Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paint Issues... Opinions And Options?

lockett85

Hi all. So I picked up a 12 plate Focus Titanium X a few weeks ago and yesterday discovered paint is flaking away from inside the boot (behind where the hinge is on the actual boot) the flaking paint is where they use the flexible sealant on the seam. Hard to explain without a picture but unfortunately I don't have one at the moment. I only noticed yesterday when I was removing the dealer sticker from the rear window. I'm not sure what my options are with this. I've yet to phone my dealer but I shall but wondered if anyone has any advice. The issue with the paint is in an area which is impossible to be damaged so it's not a result of that and I'm concerned it may spread as it's pretty bad. About 2-3 inches across. I'll update with a pic ASAP and look forward to any advice. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Edit: Add Pics

y7amyme5.jpg

ahyveby9.jpg

If you have had the car from new or even second hand and the anti perforation/ paint part of the service book is stamped up you should be able to get it done on warranty I had a similar problem on my 09 titanium but previous owner had let the service books lapse.

Surely if you have only had the car a few weeks then you are legally allowed to take it up with the supplying dealer under the supply of goods act. Your purchase must meet your statutory rights one of them being satisfactory quality.

I believe anything that is wrong within the first 6 months of purchase is deemed to have been faulty when the car was supplied to you and you are legally entitled to have the fault rectified

You do have to take wear and tear on a second hand car into account but I think you can safely say paint on a car should last more than 2 years. As an aside I have a 12 plate focus titanium x in what looks like the same colour and I don't have that issue on mine.

These links may help ( if they work)

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/glos/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV0003-1011.txt

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/glos/con1item.cgi?file=*adv0043-1011.txt

It says if it's a purchase under 6 months and you have accepted the goods it is on the supplying dealer to prove the fault wasn't present when they sold it to you.

Upshot is. Phone them and ask what they are prepared to do.

Good luck

Adrian.

Thanks both for the replies. I will be contacting them shortly. I will update..

Edit: For Update.

Called Ford and they was really helpful and put me though to my more local Ford dealer and I have the car booked to an arranged viewing on Tuesday with a paint technician to examine and discuss what will happen next. Will keep this thread updated.

Time to put this thread to rest. Took the car to be inspected and was basically told it was something that would not be covered

1: because it's out of the 1 year paint warranty.

2: it was very likely caused by user error. (Not me)

The guy I see was very helpful and explained it can be a common issue and showed me another case of it. So take note those who read this.

Do not aim pressure washers or anything thing else with a high force in the shut lines of the boot. The paint is on a flexible sealant and being so does not have a hard surface beneath and can easy flex if force is applied. Coupled with a pressure washer for example the paint will just flake away exposing the sealant. No real fix really other then a respray which then still won't solve the issue.

Previous Focus for example used a harder sealant and the issue is very uncommon with them.

So in conclusion I was sent on my way with a touch up stick which I just applied and all is well again.

Pretty poor many other cars dont have that issue typical ford really even cheaper cars have far better paint than that i wouldnt be hsppy with that excuse if youre doing 60mph in heavy rain it will be no different to a jet wash so what ford is saying is no matter what it will keep reoccuring

Is pretty poor excuse. The reference to forced water is mainly if aimed directly into the boot shut lines because that's where the rubber sealant with the issue is. Rain wouldn't really cause it as it would be hard to get the water to directly hit that area I pictured above. Not really trying to make excuses for it as I was bummed after spending 15k on the car but the touch up pen has helped hide it.

I still think they are duty bound to fix it. It may not be covered under warranty but it surely has broken your statutory rights. It's not of satisfactory quality.

They will try and get out of anything.

You should go on honest johns website and ask the question see what response you get back. There's a lot of useful info on there

Indeed you are correct, I had no luck with Ford directly so now I have actually been in contact with my supplying dealer and I am awaiting a reply. I let it stew in my mind a few days and I feel unsatisfied so I will be chasing this up. Thanks again for the help previously :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club