Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St Gear Change

Ian_ST

Hi there.

I picked up my new ST a couple of weeks back and its great, love it to bits. Here's the but......

One cold night a week ago i started her up and went to put it into first but it didn't want to, i put it back in neutral and tried again but it wouldn't slot into gear. I left it a second as she was still warming up anyway and tried third and second, no problem. Then back to first and it went in.

Now occasionally it feels like there's a slight resistance when changing gear while driving along normally, sometimes when getting into first and third once moving. Second, fourth and sixth seem fine and have a smoothness as they slide in but the other two just feel a tad strange. Its just first and third i notice it and occasionally fifth that at times feel a touch...... hard to describe, but maybe clunky like they have to pop in not slide in. It runs great and there's nothing else to report but is this normal with this car? My previous was an '11 plate ZS and that was sweet.

An additional note, when stationary and not running the gears slide perfect, but that's obviously because nothing is moving.

Thanks

Mine has been a bit tricky to get into first a couple of times, the stick moves forward a small amount then meets resistance. Sometimes pushing it a bit helps, other times I go back into neutral and try again and it generally works. I think I might have let the clutch up slightly in neutral once when it didn't go in the second time. I've not had it on any other gears at all.

I just put this down to the synchromesh - in my opinion if nothing is spinning because you are stationary and the clutch is disengaged it can't do anything. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that unless something is spinning the synchro won't be able to align stuff and it won't go in. Putting it into another gear may move things ever so slightly thus allowing it to then go into first. Again though, this is just what I've come up with my mind so it may be complete nonsense!

This doesn't sound quite right to me... I would be tempted to pop along to the dealer for them to take a look.

Does the biting point on the clutch feel alright? Have you tried slight changes in your gear change technique to see if that makes any difference (e.g. pausing for half-a-second between changes, or waiting for a couple of tenths after dipping the clutch before commencing the gear change)?

Sounds like you might have a slight issue with the synchro, especially as it is happening when you change gear whilst driving.

Edited to add - It's quite normal with some cars to have some resistance to selecting first gear when you first start the car and everything is cold, but not normal to get such issues when up and running.

I'd certainly get it checked also. The Fiesta gear changes should be as slick as they come. I've never had any issues.

Thanks for the replies guys, will give the dealer a ring! Appreciate the responses. Will let you know what happens

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Trouble getting into first whilst moving is very normal. Trouble getting it in at a stand still isn't right. The rest of the gears should slot in smoothly at any speed.

Had a problem from new with 1st & 2nd gear being stiffer than other gears, too it back to the dealer and told me to go back after 500 miles and sure enough after that the gears are much better and smoother now.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I was going to add this. The box will be tight from new and will deffo free up.

I've done just over 350 miles so far, varied speeds, short and long runs. I would have thought it would have freed up. But with 500 miles being quoted maybe I should hang fire on it being looked at, but then again it can't hurt

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Never noticed this with mine. Gear change is very slick between all gears. Only problem I've ever had was when not depressing the clutch far enough but that was just user error!

Get the dealer to give it a once over for piece of mind.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club