Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tank Size

gingertom

Hi All

Whats the fuel tank capacity in an ST

I thought that all petrol models was 42 litres but I managed to get 45.27 litres in mine when I filled it up yesterday

That's probably because 42 is just the tank and not over filled including the filler neck.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Pretty certain it is 42 litres - Just checked on Parkers and that lists it as 42 litres. don't forget, there will be a little extra with the filler tube, but if you got 45 litres in it, it must have been totally empty and you must have brimmed it!

Most cars have a few litres remaining in the tank when the gauge shows empty, so is rare to be able to fill up with the full amount.

Was it a respectable garage you used?

I was thinking the same, if its saying its pumping a lot more than the car can physically hold then it maybe faulty and over charging you.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

I think I will try a different garage next time see what the difference is. The gauge was saying about 29 miles left when I filled it up

• 2 weeks later...

Update

When I got to the garage the remaining miles was showing 0.

Managed to get 48.38 litres (10.66 gallons) in trip was reading 423 miles (39.68 mpg) avg mpg reading was 40.5

I think 6.38 litres over tank capacity is a lot so maybe pumps are dispensing incorrectly. Think I will try a gallon in a petrol can and measure it in the wifes cooking jug!!

The latest brochure states that normal petrol Fiestas are 42, Diesels are 40.5 & ST's are 48 hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi Chris

Thanks for that that sounds like ive got the 48 litre tank then

No worries, but will that have a reserve limit?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

normally a car has a tiny reserve ie enough fuel in the lines and the neck is enough to cover maybe 4 litres so thats where it could have gone but mines only a 42 tank and i can get 44 45 in easy no over fill and thats at any garage i use, i tend to do 370 miles to a tank depending on how ive driven that is

Think I will try a gallon in a petrol can and measure it in the wifes cooking jug!!

Your wifes cooking jug holds 1 gallon?! You could make a lot of gravy in that. mmmmm gravy :P

I too wondered when I first got my ST what the tank size was as it always took more than the 42 it's meant to. I use the same filling station as I did in my Zetec-S which did have a 42 litre tank so I worked out from that it must be bigger. Guessed at 50 litres so if it's now officially listed at 48 that makes sense.

I wonder why the ST one is bigger though? And where did they find the extra space lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club