Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is It Crankshaft? Dilemma?? Damsel In Distress

mogsy03

I am in a in a bit of dilemma here, I have a ford focus zetec 2003, 100.000 miles . Its MOT in November, no apparent problems. Last 2 months I had the red light intermittently coming on, then the car appeared to be driving a bit ropey when it has always been a smooth ride and no especially when changing gear. Yesterday morning the yellow light came on which states I need to take it to a garage, took it this morning and the guy revved the engine which did make a bit of knocking noise in the background, he said the crankshaft had gone and I shouldn't drive it, as it would go at anytime. Would this be a way of determining the crankshaft just by revving it??? If it is the case is it worth getting a recon engine. Before this, it was an amazing car, and the garage I normally took it for MOT always said you've got a lovely car there, which isn't the same place I took it to this morning, as I needed somewhere close and this garage was recommended. I'm at a loss as to whether to get a recon engine or do you not think that's worth it.... cash is not in abundance, and if I had to get another car obviously it would have to be second-hand and I'm scared of being ripped off. It seems a shame that a quality car of its time which I was fortunate to acquire at a good price 4 years ago is dying....Any advice is so welcome, as I need a car quickly either this repaired via finding someone who can put a recon engine in or another as I have to make sure I can get to my daughter should anything happen, she has a medical condition.

Thank you kindly for reading this.

Moira - Huddersfield West Yorks

Its petrol Greg, it doesn't actually make a lot of noise while driving, just doesn't sound right and and not a smooth drive. (Did hear a loud almost banging knock like something had broken a couple of weeks ago, thought it was a car passing but now I don't think it was, it didn't make any further noises until the guy revved it today with the engine bonnet up. No knocking noises when driving... I did notice in idle after warmed up, it sounded to be making a little pinking noise, hardly noticeable, you know what your own car sounds like and instinctively know when the sounds are slightly different. cheers.

the red light you saw intermittently, was it the oil pressure light (pic of an oil can)

if so, then its likely the knocking can be caused by the big ends/crankshaft, which you should be able to diagnose just by revving engine, its quite a distinctive 'rattle'

if this is the case, then yes, recon or 2nd hand engine is cheapest fix..still expensive though

as for continuing with driving, its a risk as engine can sieze, but can sometimes be driven carefully for short journeys if necessary so long as oil/water levels are good...though wouldnt reccommend it

Thanks Tony,

It wasn't the oil light, it was the brake light, bottom right hand corner, it was the first thing I checked. Yes, I think its the best option and agreeably not cheap, but cheaper than buying a slight more expensive car, and never knowing what lies beneath, better the devil you know so to speak. Whats the best way of going about getting a recon, or 2nd hand engine. I can search if I know where and possibly organise a garage to fit it, is that the best way to go about it.... grateful for your feedback...

if it wasnt the oil light, then you maybe better off getting a 2nd opinion before condemning the engine.

not saying it cant be damaged, but seems weird your not getting oil light, not getting knocking when driving, but running poorly...without hearing the noise, could just as easily be the knock sensor failed (which in turn can cause loss of power and pinking)

would have the codes checked and get 2nd opinion

I don't think it's the crank shaft it would be knocking like !Removed! while ur driving if it was! I would take it to ford and get an expert opinion! More expensive than taking it to the closest garage but if it isn't the engine then u will save a lot of money

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Like you say, if on high rev, which the guy did this morning it definitely was a loud rattling or knocking cant remember, as when he condemned it on the spot, I went into shock. Wonder why he didn't offer to do a diagnostics check? He wasn a young lad, been in the business for years and he wasn't touting for business, just said with the mileage its about the time that this sort of thing would happen. It seemed cut and dried which why I was so shocked, but I'm no expert, and yet not so naïve (I don't think lol)..

