Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise When Turning At Low Speed

Focus-Jonny

Im getting what sounds like the metallic rubbing/creaking sound that your brakes make if you where to slowly let the pressure off on an incline.

It happens only at low speed 1-5mph when I am usually parking or manoeuvring and lasts a second or two. Im not necessarily using full lock when it happens. It happens both when applying the brakes and not.

I was told by ford that my front control arms will need replaced for mot due to worn bushes but my car passed mot last month without replacing them.

Power steering sounds normal, faint hiss from the pump that gets slightly louder on full lock, and weight of the steering is normal.

Any ideas guys?

Edit-

Car is:

2010 ford focus ZS 1.6 Ti-Vct

27k miles

Never been in an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Odd one, that. My initial thought was power steering, but you've already ruled that out. Maybe your brakes are sticking a little bit?

• Like 1

It sounds more like a metallic rub than a twang its quite loud, but nothing was apparent as it sailed through mot! I might try and get a video of it but its hard to replicate as it only happens certain times.

I used to have a vw polo that was doing the same but it was a plate behind the brake disc that used to catch stones and would rub against the disc.

I take it your ford doesn't have a plate behind the disc..

Could be top mount of the shock absorber thats gone dry .

Try squirt some wd up the shocker.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I don't think it is brake related as it happens under braking and acceleration. It must be suspension related.

The plate isn't really brake related, more of a guard so can happen during braking or acceleration.

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Is not worn pads?

They have an anti squeal shim in there that makes this sort of noise when turning, or moving at low speeds

• Like 1

Ah yeah I see this could be slightly loose causing it to occur only every so often!

The pads should be dead on as it was serviced by ford last month and passed mot!

As Capyain Haddock stated earlier, I had a right fuss with my suspension.

The bearings in the top mount had collapsed so I was getting a grating noise from the bearing race and a twanging/sawing sound from the spring.

The top mount cup is about £20 but the labour is about two hours worth as the whole corner needs dropping.

Get someone to turn your wheels lock to lock while you have your head near the strut top.

You'll soon figure out if that's where the problem is.

• Like 1

Yeah think your right mate I will get my friend who works in a garage to stick it up on a ramp and see whats going on! We can do the fitting so that will save labour charges! Ive hit a few potholes in the past so something must be knackerd

Checking for scragged bearings is probably best done when the wheels are under normal load rather than when at full droop.

You need the springs compressed to really get a good idea of the likely fault location.

Won't a ramp do that?

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

Checking for scragged bearings is probably best done when the wheels are under normal load rather than when at full droop.

You need the springs compressed to really get a good idea of the likely fault location.

Cheers mate i will take that into consideration!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club