the cost of running a 1.0T then I could justify it and lo-and-behold the ST has just about sneaked in under.

Its the insurance that saved it as the difference between the two is minimal - I'm an old man but still live in an iffy postcode.

So... its an ST for me! Ridiculously excited, gonna ring my lease broker tomorrow. Just need to check on delivery times for a bog standard solid-red ST with no extras.

If you cruise at 60 - 65, not too bothered about too much over taking and take it wasy; I had 56mpg average going to the lakes and back from Manchester (80 miles there and 80 back) in the ST. If you're going to do much higher you're probably looking at 40's, 30's at 90 (which I don't recommend >.<)

I'm a firm believer in "Its not what you drive, its how you drive it". Drive with a lead foot all the time and you'll get &#33;Removed&#33; poor fuel economy out of both. Do you really want to buy an ST just to drive around all day feathering the throttle to save fuel? If so why not buy a golf bluemotion. If fuel isn't the be all and end all, then go for the ST as its the better car to drive.

Like I said before, I think you really wanted the ST anyway. So looks like you got the figures to where you wanted them to be to go for the ST. Your insurance quotes being so similar really do help!

(P.S. Don't forget the road tax - that's £125 for the ST, so another £10 extra pm).

1.0 125 Zetec S on order!

Thanks Matt.

Your previous post was absolutely on the nose – my preference of the two would have been the ST but only if the numbers could add up. I had set myself a limit and if it went oveer that I would have stuck with the 1.0T (and would have been very happy with it).

A few months ago I had a hire car from Enterprise and, never having heard of the Ecoboost range, when they gave me a “little 1-litre Fiesta” I’m ashamed to say I kicked up a fuss – until I drove it. It was a Zetec-S and it absolutely blew me away with its performance from such a small package.

Having sold my other car, I’m ready for a change but am being extremely strict with myself re: budget. The Zetec-S is a truly fantastic car, but if I can run the (in my mind) ‘perfect ST’ for just £75 a month more then that’s the one I’ll go for. If it had been any more I would have stuck with the 1.0T.

The insurance is a real oddity - its cheaper for me to insure an ST than just about any other car on the market (except for the 1.0T) - bizarrely its the same as insurance on an old Corsa D 1.2 I had as a runaround.

I'm 30 but live in a high-risk postcode so I guess that there is such a heavy weighting on the postcode that the differene between a 123bhp car and a 178 one is neglegable.

Am speaking to the agents today to start the order process – hopefully the waiting time won’t be too long!

Thanks again for all your help.

:)

Fingers crossed for a short wait... The waiting is absolutely the worst bit of getting a new car - I have 2 new cars on order at the moment, and the waiting is killing me!

• Like 1

I hate waitin I orded 8th and it seems like yonks ago lol

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Ford OC mobile app

Had my ST for 2 weeks now

Havent really blasted it, then again cant as the motorway is normally crawling

32 miles to work of which about 19 on m42 first tank of petrol gave me 420 odd miles at just over 42mpg

Had my ST for 2 weeks now

Havent really blasted it, then again cant as the motorway is normally crawling

32 miles to work of which about 19 on m42 first tank of petrol gave me 420 odd miles at just over 42mpg

That's not too shabby :)

Sounds like you need to get it out for a weekend blast though! :driving:

Your right been away both weekends since ive had it

Good man, get the ST it's a small price to pay really, much better seats and the car doesn't fall over when you turn the wheel . You'll be pleased with your choice.

Good man, get the ST it's a small price to pay really, much better seats and the car doesn't fall over when you turn the wheel . You'll be pleased with your choice.

Fall over when you turn the wheel ? If your implying at the other car "zetec s", then have you never heard of stabilisers ? Got a fresh set on mine

Fall over when you turn the wheel ? If your implying at the other car "zetec s", then have you never heard of stabilisers ? Got a fresh set on mine

Haha! I love the banter on this forum.

• Like 2

Haha! I love the banter on this forum.

Yeah, makes me smile too! :D

1.0 125 Zetec S on order!

You got them colour coded L.E.D's on em as well mate or just the overlays? :P

You got them colour coded L.E.D's on em as well mate or just the overlays? :P

Both :p

Amazing how different this topic is when compared with The Ordering an ST-3 Questions one. all just light hearted banter here

That's because most of ST owners accept that other cars have their plus points as well. I loved my ZS although it was the MK7 1.6 not the new 1.0l one but I would be think the new one is still a great car. I just wanted an ST no other reasons and not to score any points over anyone.

However I didn't buy the ST for its fuel economy, what would be the point of that? Having said that I am pleasantly surprised that I get mid 30's out of mine. I drive 15 miles to work most of it motorway, although the M62/M621 is hardly fast moving either morning or evening. Rest of the time I have a pretty heavy right foot

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club