100k miles is not a lot mate that's what ford recommend that cam belt to be changed. And with the oil ligh not comming on he oil pressure would be fine. It would have damaged the main bearings on the crankshaft I would go for a second opinion as I find it very hard to believe

Wanted to avoid our Ford garage (sorry to say), as a friend had a lot of bother with them with not being straight with her. Cant go into detail but eventually it was proven she was right. Good advice all the same and thank you I'll take it all on board.

as said before, its a distinctive noise, he could be right, but dont like the method of testing or the spiel given.

why would you rev the **** off on an engine when all you have gone in with is the fact the yellow light flagged...first port of call for this is to plug in a diagnostic to view the code, not rev the hell out of it.

100k miles on a modern engine is nothing, so talking nonsense to even suggest its due for serious problem

he maybe correct in his diagnosis, but i'd be very wary and highly recommend getting a 2nd opinion

cam belt was replaced just before I got it, unless my ex was fibbing. as he said he did it himself

There are plenty of ford garages just take it to a different one. But befor u decide to swop the engine, I would get May more people to look at it for you as there are lots of things that could be causing that noise! Some much cheaper than others! It could be a cheap fix.

doesnt necessarily need to be ford, go to another independent garage...go in and ask for car to be checked as light was flagging and running poor...dont mention anything about previous diagnosis, they'll work it out for themselves if its correct

Yeh I would! I mean if the oil light hasn't been on the chances are the engine isn't damaged in such a serious way as that! It could be as simple as the timing for ur engine is out. Let us know how you get on good luck!

thanks guys I will try and get the nearest garage to do a diagnostics check and I will report back. If its gotta go I'll shall be so so upset, probably wont get anywhere till Friday on my non work day. Thank you all so much .

If the crank was scragged the best way to diagnose would be to check the oil for metal particles and remove the sump for a visual check.

Revving an engine with a possible knackered crank/bearings/big end etc is plain stupid.

It's like cutting your arm off to check your blood pressure.

Definitely find a second opinion.

2nd opinion its rare for the focus to have crankshaft to have gone and again the method used to come to this conclusion is suspect to say the least the most convincing touts are the ones who appear genuine

Thanks again for further comments, taken on board, off at 12 with daughters friend following me to the garage to get a second opinion, will report back asap.

Hi All,

Update: Phew! Didnt mention anything about crankshaft until after diagnosis. Did the diagnostic.... misfiring on no.2 (coilpack I think Paul said) plus the query I raised in November at my normal MOT garage near my workplace which I had decided that I wouldnt be going back to in the future) which was that near the clutch pedal on the floor I had noticed a slight light coloured grease spot on the protective plastic matting that I have down over my car mat, and asked them to see if anything was wrong, they said there was nothing, straight-away I pointed it out to Paul & Dave today and straightaway noticed there was a leak on the clutch fluid. Just to reassure myself, I said that someone had told me that my crankshaft had gone and told them how they came to this assumption. 'Is there a chance I said that this could be a problem, well they both roared with laughter, and said, firstly as Dave said if that was the case I would have been hearing loud knockings as I drove in and while your car was sat there idling chatting and I would certainly would have known about it. Also mentioned something similar to one of your comments it being very unusual in this car and something else. I am so grateful for all of your input, it was the best thing I could have done is come onto Ford Forums and I cant thank you enough, as I could have been gone down the route of organising another engine to go it, which I can ill afford, but would have gone that route. I will wait with bated breath that they dont come back with anything further as I still think I am reeling in shock at the condemnation of my car in so few minutes. Until that car is driven back to my home with the normal lovely drive it gives me I shan't rest, even though I know I should...I'll keep this open until the car is sat outside my door if that is ok.

sounds like they're looking after you properly, which is what you should expect wherever you go...unfortunately, not always the case.

hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction

Please name and shame the first garage. I think its quite disgusting how these people will con the unsuspecting public. You did the right thing questioning what they had told you

How or who do I name and shame to, Trading Standards? Thanks G, B, and W again for your feedback

tbh, i wouldnt bother unless you have something in writing, such as a report or an estimate from the first garage, without that, you only have word of mouth so nothing can be done or proved.

just avoid them in the future.