Do Not Sell My Personal Information

White Smoke

Preferredmysierra

Hi all.

I'm stumped and really need your help and advice regarding a fair bit of white smoke coming out the exhaust until the coolant temp reaches around 60oC.

Now I know this would usually be water, but I'm not loosing any coolant at all! ...Nor am I losing oil or have any mayo under the oil filler cap. Equally there's no oil in the coolant reservoir either.

No loss of power. Starts and drives fine too, it's just an embarrassing amount of smoke/vapour that almost filled the car park at work yesterday!

I always warm up the car before I drive it, and it hasn't overheated before.

So, I put it to you great people for your suggestions...

Many thanks in advance!

Sounds like water in the exhaust to me, but filling a car park with it?

You do lots of short journeys, or use low grade fuel maybe?

Does it smell at all?

I commute down the A30 (70mph dual carriageway mostly) about 23 miles each way, and always warm up the car first. I initially thought condensation in the exhaust, but this is just too much!! Ha

I use the generic 98 octane. Never been a problem before. This smoke has become progressively worse (more of it) over the past few weeks when it started, but as I said, no other symptoms to allow diagnosis!

Thanks for your reply bud

Hi Mick,

It's a 1998 2.0 16v petrol. 140k, but I've owned since around 97k and, as I said, always warm it up before driving it, and do keep a close eye on the levels etc.

I purchased the car from a close friend and it was a motability car for him previously, so had a full service history which I kept up myself.

I'm seriously starting to think it's the valve stems now. It's seems to add up doesn't it???

Also was advised to engine brake down hill (I used 3rd gear at 35mph) then accelerate at the bottom and watch for smoke (the engine was warm at this point, so normal looking at idle and revved at standstill) and there was a noticeable puff of white/blue tinted smoke.

Thanks for your reply Mick. Much appreciated! If you need any more info let me know.

Right white smoke is water blue is oil when u say coolant level don't drop when was last time u had top up coolant an when was last time u changed ur oil have u preformed compression test wet an dry give u indication of engine wear any lights on dash when last time had fuel filter

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Could be running a bit rich and the cat is converting more unburnt fuel to steam. It may need a service with some new plugs thrown in.

I replaced all of the coolant around 3 to 4 years ago when I bought the car, and haven't had to top it up since, which is what makes it confusing even now?

No lights on the dash and no diagnostic fault codes on the engine. Last service was around 4000 miles ago (8-10 months), but I couldn't change the fuel filter at the time because of being unable to access it! (Any tips?)

I haven't got the tools to do a compression test but there is certainly no loss of power!

Thanks again for your ideas guys!

Ur filter in front fuel tank I think quarter drive ratchet extension an 8 an couple angled picks if needed for clips firstly replace that fill ur tank a through bottle diptane in an let us know how u get on wit that where u buying ur fuel

It's a 6.5mm to undo the retaining clip, but there's no way to access it as the bolt is at the top of the filter, meaning no space to get any tools in! 😫

Usually get fuel from Sainsburys.

U take hole thing out still in bracket 2 8s long extension quarter drive then when it's out u remove filter from bracket

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club