Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve

martyntdci

i know where people stand with this subject and i know this has been discussed very regular..

i own a 2008 1.8tdci kkda lynx, ive had the egr valve totally blanked off now for almost 2years, have a few mods and a map everything is ok....

i rang a rolling road mapper up earlier, and asked if i could have some work done on the rollers etc... he said yes told him mods and he still agreed/what i wanted doing.. then i said my egr valve is blanked THIS was like hitting a brick wall

why is it blanked he said..... stated i had a problem with it and that the majority of peeps i know/speak to have there's blocked/removed..... He was totally against it....

He asked what does it do, so i told him my knowledge etc.... and he corrected me on a few things

stating nox etc.. will rise and is no good for people with asthema etc, he stated it messes around with the air to fuel ratio and confuses the ecu then he stated that it cool's the piston/bores down in compression, and not allowing them to reach over 1300 degrees or else the rings etc will melt then i need a new engine.... this is quite shocking, i know the engines runs hotter, turbo spool's quicker etc but he states that its bad... even though it keeps inlet clean no muck, etc....

so until i take out blanking plates, and have my egr valve fixed/cleaned he is refusing to tune/work on my car....

read......

However, other really nasty problems occur when the EGR valve jams closed: without the cooling effect of the exhaust gases, the engine starts to overheat. Over time, this overheating causes the engine oil that feeds the turbocharger to break down. When the engine oil starts to break down, the bearings in the turbocharger fail. When the bearings fail, the turbocharger will fail, and replacement won’t be cheap. If the turbocharger is replaced without solving the EGR problem, the next turbocharger will also fail before too long.
It gets worse: when the engine overheats, more lubricating oil can enter the combustion chamber and the engine can start running on lubricating oil even if the diesel fuel supply is cut off. The engine may then begin to run on its own engine oil instead of diesel fuel. The driver may be unable to switch off the engine except by stalling it. Eventually, the engine sucks away all the lubricating oil and the engine disintegrates

could this be the reason the car kicks out a little cloud of blue smoke on start up?? just agve it a oil/filter change yesterday, engine runs quieter so the other oil (5k ago) was breaking down....

My dad's just put together a VW that was "running on it's own oil". Very scary thing, it sounds like. He said the only way to stop it is to jam the brakes on and try to stall it, or just wait until it blows up. Either way, not a great situation to find yourself in, because it will cost a fortune to repair.

From the sounds of the car (when it was eventually rebuilt), I wouldn't be surprised if the EGR valve was blanked off. The car has one of those stupid exhausts (on a diesel, really?) and it sounds like a tractor with a massive turbo, and it has that little flutter when the turbo slows down.

This reminds me actually to give my EGR a clean out. You can get a can of stuff to clean it.

Blanking the EGR will not cause the engine to overheat, the EGR operational zone is only at low revs at part throttle, (varies depending on engine) so on full throttle/ higher revs (when the engine produces more power/ more heat) the EGR is closed anyway

An operational EGR (unblanked) will contaminate the inlet (manifold etc) this has long- term detrimental effects on the engine, a blanked/ blocked/ deleted EGR keeps the inlet clean - this is better for the engine - it will last longer

I have run my car now for 9+ years with the EGR blanked/ deleted, it has the original pump, injectors, turbo, pistons, head, block, valves, crank, etc, etc it runs very cool (if anything, too cool) it has a radiator and cooling system, to cool the engine, diesel and air cools the pistons, it does not need an EGR for this

I would not have anyone work on my car that does not properly understand what engines/ EGR valves, etc do - best to get someone who does know these things to work on your car

For example, the head mechanic at a main Ford dealer recommended fitting a solid EGR blanking plate when a FOC member had trouble with their EGR valve

• Like 2

Hi All,

I'm new to all this so bear with me. I have a 57 plate Focus 1.6TDCI. Last year I had some issues with the DPF so had this removed and ECU remapped. A week ago when driving on the motorway doing around 75mph the car started to lose speed then pick up again as if I was pushing on and off the accelerator. I slowed down to 50mph for the rest of the journey and all seemed fine. However it does seem sluggish compared to normal and hasn't gone into a limp mode.

I've now noticed that my fuel consumption has reduced from about 55MPG to 48MPG and someone has told me this could be an EGR issue. I have no idea about cars so would appreciate it if anyone could roughly say what this issue could be.

Cheers in advance

Phil.

Find another re-mapper

• Like 1

Hi All,

I'm new to all this so bear with me. I have a 57 plate Focus 1.6TDCI. Last year I had some issues with the DPF so had this removed and ECU remapped. A week ago when driving on the motorway doing around 75mph the car started to lose speed then pick up again as if I was pushing on and off the accelerator. I slowed down to 50mph for the rest of the journey and all seemed fine. However it does seem sluggish compared to normal and hasn't gone into a limp mode.

I've now noticed that my fuel consumption has reduced from about 55MPG to 48MPG and someone has told me this could be an EGR issue. I have no idea about cars so would appreciate it if anyone could roughly say what this issue could be.

Cheers in advance

Phil.

Funny you should say that mate.

I blanked my EGR a good few months back and my MPG dropped significantly after blanking.

I'm considering removing it but will wait a while longer to see how it goes now the weather is starting to improve.

Find another re-mapper

I didnt have the EGR mapped or by-passed, that was the DPF. EGR has never been touched.

I didnt have the EGR mapped or by-passed, that was the DPF. EGR has never been touched.

sorry i was replying to the OP

this mapper came offered by a friend who has had work done by him.....he re-fuses to touch my car, until problems have been fixed but i told him blanked egr saves inlets/turbo's.... his reply, turbo's run on cool oil which the egr valve seems to cool,(i thought this was the job of the oil cooler?) so hotter oil break's down quicker = sludge build up in turbo and feed pipe.... A... oil change more frequently = better engine maintenance :-)

FOCA, why would my motor kick out blue smoke on start up, only in the morning once been sat... its like oil dripping through into the chambers...... will have to have another look on Saturday morning at the smoke, to see if there is any difference now oil has been changed... oh and oil level is/was under maximum, so there is not to much compression going on....

EXPONENTIAL.... tbh my mpg is fine ive had no worries with it dropping, you should get better mpg in theory... what map did you opt for?

• Like 1

this mapper came offered by a friend who has had work done by him.....he re-fuses to touch my car, until problems have been fixed but i told him blanked egr saves inlets/turbo's.... his reply, turbo's run on cool oil which the egr valve seems to cool,(i thought this was the job of the oil cooler?) so hotter oil break's down quicker = sludge build up in turbo and feed pipe.... A... oil change more frequently = better engine maintenance :-)

FOCA, why would my motor kick out blue smoke on start up, only in the morning once been sat... its like oil dripping through into the chambers...... will have to have another look on Saturday morning at the smoke, to see if there is any difference now oil has been changed... oh and oil level is/was under maximum, so there is not to much compression going on....

EXPONENTIAL.... tbh my mpg is fine ive had no worries with it dropping, you should get better mpg in theory... what map did you opt for?

Hi martyn.

I haven't had a map done yet mate.

The guy I know who is doing my remap is recovering after a major operation so im in limbo at the minute.

When he is well enough to see me, im going to opt for a middle-of-the-road map I think.

I want to try to strike a good balance between more power and good economy.

What did you go for??

Hi martyn.

I haven't had a map done yet mate.

The guy I know who is doing my remap is recovering after a major operation so im in limbo at the minute.

When he is well enough to see me, im going to opt for a middle-of-the-road map I think.

I want to try to strike a good balance between more power and good economy.

What did you go for??

POWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

• Like 1

I think the cold weather has played a part in poor MPG to be fair.

With the EGR blanked, it takes the engine twice as long to get to operating temperature which has an effect on the shorter journeys.

Ive recently learned that turning off your blowers helps the engine warm up that little bit faster so ive been doing that and it certainly seems to work!

My MPG is now slowly creeping up now the weather has improved though....

POWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Theres a slant on that bridge......LOL

:whistling:

Yeah, I was 50/50 on posting that to be fair.....:-SS

I have some very interesting feedback towards egr blanking. First is smoke, my car does not smoke at all at anytime regardless of weather or engine temperature, its just smooth I love it.

Mpg: cold weather definitely reduce your mpg even so with the egr blank although it never dropped to a point that worried me. Recently however my mpg has been improving, this week the car has felt very powerful, take off feels punchy.

Today I got 245 miles with just under half tank left, that's alot considering my first 200 mile has been traffic ridden stop start peak hour driving in london the other 45 mile has been a "fast" dash down the A3 and back

Atm I'm about to do 445miles on a full tank in london, normally I just about reach 400 in the cold (before hitting reserve) the only difference and it is worth mentioning, I did put in half a tank of Shell v power.

For short distance driving I believe egr blanking may reduce mpg too much during winter otherwise it's all good.

Before egr blanking I had slight hesitation in first gear at around 1500rpm always, that disappeared directly after blanking off the egr

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

• Like 1

yep you got it right, maximum power lol

Btw my car has not been remapped yet.

I don't wish to offend anyone but that mechanic is talking out his !Removed!. Engines been running without egr's for years, and its only purpose is to improve emissions. It cannot harm the engine with it blanked or remove that guy obviously takes it personally

• Like 1

because i want my de-cat pipe fitting it needs to be rolling roaded to tune. there is a company not far from me (literally 3 miles away) just found out and they do mapping.... was going to get them to replace the chip inside my ecu with one of there's.

http://www.simon-dean.co.uk/ECU-Remapping/ECU-Tuning.php

How will you pass an mot with a straight pipe?

Or is it cat guts removed?

the mot for a derv is a rev and a fast pass, the cats guts will be removed then seam welded back up... the the under tray covers the cat, and the mot inspector refuses to take these off, as ive asked him to before so he can check under there..... he refuses to take off the tdci engine cover and look underneath.... ive said before il do it for him, but he says no lol..... im with the car at time of mot, literally like 3 steps away. been going to the same bloke now for 5-6 years..... good man he is

• Like 1

The EGR does not cool anything - sounds dodgy to me, as some of that is complete nonsense - again, get someone who knows what they are doing to work on your car

There are lots of reasons why an engine would produce exessive smoke that blanking/ unblanking the EGR would have no effect on whatsoever - for example if you had a holed piston, worn bores or valve guides/ seals, or the turbo oil seal was gone - most likely your smoke is caused by leaking valves

• Like 1