Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Non-Starting After Dmf Change

Mondeonewbie

Hi all.

I know I'm new, but I'm hopeful that I will get an answer I desperately need.

I have just changed the dmf on my 2.0tdci 130, put it all back together, but the thing refuses to start.

I have not seen any engine management lights (if there is one), but it does just turn over like it did before I took it apart.

It is low on fuel, but did run perfectly (but rattley) before I started.

Help!?!?!?

John

Have you got the right flywheel? In sure there are differences between certain models with the number of teeth.

It looked exactly the same and was listed for my model.

I'm now really worried that all the work I've done I now have to undo.

The car turns over like it should, it just won't fire up.

Have you reconnected everything and make sure that all connections are tightened correctly earths and so on and so on?

Yes I think so.

Would it not start if there:

A) wasn't enough oil in the gearbox;

b ) the sensor that points at the back of the flywheel is damaged or has been pushed back;

C) wouldn't a warning light come on?

A) wouldn't affect starting

B)Absoluetely yes. But it's quite easy to remove and check in situ.

C) No

The important bit as regards starting is the spacing of the teeth on the rear of the flywheel (not the big teeth on the edge which turn it) which trigger the sensor you refer to. On the diesel they have one space per revolution. This must be in the right position or the engine won't start. You can only check this by standing the flywheels side by side. Check the sensor is a) plugged in and b)undamaged.

i would say that the wrong flywheel has been fitted as the tabs are different for the sensor pickup.

Are they easily damaged? Wouldn't this cause a fault?

I put the new flywheel on correctly (I hope) as I had the locating dowel on and this aided me putting the blumming thing on!

Is there anyone local that could have a look at it for me?

Beer/fuel tokens available!

do you still have the box the flywheel came in? If you do can you tell me the original part no. on it. What year is the car? If it's an LUK part I can check the numbers on their database.

• Like 1

I bought the flywheel 2nd hand from a breakers.

What does it mean if the coil light flashes whilst cranking?

Are the flywheels different on difference power outputs or does it go off the build date?

There are various differences on build dates and power outputs. Buying a 2nd hand DMF is like buying 2nd hand brake shoes!

I hate to sound like I'm giving you a telling off but if your going to all the hassle of changing a dmf/clutch on a mk3 mondeo, given the work involved I wouldn't be installing anything other than brand new parts.

Flying clutchman, I think I'm right in saying you have your ways of doing it in around 4-5 hours on the roadside? A garage will be around 8 hours labour removing the subframe..

6 hours with subframe down 4 leaving it in place just dropping 2 bolts an loosen off ten on steering Column I have to agree with stef second hand dmf like fitting an ash tray on motor bike waste time if u new some wit data logger u could scope crank sensor an if they had saved library could compare with other mondeo might give some indication wats going on

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

How about a second hand airbag? Only used once!

Sent from my HUAWEI Ascend P2 using Ford OC mobile app

I hate to sound like I'm giving you a telling off but if your going to all the hassle of changing a dmf/clutch on a mk3 mondeo, given the work involved I wouldn't be installing anything other than brand new parts.

Flying clutchman, I think I'm right in saying you have your ways of doing it in around 4-5 hours on the roadside? A garage will be around 8 hours labour removing the subframe..

4-5 hours is clutch only. DMF is about another hour fiddling about

I only bought the 2nd hand flywheel as I was out of work and needed to fix it cheaply.

It had less than 5k usage, as seen on the history and the clutch looked new also.

I'm sorry that I couldn't afford new parts, I had to do it on a budget being out of work!

Even buying the new flywheel bolts and oil etc it's still only cost me about £120, where I was looking at sub £300 plus!

Maybe you should think about why I may have done the second hand route before giving me grief and actually try and help me!

I only bought the 2nd hand flywheel as I was out of work and needed to fix it cheaply.

It had less than 5k usage, as seen on the history and the clutch looked new also.

I'm sorry that I couldn't afford new parts, I had to do it on a budget being out of work!

Even buying the new flywheel bolts and oil etc it's still only cost me about £120, where I was looking at sub £300 plus!

Maybe you should think about why I may have done the second hand route before giving me grief and actually try and help me!

Nobody is giving you grief for being out of work and not being able to afford brand new parts - it's understandable that without a job you were trying to do things as cheap as possible. From the replies I can see we are trying to help you. Unfortunately you will find with forums people may seem less than helpful but like any forum it's free for anyone to give their opinion and don't take anything personally.

It's just a massive amount of work to use parts that are not guaranteed to be absolutely perfect or correct as the case may be.

6 hours with subframe down 4 leaving it in place just dropping 2 bolts an loosen off ten on steering Column I have to agree with stef second hand dmf like fitting an ash tray on motor bike waste time if u new some wit data logger u could scope crank sensor an if they had saved library could compare with other mondeo might give some indication wats going on

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

post-39063-0-91974300-1396693181_thumb.p

I am also out of work but there are certain parts you just shouldn't fit used as you have no idea how the car was treated previously, being in the breakers yard in the first place should say something about it. I hope its a simple solution and its fixed soon.

being in the breakers yard in the first place should say something about it
Don't agree with that - lots of cars end up written off due to non-fault accidents and the fact that it's there doesn't necessarily mean it was mistreated in its working life.

But yeah, I wouldn't be taking a punt on a second-hand DMF. Not having a go, just sayin'.

The point is, if you'd have said it was second hand parts to start with everyone would have known the situation.Compatability is always a major headache when buying 2nd hand

Don't agree with that - lots of cars end up written off due to non-fault accidents and the fact that it's there doesn't necessarily mean it was mistreated in its working life.

But yeah, I wouldn't be taking a punt on a second-hand DMF. Not having a go, just sayin'.

Sorry, didn't mean it as it will be mistreated just that you know nothing of the history of the part or even the breaker knows apart from visual inspection etc. It would be a gamble like buying a used cambelt.