Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes, Bit Of Travel ?

catch

Right had my [new to me] Mk 2.5 Titanium, and liking it, especially the keyless entry /starting.

Now first thing I noticed was when you hit the brake pedal, theres a bit of travel in it before the brakes come, but when they do, they are keen. Now on my Mk2 [ engineering wise same car as the Mk 2.5] when touching the brake pedal brakeing was immediate, verying by the amount of pressure applied.

Anybody else with a Mk 2.5 experiance this? or are your brakes like I described my Mk 2 brakes. Had it over to my mechanic. he give it a run and said it seemed fine. Thogh he said his brakes on his Passat behaved like mine. He said because in the course of his work he is in and out of alot of cars, he thought mine was not unusual. I still don't think its right.

Anyway I'm going over to his garage tommorow, getting it serviced, all wheels off brakes inspected and cleaned, test brake fluid water contamination, may bleed. I like to check any car I buy brakes wise along with a service, so I feel safe belting down to Cornwall in May.

I orded some front flaps off eBay [genuine Ford] £22.95 Monday, arrived yesterday fitted them today. Seem to be £35 inclusive of the postage everywhere else. Must say I'd advise anybody to buy front mud flaps for the Mk 2.5. Same as with the Mk 2, and even though Ford fit under sill and front of wing bottom protectors, 06 plate onwards. Mud just clogs the bottom eight inch of the wing , trapped between in whell arch protector and wing return lip.

And whilst its in for those jobs, I'll give it a good undersealing on the under sills, where they are welded to the chassis.

Any comments regards the brake pedal travel welcome

Do you have rear drums now where you had discs on your previous car?

The brake fluid could probably do with a change now anyway and I am with you on mud flaps for the Focus. The proper Ford ones are a must.

I don't think the brake pedal on my Focus was solid and must have had a tiny bit of travel, but I cant say it was anything different to any other car I have driven.

Do you have rear drums now where you had discs on your previous car?

Both the Mk2 and Mk2.5 1.6 petrol have rear drum brakes

The brake fluid could probably do with a change now anyway and I am with you on mud flaps for the Focus. The proper Ford ones are a must.

I don't think the brake pedal on my Focus was solid and must have had a tiny bit of travel, but I cant say it was anything different to any other car I have driven.

Got to say, I've never had the brake fluid changed all the time I've had my motors. Well going back to 1995, that I'm sure of, 9.5 years Mondeo [10 year old], 4 years Mk1 Focus which again was ten years old when it was written off [not a brakes issue :rolleyes: ] 9 months on a 5 year old Volvo. And 4.5 years of Mk2 Focus [8.5 year old]

My mechanic says he only changes brake fluid if he has problems with a cars brakes, when all other aspects of the braking system is OK. Obviously if I want the brake fluid changing, he will do it, I mean its work after all and thats how he makes his living. So I may be pumping pedal tomorrow ;)

He is not there to take brass of people on jobs he reckons don't need doing, a rare find in the garage trade IMHO

The brake fluid is highly hygroscopic fluid (absorbs water) and hence it needs to be changed every two years.

The brake fluid is highly hygroscopic fluid *absorbs water) and hence it needs to be changed every two years.

Just had it serviced, my mechanic and I gave it a real good look over. Plus had the wheels off to check the brakes, and rotate the wheels. Both the Coolant was check for antifreeze strength, and the brake fluid was checked for water content. Green > OK, Amber > some water contamination, Red > needs brake fluid changing immediately. It came up Green, Coolant -35 strength, two handy little tools he has there.

To be honest I have only had the car since Monday afternoon, and since driving it home I had done less than 20 miles in it. And I must admit I'm adapting to the slight travel in the brake pedal. It was not a case of the brakes being "spoungie" My mechanic was right as usual. But he reiterated, if I want the fluid changing at a later date he will do it, he just reckons it want alter the set up as is.

When the better weather comes, I'll be borowing one of his ramps, as I've lashed out £8.25 on a 1lt of underseal, going to underseal where the sills are welded to the chassis, leaving a water run off for any water that may get between the plastic undersill protectors and the actual sills. And also the metal cross section arrangement that the rear springs are attached to, that has no underseal on it. Neither had the Mk2, and it tends to rust on the welds of the box section, it's doing the same on this Mk2.5.

I doubt it actually weakens the integrity of the vehicle, but I'm a great believer in eradicating rust at every oppertunity. As in my youth rust killed you car long before the engines gave out....old habits die hard as they say. So I'll wire brush the affect areas, treat with rust converter, and then give it a good undersealing.

He he this thread got me paranoid about my brake pedal travel. I have been performing near emergency stops for the last few days:lol:

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

Each car seems to be set up differently in my experience.

After getting used to the rear drums (and considerable pedal travel) on my Fiesta, when I got my Focus (with discs all round) I nearly stuck myself through the windscreen, lol.

Both my parents cars have discs all round though and they have more travel than mine. When I drive my mums I feel like I'm not going to stop before the white line at a junction, I really have to force myself to push the pedal harder. My Dad's car has bigger brakes than mine and when I drove it, I had to sit closer to the pedals than I would like just because my brain was so used to how and where to push the brake pedal from mine.

Thanks lads for the collective input, now whilst I have never had reason to doubt my mechanics advice. After consulting the collective "Font of Wisdom" gathered here on these forums I feel like I can now move on...............................Mud flaps fitted, Stainless Steel Sill Protectors enroute...........................

next port of call higgsy's up grade thread...................liking the DRL's and the lighting mods to match same, upgraded heater dials..... :)

Just seen my Mk2 Zetec advertised http://www.styrin.co.uk/used-cars/ford-focus-1-6-zetec-5dr-climate-pack-leeds-201403242760042

I like this bit

"Metallic Silver Blue, This Is A Stunning Car Which Has Been Very Well Cared For By its Previous Owners !!!"

It just went straight on the forecourt the day I collected my Mk2.5...........I spent three hours on it before I dropped it off, the engine sparkled.....................it had served me well and I wanted to give it a good send off..........could'nt have it not looking it's best now could I.....................Wife thought I was nuts............Women what do they know about boys and their motors eh. :rolleyes: