Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Comparison Of Old St And New St

The Dark Knight

I didn't want to call the topic "vs" because that would imply a contest. It isn't, it's just a comparison.

I used to own a Mk6.5 Fiesta ST (2008-2009) and although I have only had the new ST since Wednesday, I thought I would go compare so to speak. Memory may well have faded on certain aspects but I thought it was worth doing and doubtless there are others on here who can compare better.

Economy (boring bit first lol)

The old ST when worked hard would struggle to see 30mpg. I dare say the same applies to the new ST but I haven't had it long enough to comment. Take it steady and the new one will obviously be better on fuel due to the smaller engine and turbo.

Comfort

I had the full leather seats in my old ST and they were comfortable and supportive. The seats in the new ST are better still in my opinion but I will say that from memory, the old ST was better at low speeds. The new ST is very hard but then again, neither were purchased for comfort to be fair. At speed on the motorway, the lack of a 6th gear on the old ST was tiring so the new ST's 6th gear helps. Again, neither designed for motorway cruising.

Interior

The old ST was nice and simple and mine had a good Sony audio unit. The new ST is more upmarket and advanced obviously but perhaps less is more and I did like the simplicity of the old ST. That's not to say I prefer the interior of the old ST, just that I appreciated the simplicity.

Exterior

I loved the look of the old ST. Mine was in performance blue and with everything colour coded, it looked excellent. The new ST looks better still in my opinion and I just love the new alloys.

Handling

When it comes to grip and bodyroll, the new ST is unlike any other hatchback I have owned or driven and that includes a Golf GTI and an Audi A3 S-Line. It is spectacular! The precision from the steering is also epic but when it comes to feel, the old ST might just have the edge. Again, this is reliant upon memory, but that was before the days of electric power steering so the old ST was hydraulic unless I'm mistaken and I can always remember the feel being amazing. Please forgive any memory lapses if that's wrong though lol!

Performance (the best bit)

The old ST was a 2.0 NA engine with 150bhp and about 140lb ft of torque. 0-60 was quoted as 7.9 seconds. This was a cracking engine but it really needed working hard to get the best out of it. I was a bit more foolish then and I remember overtaking a Peugeot 106 GTI going up a hill. The 106 (which was somewhat modded) had 4 youths in so was weighed down a bit. From the start, the lighter 106 was a match for the ST easily but the ST needed winding up into the high revs to get going and exploit the bigger displacement. I cruised past the 106 doing about 60-70 in the end.

The new ST is of course a 1.6 turbo with 180bhp (200bhp on overboost) and 215lb ft of torque. 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. This is a different driving experience altogether and the turbo does the work so you don't have to rev it's head off to make rapid progress. If you do exploit the full power and rev it as well, then progress is simply superb. Pulling away from a tailgating BMW with ease last week demonstrates the performance.

A good comparison is the short slip road to the A38 I join every morning going to work. If it was very busy on there and I needed rapid progress in the old ST, I would need to drop to 2nd because you join the slip road via a very sharp corner with turn in speed of 30 or less. Then I would floor it big time. In the new ST, 3rd gear provides mega power with the low down torque in the same situation.

If traffic was average, 3rd gear would suit the old ST (4th would labour and you could walk faster). In the new ST, 4th picks up nicely indeed after a bit of turbo lag initially. So, two very different engines and two very different approaches to driving them.

Conclusion

One word: Progress!

Final word and photo's

Hope that is a reasonable enough comparison guys and please throw in your own views. I can't comment on value for money too much as I bought the old ST used and the new ST brand new. I also have some photo's of my old ST for you to look at:

CleanST028.jpg

CleanST029.jpg

CleanST036.jpg

CleanST033.jpg

CleanST032.jpg

CleanST031.jpg

CleanST030.jpg

Loved the write up. Made for a good read! :) I really enjoyed the fact you didn't just rave on just about how the new ST is better than the last but gave some fair comparisons.

To be honest, if I wasn't saving up to do my bike test + a bike + all the gear etc I would be saving up to swap my ZS for an ST no doubt haha.

• Like 1

Now we need some pics of the New ST.... ;)

PS. Nice write up

I never drove the old one but I absolutely love mine ! ! :)

post-28841-139687489499_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 2

I'd like to see somebody do similar with the old and new Zetec S (and also a review of the new Zetec S, like your ST review).

I'm supposed to be picking up my ZS in roughly 10 days, but I keep wishing I'd gone for the ST :(

Well written comparison... if only I had finished uni by now so i can get an ST2 :ph34r:

We in South Africa call the different models Ambient, Trend, Sport, Titanium and ST priced from cheapest to most expensive being the ST, now just for interest sake I would like to know were the Zetec S model falls under, then again our Titanium model comes with different specs then yours do, do you only have the Zetec, Titanium and ST model range?

just thought I'd ask here sins I would like to know what to compair ours to....

I believe sport would be Zetec S, Trend would be Zetec and Ambient being the Style

• Like 1

I believe sport would be Zetec S, Trend would be Zetec and Ambient being the Style

Yeah sounds about right :)

Nice write up! Looking forward to the pics of the new one! :)

I'd like to see somebody do similar with the old and new Zetec S (and also a review of the new Zetec S, like your ST review).

I'm supposed to be picking up my ZS in roughly 10 days, but I keep wishing I'd gone for the ST :(

The Old ZS 1.6 was bit of beast, they don't make pony little hatches like that anymore, was a pretty quick little terror for what it was, Pug 106 GTI's and VTR's failed to beat it, shame they are all FE2O3 now.

OT, I hate the old shape ST, it's so weak for what it is, given the fact it cost what £15+K new it was so over priced, in fact with inflation it's the same price as the new ST, a lot more car for your money, but back then VX were charging £14K for a 1.4 Corsa SRI with part leather, Mid 00's car pricing was stupid at one point until the Corsa VXR came out for £16K and gave them all a beat down, still for that era the FST had no chance against the RS 172 / 182, just couldn't be beaten in terms of cost, running costs and general fun, they even return 44MPG on a MWAY and 35 just hooning about, not to mention a 0-60 under 7 seconds.

The Old ST wasn't the best car to be in, in case of stacking it, plus the gear gaiter looks like a butt plug or Femidom.

Just noticed in your pics you haven't got the rubber gaiter, lucky man! Old colleague of mine did, he got bullied over it a lot.

Thanks. There are some pictures of my new ST in this topic: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/54944-the-eagle-has-landed/

Not had chance to take any more yet and it's ready for a wash after all this rain. Grips very well in the wet I must say. I must admit to dawdling on the slip road of the A38 in 4th when a new Corsa SRI closed in rapidly from behind. The safest thing to do here was to go for it so I might actually join the A38 at a safe speed. The consequence of this was that the Corsa SRI disappeard behind me faster than he had emerged lol.

The new ST simply charges forward! I was rewarded with 28mpg for that. A figure not seen since I owned a Land Rover lol

Had mine about a month now. 1100 miles a lot of fun beating cars I wouldn't of expected to that are annoying me !

They always seem to be big BMW's or big audi's but it's always a good sight when you see them getting smaller in the rear view mirror :p

28mpg isn't to bad I'm at 35mpg and that's with a bit of everything which I'm chuffed about. I don't really drive what people would call hard so that maybe why haha ! ! Sad for a 20 yet old I know :p

Great comparison Dave! Proved for a much better read than my Commercial Law text book

How have you found the quality of the interior of the new ST compared to the old? When I get out of my normal mk6.5 and into my friends normal 7, I just feel that the plastics aren't as nice for some reason. They just feel a bit flimsier. Maybe it is just our shoddy Thai built versions in Australia and we were lucky enough to get German built 6.5's.

And as you said the simplicity of the 6.5's interior is nice. Even 7 years down the track I still find it a nice place to be.

We in South Africa call the different models Ambient, Trend, Sport, Titanium and ST priced from cheapest to most expensive being the ST, now just for interest sake I would like to know were the Zetec S model falls under, then again our Titanium model comes with different specs then yours do, do you only have the Zetec, Titanium and ST model range?

just thought I'd ask here sins I would like to know what to compair ours to....

