Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Anybody Removed Their Spare Tyre To Save Weight?

exponential

Hi.

As the title suggests, is doing this going to the extreme to save weight and therefore, save fuel or is it something a lot of people do?

I understand the implications of doing this but with most people having some sort of breakdown cover, it shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts on this guy's?

When I got mine it only came with foam and a compressor so I actually put one in. I think the need for one outweighs any performance or economy gain in my eyes

• Like 1

I would much sooner have a spare tyre on board than save a few pence in petrol by not having one.

• Like 1

The fuel saving from doing this will be miniscule. Better off adjusting your driving style or running with less fuel in the tank, making your Mrs walk etc.

I remember one of the car programs did this a while back and found no performance/economy gains until the whole car had been stripped down to just the drivers seat or something like that.

I deffo wouldn't run without a spare in any case, I would rather change it myself in 10 mins than wait 30 mins or whatever for the AA and then have to be towed to a tyre shop anyway - would be more embarrassing having to tell the AA man I didn't have a spare due to trying to save weight :lol:

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

• Like 1

The fuel saving from doing this will be miniscule. Better off adjusting your driving style or running with less fuel in the tank, making your Mrs walk etc.

I remember one of the car programs did this a while back and found no performance/economy gains until the whole car had been stripped down to just the drivers seat or something like that.

I deffo wouldn't run without a spare in any case, I would rather change it myself in 10 mins than wait 30 mins or whatever for the AA and then have to be towed to a tyre shop anyway - would be more embarrassing having to tell the AA man I didn't have a spare due to trying to save weight :lol:

Sent from my Zetec S using the FOC for Android app

Making the missus walk sounds like something I could get the hang of! :)

I just thought I would ask the question really.

I too would much rather have the spare in there to be honest I mean, can you imagine the converstion you will have when you get a flat on a long journey going on holiday and your missus (if shes not walking) turns around and asks why there is no spare and you have a 2 year old in the back starting to get irritable!

So the spare stays......hehehe.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club