Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio Upgrade

ed12

I felt like the stock radio needed an upgrade, upgraded to the Sony 6-CD when I bought the car but put this off for 18 months because I had a feeling it would be a nightmare! I had an urge to buy a touch screen, and this is how its gone... Not happy with the results and I'm a shed load of cash under (enough to buy 19" RS alloys), any suggestions will be appreciated before I smash the :censored: :censored: thing into a million pieces. Really wish I had left the thing alone currently and I really do not fancy fabricating the piece myself. The stupid piece of rubbish fitting kit I ordered also came with the wrong aerial adapter, which is a minor thing in itself, but nearly threw me over the edge! Every single fascia adapter has been slightly off, the cage supplied is also useless.

Sony

5fi9.jpg

Wires and fascia (Anger level 0)
jihb.jpg

The first set of ugly fascias (Anger level 2, I'll order a new fascia and sort it)

wh21.jpg

New centre console, fascia doesn't even fit. (Anger level 5, Something is going to get broken)

gmfk.jpg

Lets make it fit.

0g66.jpg

9odo.jpg

79ff.jpg

Realisation the radio has stayed the same size. (Anger level 7 now)
f00l.jpg

Attempt to cover the horrible thing with carbon wrap, not successful. (Anger level off scale, lock car and go inside for a cup of tea)

nxxl.jpg

Any suggestions guys? Before I end up ripping it all out and shoving it on eBay? I enjoyed the DAB and bluetooth for a few days.

mate i have been through the same thing when i upgraded from an oval unitl to a pioneer dab 3500 unit. i still have my fascia and trim and you can have it if you want (just cover the postage cost - £5?). i can send you pics of it but it does have a few marks.

gone back to the oval stereo now!

i thought the cage didnt fit well either and wasnt happy no matter how many times i adjusted it to fit. plus theres neverenough space behind for the wires to tuck in. BTW, i must have used 2 or cages to be happy to a point. sold the damn thing now.

itll be worth it in the end :-)

Can you upload some photos? Did it fit well or like mine? I also lost a screw behind the centre console, never seeing that again lol I managed to tuck the cables in after shredding the skin on my hands!

i'll take some and get back to you.

Can you upload some photos? Did it fit well or like mine? I also lost a screw behind the centre console, never seeing that again lol I managed to tuck the cables in after shredding the skin on my hands!

Was it one of the two screws from the radio fascia or one for fixing the radio cage?

One of the screws that holds the locking plate between radio and cage. Can't use the screws from fascia with extended fascia so the thing hangs and rattles about. Might get some Velcro, the screw is well lost lol

If you pull off the kick panels the screw may drop through.

Best of luck with it. Just remember, once you get it properly fitted, you will never have to do it ever again and the quality of the music will be vastly improved :)

I hope so! I just don't get why people sell fascias and cages specifically for my motor, yet nothing actually fits.

Hi mate apologies for the delay.

Here are pics as promised

post-28472-139603414559_thumb.jpg

post-28472-139603418034_thumb.jpg

the way I would do it may be a bit extreme but I would say if done right would look the best, I would cut the silver fascia to match the radio surround glue it in, fill in the gap around, progressively sand back until its smooth and then spray paint it silver to match.

As said it is the extreme but I hate it if something doesn't look factory or has gaps of different colours around, will take a bit longer but as said it would be the way I choose as looking at the pics above it isn't going to fit as standard with the provided adaptors.

The current plan is to bolt the cage in from either side of the dash (controlling the depth and angle fully that way). Will be ripping apart and assessing tomorrow. Also to measure the gap and fill where required, finish with a matte grey wrap.

Hi mate apologies for the delay.
Here are pics as promised

Sal, no worries about the delay mate. That looks like it'll come in handy, really appreciate it :) PayPal good for you?

Eonon 5162 buddy straight swap looks great and oem :)

When i changed my stereo ( the same as yours ) i got the full kit, cage, facia, the whole lot.

the cage did not fit, it is sat at my feet now. but i did use the facia, this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Facia-Fascia-Panel-Stereo-Surround-Adaptor-Radio-Trim-Double-Din-/160977642340?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257b03e364

i too had a lot of work to do to get it to fit flush but it did in the end.

a lot of work and the result looks ok, not brilliant but ok. ( think the cheap carbon wrap let mine down. )

got pics somwhere, i will dig them out and post them.

Aftermarket radio cages do tend to be too deep for s Focus dash as the bracket at the back sticks out.

You're best off getting one with a V shaped rear end or getting a pair of tin snips and cutting a suitable chunk out of a standard shaped cage.

With my aftermarket cage the fins to secure the cage weren't big enough and the cage always remained loose. There was no way of securing it properly

See with Eonon it was a straight swap it's nice and secure took a bit to fit all the extra gadgets but looks great.

See with Eonon it was a straight swap it's nice and secure took a bit to fit all the extra gadgets but looks great.

Am in the process of deciding which Eonon to get, so many gadgets! :D

I got the D5162 it's great I love it really want to fit the 3G connection so can go on the internet :)

I got the D5162 it's great I love it really want to fit the 3G connection so can go on the internet :)

Yeah, thats the one i've been looking at.

Can i ask, what does it look like when the ignition is off? does it look quite standard? does it blend well when the ignition is off?

Does it look good when everything is on? or does it look a bit tacky?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club