UK range is Studio, Style, Zetec, Zetec S, Titanium, Titanium X & ST which then has ST1, ST2, ST3.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Great comparison Dave! Proved for a much better read than my Commercial Law text book

How have you found the quality of the interior of the new ST compared to the old? When I get out of my normal mk6.5 and into my friends normal 7, I just feel that the plastics aren't as nice for some reason. They just feel a bit flimsier. Maybe it is just our shoddy Thai built versions in Australia and we were lucky enough to get German built 6.5's.

And as you said the simplicity of the 6.5's interior is nice. Even 7 years down the track I still find it a nice place to be.

Thanks. Ah yes, good old Commercial Law lol! I've been doing some reading for solicitors accounts for class this Saturday, yawn!

Back to your question, the new interior is much nicer in terms of upmarket feel. I think the Sony audio system helps tidy things up on the dash instead of the standard dash setup which is a bit 'busy' I think. SYNC still isn't the best though. I used the voice activation when stuck in traffic and asked it to dial home. The first 2 attempts it tried to dial Val and on the 3rd it tried to dial Sianead! FFS! I decided to dial the old fashioned way lol.

On another note, I filled the new ST for the first time the other day. I used standard Shell unleaded which cost £60 to fill to brimming which is only £5 more than the ZS cost to fill. The computer claimed 280 miles until empty but I've covered 30 miles since then and it now says 280 miles until empty. Mixed driving but the new ST is certainly more economical than the old ST.

Reset your trip computer. I get over 400 miles. It's basing you range on the current displayed mpg.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Reset your trip computer. I get over 400 miles. It's basing you range on the current displayed mpg.

Over 400 miles in the ST?! I used to drive with a lead foot in the ZS ecoboost and got approx 350-360 miles from a full tank. I intend to drive much more relaxed in the ST when simply commuting to save fuel but won't be afraid to give it some beans sometimes, naturally.

I reset the MPG computer occasionally on journeys but I reset the trip when I filled up and will check it when I need to fill up again to see how many miles I have actually managed from the full tank.

Over 400 miles though! That's a bold statement and something I never thought the ST could achieve.

Good review Dave and glad your enjoying your new ST. I never owned a MK6 but have always liked the look of them. My daughter is absolutely smitten and keeps threatening to buy herself one. At the end of the day they are cars from different times and so technology has moved on and they will never be the same. My guess will be that many MK6 owners will love those and not the MK7 whereas us MK7's love ours.

Live and let live as both are great cars and Ford have certainly got a winning formula in my opinion.

Over 400 miles in the ST?! I used to drive with a lead foot in the ZS ecoboost and got approx 350-360 miles from a full tank. I intend to drive much more relaxed in the ST when simply commuting to save fuel but won't be afraid to give it some beans sometimes, naturally.

I reset the MPG computer occasionally on journeys but I reset the trip when I filled up and will check it when I need to fill up again to see how many miles I have actually managed from the full tank.

Over 400 miles though! That's a bold statement and something I never thought the ST could achieve.

Here's a pic when I filled up last. 43mpg. post-47848-139722086739_thumb.jpg

Bit off topic but what mats are people getting in their st's dealer said it will have mats but are they just plain black or fiesta branded like the zs ones?

I only got plain ones, the sticker on the back of them says they are the Ford St mats. Weird as my ecoboost had fiesta branded ones, bit cheap really.

I love the way ST owners seem to think they can pull away from all BMW's with ease. 0-60 in 6.9 seconds is the same performance on offer from most mid range BMW's. You might just get away from a BMW 118i with a 0-60 of 7.3 seconds however anything more powerful than that and the ST will be left behind... 125i 6.2 seconds.

I appreciate the ST is good value for the performance on offer however, I'm puzzled as to how all the ST owners seem to be out running all these BMW's.

I have just got my wife a new 1.25 zetec and I'm very impressed with it however, I'm sure my m135 might leave a few ST's in the rear view mirror!

• Like 1

STs can. Most BMWs are 320ds or 120ds with fabric seats and no options. So a badge with for 4 wheels. No offence to BMW drivers and if you have a 320d and you like it, that's cool. It's the aragence I hate of some. I've spent just shy of £30k on my Focus ST3 and yet 320d drives seem to think their better lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club