Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocks And Bumps Heard In The Back (?)

hardyhardy

Hi everyone, Ive noticed on my Mk3 it seems to sound like theres something knocking/bumping from the back, but there is no junk in the back to make that sound, totally empty boot, spare is tightened down etc, a little clue maybe is that it sounds when I go over bumps! Car runs lovely otherwise.

Ive waqggled the exhaust about to rule that out, but now Im a bit miffed what else to look for, can anyone offer any advice please?

CHeers for now

Hi mine rattles all the time over bumps I've changed rear suspension drop links, roll bar bushes and other bushes and it still knocks now he thinks rear subframe and bushes so I would suggest check all bushes etc thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Cheers for that matt, yes it sounds a likely culprit, will see if I can get it on a ramp over the weekend and have a look

I had the same with a Mk 3 I used to own. It was the boot lid. I adjusted the catch to get rid of the play in it. Took ages to find it was that.

• Like 1

I had the same with a Mk 3 I used to own. It was the boot lid. I adjusted the catch to get rid of the play in it. Took ages to find it was that.

Ha would never have thought of that one! How did you narrow it down to that then? What should I look out for?

Cheers for now

Hi mine rattles all the time over bumps I've changed rear suspension drop links, roll bar bushes and other bushes and it still knocks now he thinks rear subframe and bushes so I would suggest check all bushes etc thanks

Hi again, yes on the old MOT is an advisory for the drop links, and as Im not a skilled mechanic what sort of money is it to have the drop links sorted? Even roughly? (Just want to get a figure so I know if Im being conned!)

Better yet, if the bushes - when checked - need replacing, again what will I expect to pay? Ive heard that the subframe bushes is pretty much an all day job, but cant be sure of what Ive heard!

Cheers for now!

Check the heatshield is in tact. On mine, the bit above the middle exhaust section was totally rotten, and the holes where it's screwed in were so big it just dropped off over the screwheads/washers, causing it to knock on top of the exhaust.

The other thing I've learn from long experience with cars, is that knocking sounds aren't always coming from where you think they're coming from.

rear subframe bushes can range from 24 a set to 60 a set. i just done my hatch mondeo mk3.lucky i had a gd 2nd hand rear subframe to fit the new bushes in..took about hr to press in/out bushes as had trouble with 1.about a hr to take out old frame and fit new in and tracking as rear is adjustable..you can get subframes on ebay£114 with new bushes in ready to fit to car my local aftermarket parts place charges 95 including vat. so in total about £150 to £180 with parts n labour.

• 2 weeks later...

Well mechanic had mine all day and did shock rear roll bar bushes drop links front and back rear bushes and front brakes disc and pads and he charged me 450 for the lot don't know individual prices though sorry

Ha would never have thought of that one! How did you narrow it down to that then? What should I look out for?

Cheers for now

With the lid closed just push up and down on it. You will feel some movement.

With the lid closed just push up and down on it. You will feel some movement.

Cheers, no boot is tight! But the little rubbers that cushion it when closing are presished, however, Ive found one source of the bumps, the parcel shelf! had a weight on it and didnt hear it, weight off and it bumps!

But I still do have the mechanical bump sounds, but am off to have a crafty free session at kwik fit, at least they get it on the ramps and look for free...

But wont be using them for any work either...lol

Well found a broken coil spring on the nearside strut! The mechanic chap even tested the bushes and said they're OK, so...just one broke spring to fit so feel a bit happier now I have a potential major cause of the knocks found.

I ended up going to National Tyres as they look for free too, however the quote was £140 for the spring/fitting /vat, so wont be getting any work done there!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club